4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Delete Help Broke Bolt!!!

So I was doing a delete today and just my luck got to the last bolt on the bottom block off plate and was putting it back in. Needless to say it broke off flush. I had soaked it in penetrating oil for days it came out with not to much effort but while putting it back in it snapped. I was using a swivel to get it in and I think it put to much sideways pressure on the bolt. So now I need to get this out. I got the other one in temporarily and started the truck I have a high pitched scream under acceleration now. I hope this is just due to an exhaust leak there. I have seen on the forums to try and weld it but I don't have a welder so I'm going to run it by the local diesel shop and see if they can get it out unless you guys have anything I can try without a welder or doing more damage. I did manage to get the delete pipe, EZ-Lynk with GDP, and the SOTF switch installed which all seem to work well. BTW I used H&S block-off plates I think I should have used the no limit ones now so I could have removed the other pipe and looks like it comes with new screws. I have ordered a set that I may install anyway. I also have an S&B intake on order. Hopefully I can get this all up and running soon.

2011 F250

EZ-Lynk
GDP Tunes
S&B Intake
EGR Delete
DPF Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-07-2017, 04:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Center puch the bolt, dead center several times. Then start with a really small drill bit and work your way up until you can get an easy out in there.

Go real easy on it when you first start the drill, use some lube for cutting fluid. You need Cobalt drill bits too.

If the easy out feels like a spring when you have a wrench on it, STOP. Get the bolt hot and shock with a spritz of water and try again.

It is nerve racking, but it's what it is. Or if you don't have any bits, drill, punch, easy out, then it would be cheaper to take it in.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-07-2017, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you go the Easy Out route be careful...As durapig said if it starts to spring, stop right there...if you break the easy out you are creating more problems since its hardened steel.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-07-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have an easy out but did think about trying that and then worried I would break that off too lol. I also thought about drilling it out and wondered if I just drilled it straight through if it is possible to put a nut and bolt through it? I am mechanically inclined and do most of my own work. However I have never had the pleasure of breaking a bolt off so I'm not super confident in my ability to get it out. I guess I am going to drop it off at the shop and feel like a dumb *** for doing it.

2011 F250

EZ-Lynk
GDP Tunes
S&B Intake
EGR Delete
DPF Delete
post #5 of 19 Old 03-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,116 Times in 2,024 Posts
Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durapig Eater View Post
it would be cheaper to take it in.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #6 of 19 Old 03-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt676 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have an easy out but did think about trying that and then worried I would break that off too lol. I also thought about drilling it out and wondered if I just drilled it straight through if it is possible to put a nut and bolt through it? I am mechanically inclined and do most of my own work. However I have never had the pleasure of breaking a bolt off so I'm not super confident in my ability to get it out. I guess I am going to drop it off at the shop and feel like a dumb *** for doing it.
You can expect an hour or more of butt puckering fun with the easy out. BUT you would gain the confidence and have another punch on your man card.

If you do get an easy out this is not something to cheap out on. You break that off in your hole, it's gonna take a drill bit from NASA to get that mother out. You'll be scared to touch another wrench for a month.

If you end up drilling the whole thing then a helicoil would be the thing to do. It is important to start small and step up in drill size.

Good luck, it's not really that bad but it could be if you get in a hurry.
Barry Smith likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Being a machinist for many years, you might just be better off going the heli-coil route.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-07-2017, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If you go the easy out route. Try a left handed drill bit.
Barry Smith likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-07-2017, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Use quality bits, not walmart stuff. Then install this.

++ TIME-SERT Official Threaded inserts for stripped threads, blown out sparkplugs,

2016 F-250 XL, CC, 4x4

post #10 of 19 Old 03-07-2017, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
On exhaust you definitely want to use anti-seize on all the bolts it'll make removal much easier in the future. If anti-sieze had been used on re-installation it would have made the broken removal a lot easier and might not have broken, so you probably want to use it when you reinstall the new bolts. On the other bolt that's already tight remove and put anti-seize on it. You don't want to drive around with an exhaust leak right there because you could burn a valve. It sucks cold air in and next thing you know that cold air cuts the valve. I would try not to drive it and defiantly do not hot rod it.

I've removed my block off plate probably 4 times, when I tighten I use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and then a 3/8 ratchet to put an extra 1/8 turn. Or do it the correct way and torque it to spec. Those bolts are super easy to over tighten and break. I'm not sure why your using a swivel unless you still have your EGR cooler on if so you need to remove it. Go to Home Depot or O'Reillys and get a reverse tap. It will back the bolt out it does the opposite of a tap. Use new bolts, anti-seize and and an EGT gauge is an absolute must. I have a 2016 my def, DPF, and EGR fell off my truck, craziest thing.

So you still have the EGR cooler still on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in