6.7 Performance Parts Discussion (2011-2016) 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 84 Old 07-25-2016, 04:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just did my diy ccv delete. I have a '12 so no sensor. First off NO WAY i would pay $50 let alone $250 for this mod. Here's what I did.
I unplugged the dummy harness, and removed the hose from the intake and the factory catch can. I used an 1 1/8" bar stool foot to cap off the intake ($2 for a 4 pack), I wanted to use a fernco cap but they start at 1 1/2". I used a 1 1/4"x24' sump pump drain line ($7.50) to run from the catch can to the rear bumper. The sump pump line is corogated black plastic much like the oe hose. I used 2 zip ties to clamp the hose to the catch can since there is almost no pressure at the hose, and ran it along the fuel lines down the fender well and along the outside frame rail, over the forward spring shackle and jumped inside over the frame before the rearward shakle. Zip tied a few times and zip tied to the hitch and cut it off. Cclb and I had 4' of hose left over. Took 20 minutes on the hot blacktop. Got all the stuff from menards but any hardware store should have the stuff. If you do have a sensor you should be able to zip tie it to the barstool foot, or a piece of galvanized pipe or something as such I would think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 Old 07-27-2016, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Well for the life of me, I cannot get that stupid twist lock fitting on the head off. Maybe someone can help me out???
The grey twist lock on the black hose going to the block. Seems like mine's tucked in deeper than the one in the video TX Tru posted

--H
2012 6.7
Too many toys for it to list

Last edited by HLBeef; 07-27-2016 at 01:13 PM.
post #33 of 84 Old 07-27-2016, 01:11 PM

Right hand, hold the fitting, push in and use your iron thumb to twist the grey ring counter clockwise. Should pop right off, but you need to push it in slightly and twist fairly hard on the gray quick connect ring.
HLBeef likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Durapig Eater For This Useful Post:
HLBeef (07-27-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 84 Old 07-27-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durapig Eater View Post
Right hand, hold the fitting, push in and use your iron thumb to twist the grey ring counter clockwise. Should pop right off, but you need to push it in slightly and twist fairly hard on the gray quick connect ring.
OK, so I guess the collar mechanism twists more than I was getting it to. I'll see if I can manage to push it in at the same time. Up pipe is in the way of my fat hands. I'll work on it some more in a little while when it cools down and report back with pictures for those who were wanting some. Thanks Durapig

After reading several threads about the CCV helping to seal the rings and running vented to atmosphere over time can cause lower compression due to rings not sealing like they used to so not sure if the benefits outweigh the long term effects on the rings...I already have the kit so we'll see what I decide and if anyone else will chime in

--H
2012 6.7

Last edited by HLBeef; 07-27-2016 at 01:37 PM.
post #35 of 84 Old 07-27-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Emergency Services

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Got anymore information about the ccv and rings? Has me curious now.
post #36 of 84 Old 07-27-2016, 03:14 PM

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...gatives-3.html

On a 6.0 truck, but same concepts apply. Haven't dug up any information from 6.7 owners yet

--H
2012 6.7
post #37 of 84 Old 07-27-2016, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have a hard time buying that. There should be plenty of lube on the cylinder walls from under the pistons and your always going to have some blow by which will have some oil in it. Same reason you get fuel dilution in your oil, as some gets by the rings. Only recently have all engine ccv's been recycled. The dodge 5.9 is vented directly to atmosphere and i don't think anyone can say they have longevity or compression issues with a straight face. I do wonder about the vacuum differences thou.

2015 f350 lariat ultimate
5" Flo pro
Egr blocker plates
Ndash sotf
Nl stage 2 intake
post #38 of 84 Old 07-27-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappa View Post
I have a hard time buying that. There should be plenty of lube on the cylinder walls from under the pistons and your always going to have some blow by which will have some oil in it. Same reason you get fuel dilution in your oil, as some gets by the rings. Only recently have all engine ccv's been recycled. The dodge 5.9 is vented directly to atmosphere and i don't think anyone can say they have longevity or compression issues with a straight face. I do wonder about the vacuum differences thou.
What I'm more curious in is if the vacuum effect has an effect on the rings seating in our 6.7s and if they incorporated the ccv not only by mandate but used it to keep the rings seated too. way to help them stay sealed or if it doesn't matter so much.

--H
2012 6.7
post #39 of 84 Old 07-27-2016, 07:06 PM

It is only an emissions mandate. If there was a way to pump it directly into the cylinder then MAYBE there would be a benifit of oil for pistons, walls and rings. But the fact of the matter it is introduced into the turbo then the intercooler then the cac pipes then the back of the intake valves. All its doing is coking and gooing up all of those components. Also there is no fuel washing the gunk off of the valves in a direct injection motor. Why do you think catch cans are all the rage for the ecoboost?
Not to mention diesel fuel is a lubricant, or should be, especially if you're running a fuel additive.
At least that's my take on it.
JetExpress_6.7 likes this.
post #40 of 84 Old 07-27-2016, 07:16 PM

I don't think you quite understand what i'm asking--I'm wondering if the ccv being fed into the intake, creating negative pressure in the crankcase, is helping pull the rings downwards and seat properly to seal the chamber as best as they can. I know that the oil fed from the ccv into the intake don't have no role or use in longevity inside the combustion chamber.

--H
2012 6.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode