Full delete and wanting tunes with NO smoke - Page 8 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion (2011-2016) 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 92 Old 04-09-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokenBoost View Post
what year is your truck?
2012. I'll update my sig and stuff after this build. You have any luck so far?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 92 Old 04-09-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggriffin2 View Post
I've got the SCT X4 tuner and NL block & DPF delete and I can't do what y'all are talking about. My turbo drops out at about 2500 RPMS every damn time. No Limit said they can't solve it and neither has anyone else. I've read some threads where this was happening to guys that were pulling but they mentioned other symptoms and they never mentioned what fixed it. This is very frustrating cause I've done the same thing so many other people have but can't duplicate the results. If someone would help me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

2012 6.7.
120k miles.
KN air induction
NL EGR block
DPF delete
SCT x4 tuner
Gear head tunes.
Dude, that sucks. So, has it ever worked right? Did you buy the tuner/tunes brand new from NL?
post #73 of 92 Old 04-09-2016, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratitudefortoday View Post
Dude, that sucks. So, has it ever worked right? Did you buy the tuner/tunes brand new from NL?
Has never worked right. Yes, bought from No Limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 92 Old 04-09-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Has never worked right. Yes, bought from No Limit.
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. You every taken it to a diesel engine shop for diagnosis?

Or return to stock, for that matter, and eliminate if it's a tuning or mechanical issue?

Last edited by gratitudefortoday; 04-09-2016 at 10:01 PM.
post #75 of 92 Old 04-09-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. You every taken it to a diesel engine shop for diagnosis?

Or return to stock, for that matter, and eliminate if it's a tuning or mechanical issue?
At this point it's too late to return to stock. I ran it in stock, or at least tried to, before I installed the custom tune and it stayed in reduced power mode. I'm not going to put all that crap on again either. I've received some good references for shops to take it to but will have to wait until Monday or later.
post #76 of 92 Old 04-10-2016, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
At this point it's too late to return to stock. I ran it in stock, or at least tried to, before I installed the custom tune and it stayed in reduced power mode. I'm not going to put all that crap on again either. I've received some good references for shops to take it to but will have to wait until Monday or later.
From my zero level of experience it seems like you've got mixed up strategies and stock is not stock then is compounded from there. I get the feeling you're running tunes that are not based off of a truly stock strategy from the beginning. Again, good luck, and hopefully getting info a shop on Monday will find and fix your issue.
post #77 of 92 Old 04-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
2012. I'll update my sig and stuff after this build. You have any luck so far?
I haven't called them yet. However I took at look at my available tunes on the programmer. There are set of custom tunes for 2013-2014 and then a separate set for the 2011-2012. So, either way its a completely different strategy for the 13/14 model year. I'd like to compare apples to apples before I go harassing Mike for updated tunes.

Anyone else running a 13/14 on his tunes?

Another thing annoying about the SCT flashing platform is how freakin long it takes to switch tunes. My god... its nearly a 20 minute ordeal. Now that I have a 5'er I switch a lot between Tow and Street. Also, I get extremely ****ty MPG's on the Tow tune. I assume they are dumping fuel at the tow tune to keep the turbo cooler while you are towing. If that's the case, fair enough. I'll sacrifice fuel for keeping the turbo and engine happy.

2014 F-250 SRW | 4 Inch BDS Lift on 325/60/20's | Airlift Air suspension with compressor | dual add a leaf | EGR Block Off | DPF Delete

Last edited by StrokenBoost; 04-10-2016 at 10:24 AM.
post #78 of 92 Old 04-10-2016, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Alright, I've searched and no straight forward answers. I'm a complete tuning novice and I've also just messaged a vendor with not enough "after hours" time for them to respond. Is anyone running a full delete with a tune that has no smoke? Ideally zero smoke? I understand haze and small puffs and all but I'd really like a good and truly no smoke tune. Does this even exist? Research says it's possible and been done. Were they referring to just a haze? If so that's really petty good and I'd like to get to that point if it can't be better. Then the holy grail beyond that is this possible to have no smoke and add a good single turbo kit into the mix?

I just did a full delete using SCT X4 tunes from Rudys Diesel. I've only had it in "street" so far and about 50 miles on it. I notice it shifts really hard from 1st to 2nd and down shifts hard from 6th to 5th. It pushes out some smoke when I mash on it but it's light enough smoke to still see through it. I'm going to try the "tow" tune soon and see if that changes the hard shifting. Can someone tell me how to change tunes? Do I just change from one tune to the other or do I have to do the "install this tune first" tune then change tunes?
post #79 of 92 Old 04-10-2016, 07:47 PM

Videos of Turbo Drop

Here's the links to two Youtube videos I took of my CTS2 while driving.

https://youtu.be/DJD9RCft1Pw

https://youtu.be/_stW17_TlWY
post #80 of 92 Old 04-10-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Here's the links to two Youtube videos I took of my CTS2 while driving.

https://youtu.be/DJD9RCft1Pw

https://youtu.be/_stW17_TlWY
Yeah, see exactly what you're talking about. When I was talking about taking it back to stock I meant tuner wise, back to your stock mapping? Assuming you can do so but still turn off the exhaust stuff? But hey, in the name of this thread, do you have any smoke?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode