110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 465 Old 04-01-2015, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2015 6.7 shuddering, loss of power.

So I am new to the forum and diesels. I recently bought a 2015 F350 with the 6.7 for work. It is 5 months old with 5300 miles. No modifications other than aesthetic ones, toolbox, etc. I always fill up at chevron.

So a month or so ago I noticed a shudder and shaking while trying to accelerate going about 45mph. Not a hard acceleration, just while changing lanes. It was almost like it was starving for fuel.

I have noticed this several times since. Most recently, I could not even keep speed while going up a hill due to an almost total loss of power. It seems the truck will keep speed on a flat, but if any power is needed, I am out of luck. This instance, I know I was in regen, however I cannot be sure about all instances. I have a brother in law that knows much more than I about diesels, and he says this is fairly common with newer trucks while in regen, so maybe that is the issue. If this is the case, it seems to me that I paid a lot for a truck that can only deliver promised performance.....sometimes.

I took it into the dealership (LHM-Sandy for those in the area). They have had it two days and thus far cannot duplicate the problem, though the tech said it feels "generally sluggish". From searches on this forum, it looks like there are people with similar issues in 2011-2012s, but I would hope Ford would have developed a resolution by now.

Are people still having this problem? Is there a service bulletin that I can give to the tech? Any help would be appreciated.

*Sorry for the long winded post, I wanted to give as much info as possible.
Mons-Star and UtahDirt like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Airlock For This Useful Post:
Bear 1 (08-14-2015), Mons-Star (04-14-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 465 Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
You could have the valves sticking during regen when it is dumping more fuel in the driver side of the motor. This was a much bigger issue on the 11-12s until they came out with a TSB and new valves. This problem still can happen and requires the valves to be replaced. Has the dealership forced a regen while driving to try to duplicate it or are they just driving it?

15 6.7 F350 CCSB 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire
Husky mats, all LED interior, Nushield for MFT, Bakflip F1 with Bakbox 2, Dieselsite fuel filter, DeeZee tailgate assist, Hellwig Rear Sway bar, Bilstein 5100s

dlr

**Support the Online Vendors!!! Want your best price, buy from Scott Pratt!! Get your truck in 3-4 weeks, order to delivered!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 465 Old 04-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airlock View Post
So I am new to the forum and diesels. I recently bought a 2015 F350 with the 6.7 for work. It is 5 months old with 5300 miles. No modifications other than aesthetic ones, toolbox, etc. I always fill up at chevron.

So a month or so ago I noticed a shudder and shaking while trying to accelerate going about 45mph. Not a hard acceleration, just while changing lanes. It was almost like it was starving for fuel.

I have noticed this several times since. Most recently, I could not even keep speed while going up a hill due to an almost total loss of power. It seems the truck will keep speed on a flat, but if any power is needed, I am out of luck. This instance, I know I was in regen, however I cannot be sure about all instances. I have a brother in law that knows much more than I about diesels, and he says this is fairly common with newer trucks while in regen, so maybe that is the issue. If this is the case, it seems to me that I paid a lot for a truck that can only deliver promised performance.....sometimes.

I took it into the dealership (LHM-Sandy for those in the area). They have had it two days and thus far cannot duplicate the problem, though the tech said it feels "generally sluggish". From searches on this forum, it looks like there are people with similar issues in 2011-2012s, but I would hope Ford would have developed a resolution by now.

Are people still having this problem? Is there a service bulletin that I can give to the tech? Any help would be appreciated.

*Sorry for the long winded post, I wanted to give as much info as possible.
I have a 2014, I have never lost power during a regen, fuel mileage went to chit, but no loss of power.

2014 F250 Platinum 4x4
4"-4Link BDS Lift, BDS Dual steering stabilizer, Fox 2.0 Shocks.
20" x 10" Fuel Rampage wrapped w / 35x12.50x20 Toyo's
AMP Power Steps
H&S MM w/ Gearhead Tunes / No Limits EGR Delete . Flo-Pro 4" downpipe back w / muffler S&B CAI.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by RigTrash601; 04-02-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 465 Old 04-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
True as see the other threads and forums, that some 2015s have this issue. Mine showed up at the 3 month 4100 mile mark of the break in period with two back to back severe episodes of it in regeneration and Ford has no true fix for the issue and will try to shift the blame for this issue on low cetane diesel and numerous other factors.

Before allowing them to tear down your new engine I would recommend trying this and see if this will help:

Switch to Full Synthetic 5-40 oil

Use generous amounts of Ford Cetane Boost on every fill up

Try the Archoil Diesel Fuel additive to lower the diesel combustion point

For me, my final opinion and updating my progress with this issue on other forums is not yet fully complete but my issue is still occasionally present but less severe since I went to full synthetic oil. I had been using the cetane boost all along and just recently am trying the Archoil fuel performance additive. I am also considering trying the Archoil diesel oil additive on my next oil change but my research on it is not complete yet.

Also be sure and drive your active regeneration out and if you get valve sticking, immediately throttle up through it to not risk damage. It may take up to 23 miles on a regeneration to drive the regeneration to full completion where the soot falls to 1 gram/liter or less as measured by the sensor.

Feel free to send me a private message and I will be glad to speak with you via phone to help prevent you from getting the run around and poor service that I got from my Ford Regional Customer Service representative out of Dearborn.

One dealer did tell a customer Ford was going to try a different PCM strategy to alleviate or prevent the issue. It appears the valve/valve stems/guides just can't take the rapid heat expansion during regeneration. Don't let Ford tell you your valves are coked up in less than 5000 miles.

It does seem like first time this happens though the damage is done and it is a balance in living with it or tearing the engine down and many that have gone that route have had the issue to only come back several thousand miles later.
pjcinmi and Mons-Star like this.

Last edited by wharrell; 04-05-2015 at 04:07 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wharrell For This Useful Post:
Bear 1 (08-14-2015), Mons-Star (04-14-2015)
post #5 of 465 Old 04-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

I would say that if you can recreate the issue, take the tech with you and show him. They need to take care of it.

2005 F-250 Lariat FX4
Sinister Coolant Filter
4" Catback Exhaust/No Muffler
Blue Spring Update
Edge CTS Monitor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
X4 with WPE White Noise Tune

6.0 Hard Starts and No Starts? Check out DTR

Quote:
Originally posted by Heavy_GD
#DTR4Life
post #6 of 465 Old 04-08-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks all for the advice, sorry I have been meaning to update but was out of town.

So for an update:

I got the truck back from the dealer after 3 days. They could not duplicate the problem. I asked them if they forced a regen while testing and they said that they can only do that under certain circumstances. So short answer, no. They said that it was not downshifting properly, so they performed a TCM Adaptive Learn Reset to improve downshifting... I did not notice anything wrong with how it was shifting, but ok. But since they could not duplicate the problem, and I was still correcting the tech on the symptoms that the truck was displaying even as I was picking it up, I seriously doubt the problem is solved. Since the problem is intermittent, I am unsure that I will be able to bring the vehicle in and get seen by a tech while it is still happening.

They more or less ignored the problem that I described, and assumed that I was an idiot (though I can't completely fault them, because I am sure they deal with many). I say this because in the notes it says, "Was unable to verify a lack of power, struggle when driving..... Advise customer that engine will have a feeling of less power and different engine noise when not boosted."

Yeah.... thanks buddy. I know how a damn turbo works. The "lack of power" I was describing was definitely not turbo lag.

Quote:
Also be sure and drive your active regeneration out and if you get valve sticking, immediately throttle up through it to not risk damage. It may take up to 23 miles on a regeneration to drive the regeneration to full completion where the soot falls to 1 gram/liter or less as measured by the sensor.
How will I know when the regen is finished?
Mons-Star likes this.

Last edited by Airlock; 04-08-2015 at 04:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Airlock For This Useful Post:
Mons-Star (04-14-2015)
post #7 of 465 Old 04-14-2015, 08:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2015 6.7 liter F250. I am having what sounds like the same issue. Only on occasions about every 200 miles or so when I am running about 1000 to 1300 RPM in about 5th or 6th gear the valves will start clicking severely and if I to not down shift or increase throttle the engine violently shutters. Fuel milage also decreases to about 8mpg down from about 20mpg when usually running this gear and speed. Ford service techs do not know what I am talking about and ask me if any engine lights are coming on, which they are not.

Help anyone?
Jrazor88 likes this.
post #8 of 465 Old 04-14-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mons-Star View Post
I have a 2015 6.7 liter F250. I am having what sounds like the same issue. Only on occasions about every 200 miles or so when I am running about 1000 to 1300 RPM in about 5th or 6th gear the valves will start clicking severely and if I to not down shift or increase throttle the engine violently shutters. Fuel milage also decreases to about 8mpg down from about 20mpg when usually running this gear and speed. Ford service techs do not know what I am talking about and ask me if any engine lights are coming on, which they are not.

Help anyone?
With the 200 mile interval, I feel it is definitely happening during regeneration cycles, exactly what is happening to the engine during regeneration, I can't explain. My 2014 never gave any indications like that, other than the reduced MPG's, but I never witnessed that amount of difference (12 MPG difference) mine would drop 3 to 5 mpg, according to how I was driving, etc. It's normal to observe some drop in fuel efficiency, IMHO, I don't think it should be like you describe, especially with the other symptoms you mentioned. Unless I happened to see the "cleaning exhaust filter" message pop up, the only way I knew it was in regen was the decreased mileage. I'd get it to your dealer or a mechanic you trust.

2014 F250 Platinum 4x4
4"-4Link BDS Lift, BDS Dual steering stabilizer, Fox 2.0 Shocks.
20" x 10" Fuel Rampage wrapped w / 35x12.50x20 Toyo's
AMP Power Steps
H&S MM w/ Gearhead Tunes / No Limits EGR Delete . Flo-Pro 4" downpipe back w / muffler S&B CAI.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 465 Old 04-15-2015, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I'd ask for a "data recorder."

2013 F-250 lariat scsb FX4.
6.2. 3.73 lockers. Rear wheel liners.
Camper package. Pullrite 18K lb Superslide, Line X sprayed bed.
Krown rust protected.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"
- Christopher Hitchens
post #10 of 465 Old 04-15-2015, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T diesel View Post
I'd ask for a "data recorder."
I went down the data recorder path... it was a dead end.

Ford Customer Service in Dearborn then said 'We only put the recorder on because you insisted that we did'....take your new truck in that is 3 months old and 4100 miles in and let the dealer tear down your engine and rebuild the valves.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ford Super Duty TSB 13-9-15 for Valve Issue.pdf (2.07 MB, 4710 views)

Last edited by wharrell; 04-15-2015 at 04:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode