Low Fuel Rail Pressure code/ Reduced Engine Power Warning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Motor Problems (2011-2016) 6.7 Motor Problems

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 01-12-2015, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low Fuel Rail Pressure code/ Reduced Engine Power Warning

I have a 2013 F250 Super Duty with a 6.7 Powerstroke. I bought it new and the only real modification I have done to it is replace the stock fuel tank with a Titian 50 gallon tank. I use it for a small business I have and I drive it a lot. Most of the miles I put on it are pulling a trailer.
At about 45000 miles I started getting a “reduced engine power “warning and a trouble code for Low Fuel Rail Pressure. I got to a Ford shop in Amarillo, TX. They ran a diagnostic on it and told me that it had a bad sensor. The mechanic told me that this was a problem they had been seeing. He told me that they would have to order the part and if I wanted to continue my trip I probably would not have any more problems with it. I continued to drive the truck for another 12000 miles (about a month and one half). I did have the same issue happen 4 more time (about every 2 to 3 thousand miles). I found that if I stop, turn off the engine then restart it the reduced engine warning goes away and just the CEL remained.
At about 62000 miles the Ford shop in Amarillo called me and asked if I wanted them to replace the sensor. They had ordered the sensor and since received it. I did try to have it fixed prior but that is a story for another day otherwise I would be ranting for at least a page on Ford Service in Albuquerque. Anyway I made arraignments to have it installed the next time I was passing through Amarillo.
After the new sensor was installed the problem went away and never happened again for almost 20000 miles. Then at about 80000 miles I found a small coolant leak that turned out to be the water pump going out. A Ford shop here in Albuquerque replaced the water pump. I ran a trip right after that and the other problem with the same trouble code has raised its ugly head again. During the first trip I made of about 3000 miles it happened twice and each time I had to stop shut off the engine and the reduced engine power warning would go away. I had to make another 1200 mile trip and the issues occurred about every 150 to 200 miles. I took it to a Ford shop here in Albuquerque and that is where it is right now.
Anybody else having issues like this or have any ideas what might be going on. The Ford shops here like charging $250 for diagnostics but they can’t seem to ever duplicate the problem so nothing ever gets fixed unless they have no other option.
Just for reference the fuel filters are changed when they are supposed to be changed and there is no water in the sump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-29-2015, 05:51 PM
Iam
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could you hear the pump getting louder when this happened?
post #3 of 24 Old 01-30-2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To answer your question, no I did not hear the pump get louder. But, let me post an update for the for what its worth dept.

Update to issue: 1/13/2015 The Service Writer called me and told me that the mechanic had determined that the filters were plugged and there were metal (Aluminum) partials were also found in the lower filter. He said they were going to just charge me an hour and I can come and pick up my truck. I told him that because of the totality of the problem, he was full of %$#&. It defies logic that fuel contamination would be the problem given the facts. He had me talk to their senior diesel mechanic. He started out trying to explain how they come to their conclusion. I asked how his conclusion could possibly be the answer give that the problem started over 40000 miles ago. Took a 20000 mile break (after the shop in Amarillo replaced the sensor) Now it has started again. This senior mechanic told me that he was not aware this was an ongoing problem. The service writer had not passed on any information to the mechanics. He just stated in the work order that I had a trouble code pop up. He told me that according to Ford they have to just follow the procedures in the manual. For this particular code that means they check the filters and if they are dirty them that is where they are supposed to stop looking. We had a discussion about how a plugged fuel filter is plugged and does not unplug then plug-up again every 200 miles. He finally agreed that there was probably something else going on. I told him that he felt that the filters needed to be replaced to eliminate that possibility (Again because I was told that Ford procedures dictate that the filters be replaced to continue with the triage I told him to go ahead and change them). He said he would get back to me.
Late in the afternoon I was contacted by the service writer again. He told me they had changed the filters and drove it around (On my fuel). They were able to re-create the issue. Because of this and the information that this has been an ongoing issue that seems to just come and go they contacted Ford. The service writer told me that unfortunately Ford only says they will call back within 8 hours, they would have to keep my truck another night.
On 01/14/2015 about 1000AM the service writer called me. He told me that Ford had called them finally and told them to take the front part of the fuel rail off and run fuel through it to see if the fuel was contaminated. If the fuel was not contaminated then they were going to just replace the fuel system from the pump forward. He said he would get back to me later to tell me what they had found.
Then about 1600 he called me back and said that Ford had requested that they disassemble the fuel system further and send them detailed digital photos of some specific areas so they could determine if there was fuel contamination or not. The service writer went on to tell me that so far he estimated the labor cost to be about $675. He said it was up to me if I wanted them to continue or not. He said I needed to authorize them to continue because if Ford finds rust and determines there was fuel contamination them I would have to pay for the entire cost. He said if Ford can’t find what they are looking for then they would warrantee the work. I told him that was not really much of a choice. I can stop, pay them at least $675 and still have a broken $60,000 truck or I can tell them to go ahead and finance Fords efforts to tell me I am lying to them. I told him that it needed to be fixed because it is of no use to me as it is. He said that even if they finish taking it apart and they do not find any contamination this process would not fix the issue.
Now I am confused at this point because earlier I was told that they were going to run a test at the request of Ford at the high pressure fuel rail to determine if there was fuel contamination. If they did not find any they were going to replace that part of the fuel system to fix my problem. Now they are telling me that in order for them to continue to repair my truck I would have to work with them to show that I should be responsible. Something is terribly wrong with this thinking.

The service writer called me about a day after this to tell me they had found small pieces of aluminum in the fuel lines and injector rail. Ford determined the high pressure pump was failing. They authorized the complete fuel system be replaced. The good part was they warranty covered the who thing (probably close to $12000 in parts and labor). The bad thing is that I had to push very hard to keep them looking at the issue to get it fixed. The reason the Ford shop gave me for the hassle was because so many people are using tuners and burning all kinds of weird fuels that cause rust and failures of the components.

I have the truck back after about 4 weeks and it seems to be working good. Hopefully I have no more problems because the warranty will be gone soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 01-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Boy this could have been a real NIGHTMARE!
congrats.

2013 F-250 lariat scsb FX4.
6.2. 3.73 lockers. Rear wheel liners.
Camper package. Pullrite 18K lb Superslide, Line X sprayed bed.
Krown rust protected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"
- Christopher Hitchens
post #5 of 24 Old 02-01-2015, 06:44 AM
Iam
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This sounds like what I learned yesterday regarding my truck. It's a 2015 F350 Lariat and has just over 11K currently.
So far they said metal was found in the filters, I'll know more Monday.

In the last 37 days, I've had 20+ of Low Pressure Fuel conditions and about 8 Reduced Engine Power episodes, where I had to abandon the truck 3 times. I had it towed the first time on January 19th and the dealer said they could not find anything wrong, and seemed to think the fuel gelled. They also recommended new fuel filters. I had not added any fuel additives since I purchased this and I picked up a bottle of Motorcraft anti-gel. The day after, low pressure again, and almost every day since.
Thursday the 29th, it kept dying and I had to leave it again. I had towed to a different dealer.
Yesterday(1/31) the service manager said they found metal in the filters and they think it may be the high pressure pump. They need to consult with Ford on Monday to see how to proceed. He also said there is a 2 week lead time on the pump, if is the pump that went bad.
I picked up a new filter set after the first dealer visit, even though they had just replaced them, and kept it in the truck. On 1/27 it broke down and I replaced the chassis filter on the side of the road. It ran fine for the rest of the day. The next day- low pressure. On the morning of the 29th, I replaced the filter by the motor. That's the day it died again and I had it towed. Up to this point I was just going on what the first Ford service dept told me, a fuel issue. It didn't seem right, $66k but you can't drive it when it gets below freezing?

Lots of pump noise, you know when the ride is about over. The sound is in the engine compartment, driver side.

Hills trigger this issue, big hills, and little hills. Normally after the hill is crested, about an 1/8 to 1/4 mile later.....that's intially, after 'it' begins, there will be no going up hills. Almost like air is getting into the fuel system?

I can go back to the truck a few hours later and it runs fine.

Outdoor temps ranged from 5 to 45 degrees and the truck is always kept outside.

No trailer pulling and maybe 1,000lbs of cargo on some of the days.

No bio blends, just regular diesel from different places. No mods, it's all factory.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-01-2015, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The way it was explained to me was the chassis filter is the first filter out of the tank then it goes through the motor mounted filter then to the pump. There is supposed to be a screen on the pump that is on the inlet side as a last filter before the fuel goes into the high pressure pump (don't quote me though). If the pump is making metal there is no filtration from there to the injectors. On mine the metal was found from the pump forward. They replaced the pump all the fuel lines and both the injector rails. They were able to get the pump pretty fast. The rails took about two weeks.

I have found that once they find the problem they are pretty good about making it good. The real problem is the problem solving. I drove big trucks for quite a while and when a filter starts to plug up (usually it is water) the truck will bog down and you will really notice the loss of power. It will stay like that until a new filter is installed. It does not come and go. I have had big Cummings freeze up a few times many years ago when I drove big trucks and it has to be pretty cold to have fuel gel with the more modern mixtures. When the fuel gels again it will just bog down and the engine will shut down (either from the exposed fuel lines plugging or the lower filter).

They will always go for the filter and gel route because it is easy and that is what the Ford book says to start with. Unless you have a mechanic that is willing to look a little deeper that is where they will stop until the pump has a total failure.
post #7 of 24 Old 02-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If the screws on your Titan tank were not torqued correctly on install, they may leak, allowing water in your tank and causing reduced engine power. Titan told me this is the most common mistake made by installers. I experienced reduced power/water in lines/frozen lines repeatedly until I spoke with Titan mfg and took my truck back to the installer who torqued the install correctly. After half a year of frozen fuel lines .... Never a problem again. Make sure the nuts / screws on your Titan tank are torqued correctly with a torque wrench. No guessing.
post #8 of 24 Old 02-05-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They were because I did it. Even with that there would be water in the lower fuel filter. When water gets into the fuel (either from openings in the tank or just getting a load of bad fuel) it will be pumped through the lower fuel filter where it would be removed. If there is too much water caught by the filter it will restrict the fuel flow causing the low power condition (or freezing if its too cold). It is a problem that will persist until the filter is replaced. The low power condition will not just come and go. The filter might keep getting plugged with water but then that would be a clue. The water will not just sit in the tank or the fuel lines. It will move with the fuel or settle to the bottom of the tank if it just sits. That's why when you fly an aircraft you drain the sumps before you start the engine and why they suggest you drain the sump in the lower filter of the ford engine when you are in very wet weather.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 2015 6.7 F350 with 16,000 and no mods to the engine or power train (only non-factory is the 5th wheel hitch in the bed) is having the same problem. Fourth time in three months and over a 500 mile distance. Limped in the first two times and had to be loaded and towed in the third time. First two times they checked the filter, third time they changed the fuel pump. I'm concerned I'll be out on the road pulling my 5th wheel in an isolated area. Being towed is bad enough but leaving a 5th wheel on the road is a "no go." This 4th time happened yesterday on a Saturday... will limp in to the dealer Monday (8 June 15) to see what their next answer will be.

Last edited by timpas; 06-07-2015 at 01:28 PM. Reason: error in spelling
post #10 of 24 Old 09-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my 2014 with 68k miles has had many of the issues listed here. the truck is stock and well maintained. At 46K I started getting the low fuel pressure warning and reduced engineer power. After three trips to the dealer they replaced the lift pump. All was good for 2 months let I started getting P0093 codes. Large fuel leaks. The truck would just shut down with no warn. You stuck rolling down the road without power steering or breaks. It's scary in Atlanta rush hour traffic.

The truck now has 68k mile on it. FORD has replaced the lift pump three time and the complete high pressure system. Last time I got the truck back it ran 5 days before the low fuel pressure warning came on again. Nobody has any idea whats wrong with the truck. Currently it has been at the dealer 30 days. They run a few test ford the FORD engineers and then wait 4 or 5 days for the next step. It is total BS.

I love the truck when it's running well, but it is hard to trust the truck when it's spent 2 month out of the 15 month you own it in the shop. We paid good money for these trucks. It is FORD duty/responsibility to fix these issues in a timely manner.
Mahukaawe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in