Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   6.7 Motor Problems (2011-2016) (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7-motor-problems-2011-2016/)
-   -   Deleted, smoke on cold start? (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7-motor-problems-2011-2016/1335537-deleted-smoke-cold-start.html)

BryanDowdy 05-03-2018 11:22 AM

Deleted, smoke on cold start?
 
Truck is a '13 deleted and tuned with a no power/emissions off only tune. This video is a cold start, 34 degrees.

Truck had no smoke prior to deleting. Smoked after delete, thought it maybe a turbo issue so I put the truck back stock and got the turbo replaced. Re-deleted it and it still smokes.

How does this compare to other peoples trucks that are deleted? The smoke smells of diesel.


Old King Coal 05-03-2018 12:27 PM

Mine's a '12.

No smoke. Not even at 12*.

Your other thread said Tyrant tunes. Same here.

I can't really help you with why it's smoking, but it's not normal.

F250_SUPER_4x4 05-03-2018 01:14 PM

Below are the general rules. but first, how long does the smoke last?



Black or Gray Smoke
Smoke may be coming from incomplete fuel combustion
Faulty injection system
Clogged air filter
Wrong grade of fuel
Timing may need to be adjusted
Engine overheating
Oil Leaking on exhaust system
Just Rolling Coal


Blue Smoke
Engine oil being burned or atomized
Engine oil level too high
Worn piston rings, valves or cylinders


White Smoke
Fuel is not burning
Engine cold soaked ***DING, DING, DING***
Faulty injection system
Incorrect timing
Engine overheating

ars5147 05-03-2018 01:21 PM

My 14 does exactly what you showed in the video. Don't worry about it.

The colder it gets, the more "smoke."

0F to -15F, it clouds pretty good, above 0F to your temps, it is similar.

Again, nothing to worry about.

DiggerDerrik 05-03-2018 01:37 PM

My 2011 does this too. About 1/4 as much as yours. I always figured it was from all the oil the CCV system dumps into the intake.

BryanDowdy 05-03-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old King Coal (Post 16017289)
Mine's a '12.

No smoke. Not even at 12*.

Your other thread said Tyrant tunes. Same here.

I can't really help you with why it's smoking, but it's not normal.

I'm running PIP tune right now. I was looking at the Tyrant tunes to see if it would fix the smoke and surge issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F250_SUPER_4x4 (Post 16017425)
Below are the general rules. but first, how long does the smoke last?

The smoke lasts as long as it did in the video. After that its clear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ars5147 (Post 16017449)
My 14 does exactly what you showed in the video. Don't worry about it.

The colder it gets, the more "smoke."

0F to -15F, it clouds pretty good, above 0F to your temps, it is similar.

Again, nothing to worry about.

This is what confuses me. I read of people that get smoke and then read of others who don't. What tune are you running?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiggerDerrik (Post 16017489)
My 2011 does this too. About 1/4 as much as yours. I always figured it was from all the oil the CCV system dumps into the intake.

This is something I was wondering. I'd try a CCV delete if I was pretty confident that was the issue.

Old King Coal 05-03-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanDowdy (Post 16017537)
This is something I was wondering. I'd try a CCV delete if I was pretty confident that was the issue.

Reportedly, these engines produce a lot of blow-by gasses or vapors, but I've read about guys with a CCV delete that used the No Limit oil catch can and they were getting a tablespoon or two of oil in it every oil change. If it is blowing by that much oil to cause your smoke, I can't see it clearing up like yours. If you delete the CCV and that's the cause, it's just going to move where the smoke, or oil, exits.

DiggerDerrik 05-03-2018 03:10 PM

I’m no expert by any means but I’d say no worries about it. You said you’d just recently deleted. So you’ve removed a pretty substantial filter from the exhaust system. One that most certainly would have covered this smoke up.

With what OKC said these do have a lot of blow-by. Try taking your oil cap off with it running. You could blow dry your hair with it if you were looking for the Greased Lightning look. When I test drove mine that was a concern. Till I test drove a 2012 and a 2014 and they all did the same.

SOOTIE 05-03-2018 03:20 PM

It's normal. All 11-14 trucks I have deleted do that in the cold....

ars5147 05-04-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanDowdy (Post 16017537)
This is what confuses me. I read of people that get smoke and then read of others who don't. What tune are you running?

Tyrant SOTF


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vB.Sponsors
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome