LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old 09-25-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm sitting on the side of the road Overtemp

Coming up a hill. Pulling empty 16ft cattle trailer. Truck downshifts. Holds the low gear longer than I'd like. Tap brakes and get a low oil pressure and the truck shuts down.

Oil level is normal. Digital gauge read about 240*. The hand gauge is pegged out. Truck is sluggish to turn over.

Jesus Christ. I may have just killed it.

***Update***

So today, I got the call from the shop.

They pulled it in, cranked it, it ran just like when I tried it here.

They did one test, which I didn't hear what it was because my phone cut out, and it failed. They did a compression test. It failed. So they pulled the oil pan.

Boom goes the dynamite.

There was a lot more of my motor internals in my oil pan than there should have been.

It's dead, Jim.

So, he let me know that they don't rebuild these motors, they just replace them. I don't know if Jasper engines is a nationwide company or regional, but they are a dealer. He told me that he wasn't the biggest fan of their Ford motors, so he also priced a new Ford long block. There was about $300 difference between the two. Ford it is.

$9k.

$1800 labor for the swap. Plus fluids and filter.

I told him that I had the coolant because of the EGR delete that never happened, and he said now would be a great time to do the delete because he was concerned that it might've killed DPF during all this.

So, no labor for the EGR delete, just for installing the exhaust, which next to everything else will be negligible.

Well there it is. We all knew it was coming. He said that this is about the third 6.7 they've seen with the exact same problem. No oil pressure, overheat, death. One was a fire truck with about 6,000 miles on it. They don't even really know what causes it, I guess they don't do a post mortem. Being as this is a new long block, I plan on getting my old engine back. If I do, I'll do one. I'll post pics. And maybe somebody here will have some ideas.

Hopefully in a few weeks, I'll have a new, deleted long block, that will last me for a long time. And smell like a diesel.

Still though.

Feels bad man.

So strong is Tradition that later generations will dream of what they have never seen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Old King Coal; 10-09-2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Add Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 09-25-2017, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,132 Times in 2,040 Posts
Mentioned: 433 Post(s)
Quoted: 3146 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Original thread, for back history. @HeavyAssault @lowmpg

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7...load-tune.html

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #3 of 50 Old 09-25-2017, 01:18 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
UGH....that sucks. I don't see what year truck, maybe it spun a bearing.
Heavy_GD and lowmpg like this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 Old 09-25-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
2012 166k. All was well til it wasn't. I haven't thrown up so that's good.

But I keep seeing dollar signs.😐

So strong is Tradition that later generations will dream of what they have never seen.

post #5 of 50 Old 09-25-2017, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When was the last time you changed the oil in it? Could be a lot of things I suppose. If the oil pressure was low that can cause the over heat or possibly a bad oil pressure release valve possibly which caused the low light when you hit the brake and rpms dropped...but that is just guessing Sorry man.

The Resurrection
post #6 of 50 Old 09-25-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
Changed the oil when I bought it. Probably 3k on that oil. Motorcraft 15w-40. Motorcraft filter.

What's got me tore up is that it doesn't want to turn over. Like it's really straining the starter.

Reckon what a rebuild is going for these days?

I really hope it's not as bad as I think it is. It only ran seconds before it shut off. I thought it might have shut it self down. But idk if they even do that.

post #7 of 50 Old 09-25-2017, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
So now the dust settled, she's home by way of a wrecker. Thanks for the responses folks. I see I didn't really ask a coherent question, but I was kind of in shock at what happened. And my stomach was in my throat cause I knew I had just killed my truck.

So as for details, I'm pulling a 16ft bumper pull cattle trailer heading to pick up a cow/calf pair I was planning on buying. Start up a hill (mountain in these parts), always laugh up the hill at the fact that this truck holds speed up it with no issues, not even coming out of overdrive. So I'm getting a kick out of it doing it again, when it downshifted and started pulling some RPMs. Honestly don't remember how many. Motor sounded great, no issues. Still smiling. Top the hill, truck keeps holding the lower gear. Concern. Tap brakes, upshifts, then BAM Low Oil Pressure. Oh sht. Head for the shoulder, truck quits.

Then I get an Engine Overtemp alarm. Oil temp was ~240 after shutdown. I had seen it about a mile or so previous, and it was ~225. So I gained some temp in a hurry. The needle on the gauge was pegged.

Check oil level, in the hash marks but doesn't smell, right, I guess. Kind of burned I guess. Degas bottle shows to be at the cold fill line, which in hind sight seems wrong. No oil or water on the ground. No steam or anything from the coolant. A little from the oil dipstick tube.

Tried to crank it, cause I knew idling would cool it off quicker. But It wouldn't start. Well that makes sense, PCM sees it's hot and won't let it crank. Wait a few minutes. Oil temp ~200, needle still pegged. Try again, turns over, slow, like a weak battery. Mine are brand new. sht. Let it cool some more, cause we ain't going anywhere anyway. Still the same thing.

Call a ride. Get brothers truck, (Duramax ), he wants to gloat but understands the severity of the situation. End up buying the pair, great deal, and making it home.

Once the father-in-law gets off work, we get his wrecker (handy) and drag her home. He's a solid mechanic, and wants to hear it turn over. Lo and behold. It cranks. Sounds like hell. Not in a "ran out of oil, rods knocking" kind of way but a general "I'm NOT happy" kind of way, and dies. Twice.

So there are signs of life.

With my luck, the engine will still need a complete overhaul, but hope springs eternal.

I've been long winded. And maybe nobody cares. But I figured I'd vent to folks with a like mind.

We're going to drag it to the shop Wednesday morning. It will probably still be some major damage, cause I can't have nothing, but MAYBE it won't be so bad.

As always, I'll update when I know more, in the hopes it helps somebody in the future.

Thanks again, and stay tuned.

post #8 of 50 Old 09-26-2017, 06:03 AM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
were you running a hot tune?

2016 F-250 Super Crew XLT 6.7L
2007 F-250 Super Cab XL 6.0L (sold)

C-A-P-S CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!
post #9 of 50 Old 09-26-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Garage
Completely, 100% stock.

post #10 of 50 Old 09-26-2017, 02:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sooo have you happened to pull any codes?

This sounds somewhat severe to be honest, I know what that sound you're describing is and the slow cranking is telling me something is not wanting to move internally. Bearings maybe...Maybe a rod...Maybe valves...seriously could be a ton of things....

On a stock motor, that's pretty unfortunate. Keep us updated, and i hope it works out for you bud.

--H
2012 6.7
Too many toys for it to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode