• 1 Post By SpyderXLT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-12-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Matt's Tech Files: Vacuum Pump Seal

Hey all, I recently (3 days ago) picked up my second 6.7 in the form of a 2014 F350 DRW Lariat. I've decided to post here each time I complete a repair or maintenance action to help out those who may have questions. First repair: vacuum pump seal.

I brought the truck home, moved my trusty ol' 6.0 out of the driveway and pulled this one in next to the '16. Mind you, my 6.0 has been parked in that spot for nearly two years, and not a drop of oil ever touched the driveway. Within 2 days of parking the DRW there, I had oil spots everywhere (annoying). So, a bit of googling and poking around with the flashlight, and I determined that the cause of the leak was the vacuum pump seal.

Part number: Ford BC3Z-2A572-A
Cost: $10-25 (depending on source). I paid $28 after tax at the dealership.
Job time: 1 to 2 hours.

1) Remove the intake.
- Flat screwdriver.
- 5/16" socket.

2) Release tension on the accessory belt. Note: the tensioner does not have a lock on it, so be quick.
- 3/8" drive ratchet. Longer breaker bar is recommended. Turn clockwise.

3) Remove accessory belt and tuck into an inconspicuous location, where oil will not come into contact.

4) UNPLUG the cooling fan pigtail. Unplug from the smaller of the connectors, closest to the block. The large one that is mounted on the fan assembly is a pain in the rear. Smaller one is much easier.

5) Remove 5 (five) 1/2" bolts securing the cooling fan. 4 are easy to access. The lower left is a bear. You will need an extentsion on your ratchet to reach beneath the belt tensioner.

6) Lift up on the cooling fan assembly and pull outward. It fits nicely inside the fan shroud, sitting forward against the radiator, out of the way.

7) Find your 5/16" socket again and loosen the 4 (four) bolts securing the vacuum pump. Odds are you won't even need a ratchet, as these things have a tendency to loosen up. Mine weren't even finger tight anymore.

8) Pull the vaccum pump straight out from the housing. Be careful not to turn the pump shaft, or you will get oil all over the place. Oil sits inside the pump behind the front cover.

9) Optional: Remove the vacuum hose by releasing tension on the clamp and pulling straight off. You may wish to do this if you'd like to clean up your vacuum pump. Be sure to reinstall the vacuum hose and clamp.

10) Remove the old gasket from the vacuum pump. Replace with a new gasket, being sure to center the bolt holes. Once centered, bend the 3 (three) tabs on the gasket around the lip on the pump to hold the gasket in place.

11) Optional: Clean the vacuum pump bolts thoroughly and apply LockTite to the threads.

12) Seat the vacuum pump in its housing. This may require some turning of the shaft if you moved it.

13) Finger tighten the 4 (four) vacuum pump bolts then torque to 89 inch pounds (7.4 foot pounds if you don't have an inch pound torque wrench).

14) Clean up any excess oil around the vacuum pump and from the nooks and crannies in the engine. Probably not a bad idea to clean up the belt pulleys as well.

15) Lift and position the cooling fan assembly, exercising caution not to damage the harness connector. Slide one of the top bolts through its hole ad finger tighten.

16) Insert and finger tighten the remaining bolts. Note: These should thread in easily by hand. If they don't, you may need to reposition the cooling fan assembly.

17) Torque the 5 (five) cooling fan bolts to 18 foot pounds.

18) Reconnect the pigtail so your cooling fan will actually work again.

19) Reroute your accessory belt. Exercise caution to ensure the belt seats properly on all pulleys.

20) Reinstall intake, securing 1 (one) 5/16" bolt on top and 2 (two) band clamps.

Should be good for another 75k miles (or more).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Vacuum 12.JPG
Views:	5440
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	641034  
v8deuce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 AM

Location: Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada (May to Sept.), Osoyoos, BC, Canada (Oct. to Apr.)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
This is an excellent post, informative and well written. Thank You for this!

Cheers!

Mike
post #3 of 10 Old 08-29-2017, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone explain what is the function of the 6.7 vacuum pump??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-20-2018, 06:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The vacuum pump creates vacuum power to operate the Wastegate valve and other vacuum operated components such as the 4X4 hubs. A working unit will not leak oil and provide 10 pounds of vacuum pressure at idle.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-02-2018, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Any idea if this would be covered under warranty. I'm nearing 36000 miles on a 2-year old truck. Sounds like a job I could do, but if its covered by warranty then I'd rather let the dealership take care of it.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-15-2018, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Warranty for 6.7 Powerstroke Vacuum Pump

I had the same leak for the past month. Was able to tighten 3 of the 4 bolts, but did not fix the leak. I contacted my dealer and the Vacuum Pump is covered under the Emissions 5 Yr/50,000 mile warranty.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you! I had this exact problem, and followed your instructions exactly. Worked out great!

Gary

2014 F250 6.7 Powerstroke w/ two alternators! (Makes a big difference in the pice of the belt)
post #8 of 10 Old 05-11-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks so much for these instructions. I got the gasket for $13 including tax at my local dealership. The directions you put down were very straightforward and accurate. Took my father in law and I a couple hours. Much easier than removing everything on the front end like so many people do. I definitely agree that the lower passenger side bolt on the fan assembly was horrible. That lower driver side bolt on the VP housing was probably the culprit since it was barely screwed in. It was actually backed out so far I was able to just unscrew it with my fingers. I really appreciate you making this tech file for us. Easily saved me several hundred dollars and half a day at the shop. By far the best tutorial for this repair on the web.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 Old 05-12-2019, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone who had this oil leak. Did it leak down onto the steering components below the pump? And do you have any pictures of the oil on the ground?
post #10 of 10 Old 07-09-2019, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshsMowing View Post
Anyone who had this oil leak. Did it leak down onto the steering components below the pump? And do you have any pictures of the oil on the ground?
Thanks a bunch for posting this. I just spent 6 hours changing the turbo oil quick connect fitting thinking was that.

Yes this drips oil all over the front and the steering components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gasket , seal , vacuum , vacuum pump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode