• 2 Post By G8orFord

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-28-2020, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2017 F-250 Exterior Door Handle Replacement

I picked up a 2017 F-250, and was told to look into replacing the drivers side door handle with the passenger side door handle, in order to remove the lock cylinder that thieves target to gain entry to these trucks. I tried doing some searches for the assembly, but can't seem to find any part numbers. Has anyone gone this route or can point me in the direction of where to look?

'05 F-350 CC LB | 35" Tires | Edge Insight CTS | Recon Smoked Cab Lights | HID's | Ranch Hand Brush Guard | Top Gun Customz 2.5" Leveling Kit w/ Bilstein Shocks | PMM EGR Delete | 2011 Tailgate w/Camera and Rear Bumper |4" MBRP Turbo Back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-28-2020, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would that mean you could only unlock the door with your 'electronic' key? Just curious.

2016 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab long bed. Highway Products Pickup Bed. Hulivators when kayaking is in season. Banks iDash gauge. Swapped out stock chrome grill for a Raptor style flat black grill with white LED's. Recon headlights. Baja Designs LED Fog Lamps. Recon smoked marker lights.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-28-2020, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Wouldn't a passenger side handle be backwards if mounted on the driver side? I think you would need a driver side back door handle like p/n JC3Z-2626605-AA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-28-2020, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTommy View Post
Would that mean you could only unlock the door with your 'electronic' key? Just curious.
Correct. Apparently, if the take a pair of plier and twist the lock cylinder counter clockwise while the handle is pulled, it allows them to unlock the dorrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
Wouldn't a passenger side handle be backwards if mounted on the driver side? I think you would need a driver side back door handle like p/n JC3Z-2626605-AA
Yes, you would flip the passenger handle and I believe trim one tab, while still maintaining the smart key function on the drivers side door.

'05 F-350 CC LB | 35" Tires | Edge Insight CTS | Recon Smoked Cab Lights | HID's | Ranch Hand Brush Guard | Top Gun Customz 2.5" Leveling Kit w/ Bilstein Shocks | PMM EGR Delete | 2011 Tailgate w/Camera and Rear Bumper |4" MBRP Turbo Back
post #5 of 8 Old 01-28-2020, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
Originally Posted by MrTommy View Post

Correct. Apparently, if the take a pair of plier and twist the lock cylinder counter clockwise while the handle is pulled, it allows them to unlock the doors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, I've never heard that.

All this electronic stuff tends to scare me though. I'm an old guy. So if your key battery is not up to snuff, and for some reason all those numbers on the driver's side door go dead, it seems like you can't get into the truck. Our pickups are not even in the current top ten of vehicles stolen these days (though I guess it depends on where you live).

2016 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab long bed. Highway Products Pickup Bed. Hulivators when kayaking is in season. Banks iDash gauge. Swapped out stock chrome grill for a Raptor style flat black grill with white LED's. Recon headlights. Baja Designs LED Fog Lamps. Recon smoked marker lights.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-28-2020, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,086 Times in 1,014 Posts
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Garage
I'm all for being diligent and proactive to protect yourself and your property from thieves and other vermin criminals, but I refuse to redirect my lifestyle to do so.

While it's certainly not an everyday occurrence that you would need to get into your vehicle and either your fob was dead or the truck batteries themselves were dead, it is a distinct possibility. If that particular time happened to be when you or your wife/girlfriend/daughter needed to get into the truck quickly to escape a possible incident, how would you feel about it then?

Just my opinion, do as you wish. but think it through first.
MrTommy likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #7 of 8 Old 01-29-2020, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
I'm all for being diligent and proactive to protect yourself and your property from thieves and other vermin criminals, but I refuse to redirect my lifestyle to do so.

While it's certainly not an everyday occurrence that you would need to get into your vehicle and either your fob was dead or the truck batteries themselves were dead, it is a distinct possibility. If that particular time happened to be when you or your wife/girlfriend/daughter needed to get into the truck quickly to escape a possible incident, how would you feel about it then?

Just my opinion, do as you wish. but think it through first.
One of my concerns was losing access to the vehicle in the event of battery failure on the truck or key side, when I was told about the lock issue. I would think even a sleeve that just spins around the cylinder would thwart most attempts, but again, not sure where to even look, or who would offer a solution. Here is south Texas these trucks are targeted pretty frequently. I've had my '05 broken into 3 times; thankfully never stolen. Now we just don't drive it to most places.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-29-2020, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,086 Times in 1,014 Posts
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Garage
Honestly, I haven't heard of any problems with thieves breaking the locks on the the 17+ trucks. Not saying it isn't a thing, just this is the first I've heard of it. The '99-'16 models were fairly easy to break into through the door handle and the '99-'07 trucks were easy to steal with no PATS system.

FWIW, I'm a believer that a lock is only going to keep an honest person honest anyway. If someone really wants to get into your truck, the lack of a keyhole in the door handle is not going to stop them. I'd install an alarm and make sure I didn't leave valuables in plain sight before I replaced the door handle. Anyone that's going to take the time to break the lock, isn't a an opportunistic thief, they saw something in the truck that made it worth their while. As far as theft goes, if they can get past the PATS, the door handle isn't going to stop them.
MrTommy and Live Orange like this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode