LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-30-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Paint, Line or Dip Bumpers???

Question for you all...

So I'm wanting to match paint for my front and back bumpers. Too save some money, I was going to prep the existing chrome ones and then paint them gloss black (Ford UA Paint Equivalent). My truck is Tuxedo Black (Ford UH Paint Code) but figured going gloss black shouldn't make that big of a difference. While I was at it, was going to paint the grill the same gloss black (UA).

Anyhow, I started to think about maybe doing a black rhino liner on the bumpers instead. Or even a black plasti dip so I can return them to chrome easily enough if I ever wanted to.

Has anyone with the tuxedo black ever do the black rhino liner or plasti dip on the bumpers? Wondering if it would look good or bad.

Here is a side view of my truck for reference. Just not sure a dull black color on the bumpers would make it look terrible. Opinions? Thanks.

2015 F-350 Lariat Ultimate FX4 6.7 ReadyLift 3.5" SST, 35x12.5 Firestone Destination MTs, Slimmed down a bit...
2006 F-250 Lariat FX4 6.0L 6" Lift, 37x12.5 Nitto Mud Grappler, 20x10 Fuel Hostage Black, Studded, Deleted, Many additional Mods - Traded

My Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-30-2017, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
FWIW stay away from the dip, it only looks good for six months no matter how many coats you do and/or if you add glossifier...

Honestly the best option is to take it to a shop and have them strip the chrome and paint over it whatever you want; rattle can won't look good over a chromed bumper..just doesn't stick well off the bat.

I had my local shop throw a bunch of chemicals on my chrome and they color matched my grille for me and I wish I knew what they put on it to strip it so I could do my back bumper too.

--H
2012 6.7
Too many toys for it to list
post #3 of 18 Old 11-30-2017, 03:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLBeef View Post
FWIW stay away from the dip, it only looks good for six months no matter how many coats you do and/or if you add glossifier...

Honestly the best option is to take it to a shop and have them strip the chrome and paint over it whatever you want; rattle can won't look good over a chromed bumper..just doesn't stick well off the bat.

I had my local shop throw a bunch of chemicals on my chrome and they color matched my grille for me and I wish I knew what they put on it to strip it so I could do my back bumper too.
In most cased i would agree with the dip comment. However if you use the DYC dip coat afterwards it greatly prolongs life and even feel. It instantly turns it from a somewhat rubbery grippy feel to smooth. I have had 4 coats of black and 2 of clear glossifier on the grille for a year here in Michigan with countless highway miles and big *** bug/rock impacts. Not a single chip out of it at all. The regular paint job i did prior was hammered after a month.

Dipcoat is key

I also do full vehicle sprays with the pro kit. I have done roughly 15 cars after learning a screwing up probably 10 times on my own vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-30-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljay74 View Post
In most cased i would agree with the dip comment. However if you use the DYC dip coat afterwards it greatly prolongs life and even feel. It instantly turns it from a somewhat rubbery grippy feel to smooth. I have had 4 coats of black and 2 of clear glossifier on the grille for a year here in Michigan with countless highway miles and big asd bug/rock impacts. Not a single chip out of it at all. The regular paint job i did prior was hammered after a month.

Dipcoat is key

I also do full vehicle sprays with the pro kit. I have done roughly 15 cars after learning a screwing up probably 10 times on my own vehicles.

I haven't tried dipcoat, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about just yet...I'll look into it sometime. Thank you bud

--H
2012 6.7
post #5 of 18 Old 11-30-2017, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
I haven't tried dipcoat, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about just yet...I'll look into it sometime. Thank you bud
Anytime man. Not calling anyone out just trying to help. I know i was frustrated and watched a ton if DYC videos until i got the hang of it. Now i dip everything because it holds up so much better than rattle canning.

Like you mentioned....multiple coats are key not only from a durability standpoint but ease of peeling when you want to.

john galt likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-30-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljay74 View Post
Anytime man. Not calling anyone out just trying to help. I know i was frustrated and watched a ton if DYC videos until i got the hang of it. Now i dip everything because it holds up so much better than rattle canning.

Like you mentioned....multiple coats are key not only from a durability standpoint but ease of peeling when you want to.

No no, I know you ain't calling me out. You learn of some new product or new method you haven't tried yet, everyday. This just happens to be one of those days and imma have to try it out at some point.

--H
2012 6.7
post #7 of 18 Old 11-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
No no, I know you ain't calling me out. You learn of some new product or new method you haven't tried yet, everyday. This just happens to be one of those days and imma have to try it out at some point.
Good luck man. The bottle goes a very long way so thats a plus.

post #8 of 18 Old 11-30-2017, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
I sprayed mine with plastic dip, it was pretty good for the look I was going for, but after a little while it did get some dings. So, I sprayed bed liner on them, that looked great and coated just fine, there was no issue. However, after my accident where the truck was rolled, the whole thing was repainted in tuxedo black.

The Resurrection
post #9 of 18 Old 11-30-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I've been doing my research on dipping as I see that being the easiest/cheapest of the methods that is 'reversible'. I did watch a video on the dipcoat application from DYC, but it seems that is something that needs reapplied often. I watched some videos and read about clear coating over the dip, which gives it a more glossy look than the glossifier and protects it more, but obviously makes it harder for removal but still removable. I think, since i'm dealing with chrome, I'm leaning towards trying dip and applying clear coat. Making it harder to remove really isn't a concern with the clear coat for me since it's just bumpers. At worst case, I sand it all off, continue sanding and then start all over again.
@lowmpg any pics of it dipped before your wreck?

2015 F-350 Lariat Ultimate FX4 6.7 ReadyLift 3.5" SST, 35x12.5 Firestone Destination MTs, Slimmed down a bit...
2006 F-250 Lariat FX4 6.0L 6" Lift, 37x12.5 Nitto Mud Grappler, 20x10 Fuel Hostage Black, Studded, Deleted, Many additional Mods - Traded

My Thread

post #10 of 18 Old 11-30-2017, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Justinlw
Have you thought about wrapping it? You can probably find a good film that will match, and be pretty durable. Also removable if needed.

2010 F250 Lariat FX4 6.4l
Carli Backcountry 2.5", 11+ Leaf Springs, Tyrant Tuned, Edge Insight CTS, RCD EGR Delete/Elbow/Cold Side, H&S S364SXE Single, BPD Full Oil Cooler/Filter Relocate, FASS Pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode