6.7 Electronics Discussion (2017-2019) 6.7 Electronics Discussion

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-29-2018, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stereo Upgrade ??

Hello everyone, yesterday I started upgrading the factory stereo on my 2017 F250 Platinum but I have some questions. My goal is to do a full system upgrade minus the head unit. Yesterday i applied some Soundskins to all four doors and replaced the factory speakers with Focal components in the front, Focal K2 coax on rear doors. I plan to replace factory amp with Audio Control D6.1200 once is released so for now the factory Sony amps is powering the we speakers. So now to my questions :

1. Is it ok to use the factory speaker wiring even with aftermarket amps?

2. Anyone knows the factory Sony system frequency range for tweeters ?

Currently the Focal tweeters are not connected since I知 not sure if they値l get fried if I connect them to factory tweeter wires. I will not be using the Focal crossovers since I can set my own crossover points with the aftermarket amp. In the mean time I would like to power the Focal tweeters with the factory amp. Is this possible?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7EA16340-13D6-4F9F-A2F2-5DE880D1DE82.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	704197   Click image for larger version

Name:	82E6964C-370C-4EE6-8370-CEAD432D2397.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	704199  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-29-2018, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,111 Times in 2,018 Posts
Mentioned: 428 Post(s)
Quoted: 3119 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
For frequency you may want to google search an audio forum... as for the wiring, most will argue its not the "best" but it will certainly work.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #3 of 20 Old 06-29-2018, 08:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxx2003 View Post
Hello everyone, yesterday I started upgrading the factory stereo on my 2017 F250 Platinum but I have some questions. My goal is to do a full system upgrade minus the head unit. Yesterday i applied some Soundskins to all four doors and replaced the factory speakers with Focal components in the front, Focal K2 coax on rear doors. I plan to replace factory amp with Audio Control D6.1200 once is released so for now the factory Sony amps is powering the we speakers. So now to my questions :

1. Is it ok to use the factory speaker wiring even with aftermarket amps?

2. Anyone knows the factory Sony system frequency range for tweeters ?

Currently the Focal tweeters are not connected since I知 not sure if they値l get fried if I connect them to factory tweeter wires. I will not be using the Focal crossovers since I can set my own crossover points with the aftermarket amp. In the mean time I would like to power the Focal tweeters with the factory amp. Is this possible?

Thank you!

checkout crutchfield. They usually have everything you need from kits, wire harness adapters, and everything really lol. I upgraded my sound system on my 1999 and their speakers came with the wire harness adapters, din adapters, wire harness from my 19 year old ford to a nice kenwood system etc.
john galt likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-29-2018, 09:15 AM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 429 Post(s)
Quoted: 3123 Post(s)
my biggest input is
@mhatlen
i guess i can add i got a Kenwood a year or so ago and aside from having a stereo that wants me to log in
i love the thing

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #5 of 20 Old 06-29-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

So I知 regards to the wiring, is this something that could make such a difference that can possibly affect the sound quality if deciding to use factory wires?
post #6 of 20 Old 07-02-2018, 02:55 PM

The factory tweeters are protected by an inline capacitor. You can't just ask what frequency the factory tweeters play at and expect the Focals to play at the same frequency as they most likely have a different impedance. I recommend you replace them with whatever Focal recommends for protecting those tweeters. This is good insurance on an active system.

Since you have the Sony system, you should consider bypassing it with the AmpPro AP4-FD21. Sony definitely cuts lower frequencies to protect their crappy speakers.

The factory wires will not affect sound quality, but may limit output a little. You are going to need to run new wires to the tweeters as the factory piggy backs them off the front doors (meaning you will have to reinstall the capacitors on the new wires or pre-plan and do it now with lots of extra wire under the dash).
post #7 of 20 Old 07-02-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Kreep, thanks for your response; yes my ultimate goal is to completely bypass the factory Sony amp as it is the amp what has the stupid crossover curves that tend to cut back on bass as you increase the volume on these Sony premium systems. But in my case Im upgrading not all at once and since I already installed the speakers I was hoping to get to listen to the new speakers powered by the factory system while I save for the rest of the components. Besides Im still awaiting for Audio Control to release their new D6.1200 amp. I called AD today and the projected release date is July 15th. I guess ill have to wait until i get the rest of the components before I can listen to these speakers they correct way.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-03-2018, 06:42 AM

That's a good plan. I suspect you would have to crank the volume with the Sony amp and run the risk of clipping. No sense damaging your new speakers. I do recommend you get some caps to protect the tweeters, its way to easy to accidently set the crossover too low and pop them...
post #9 of 20 Old 07-04-2018, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Kreep, I was thinking of doing that but I知 not sure which caps to get that would do the trick. And yes if I set the volume past 20 I can tell there is a little distortion. So right now I知 not really cranking the volume too much in order to protect the new speaker sets.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-05-2018, 06:54 AM

Focal tech support can tell you. There are also online calculators.

Unfortunately my post count isn't high enough to embed links, so hopefully your Google-Fu is up to the task.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in