7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 55 Old 04-04-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the Joycon EXC. the EXC model is needed because the stereo uses the CAN BUS network to give the commands to the factory stereo. i have the joycon set up so i can see the messages but it is far from "simply" hooking it up and programming. Let me know if you find an install video using the CAN BUS setup because i am having no luck in figuring out these messages. my next step is getting a wire diagram from ford to see if i can find out where the restive wires are instead. But that will probably have me digging farther in the dash to pick that signal up.

2011 F350 4x4 XLT Super Cab,
Nexus 7 dash install.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EZ-Lynk PPEI SOTF Tunes
DP back Flo Pro Dual Exhaust
EGR Delete with pass-through plate
No Limit Stage 2 5" intake
more to come
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 04-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I found this thread on XDA-developers...

Audi A4 In Dash Install - Pg. 3 | Nexus 7 | XDA Forums

I didn't read all of it, but this looks like it could be what you're looking for:
"Not quite... in newer Audi's, VW's (I am sure also in SEAT's, Skoda's) and I believe it is also in some Ford's, so I am sure other manufacturers as well. CAN-BUS is the protocol used by all the car's computers to talk to one another.

The Joycon cannot interpret CAN-BUS signals, so a converter is needed to sit between the CAN-BUS (vehicle wiring harness) and the Joycon, that takes the CAN-BUS signal, and converts it to a signal that the Joycon can read (resistance). For me a wiring harness that would have been used for me to install an aftermarket head unit in my car does this conversion piece, I believe PAC-Parts make them as well as some others."

They also talk about a UI. Are you looking at any particular one right now?

Lewis

2014 F-250 XLT CCSB 4X4

post #33 of 55 Old 04-04-2015, 06:48 PM

This talks about going to the "clock spring for the signal

Where to get the signal of steering wheel controls for Car PC

Lewis

2014 F-250 XLT CCSB 4X4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 55 Old 04-04-2015, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
He is probably talking about an older Joycon. the first few versions that they put out couldn't interpret the CAN-BUS but they have a newer one, the EXC, that can. the problem is the directions that come with it are really hard to understand. I also can't find a video of anyone setting up the EXC. I'm trying to not buy yet another module to convert signals again. In the steering wheel the buttons are the resistance set up. i have pulled them out and tested this. from there it goes to a SCCM (steering column control module) that converts it to the CAN-BUS. It is then run over to the stereo. I can't figure out the CAN-BUS messages so i am going to see if i can pick up the resistance signal before it goes into the SCCM. If i can't do that i will probably have to buy the PAC module to convert it again but its another part to fail that i am trying to avoid.

Nexus 7 dash install.

EZ-Lynk PPEI SOTF Tunes
more to come
post #35 of 55 Old 04-04-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7lvo View Post
This talks about going to the "clock spring for the signal

Where to get the signal of steering wheel controls for Car PC
The second picture in this post is how the truck is set up. the difference is the EXC "can" read the CAN-BUS if you can pick out what message is the button. Sadly it isn't as easy as push button see one message. when ever i push 1 button i get alot of messages. i found a wire diagram that shows how the buttons interface to the clock spring and to the SCCM. the problem is i don't know if i can get that signal. I can't find anything by searching for the SCCM. So i'm begining to think its apart of the clockspring. if that is the case i won't be able to get to the resistance wires.

Attached is the PDF showing several diffent wire diagrams for the stereo. Page 16 shows the steering wheel setup ( at least for my truck)

EDIT: here is the link to the new joycon EXC
http://www.rcjoycon.com/default/menu...m_board_page=&
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011 superduty stereo wiring.pdf (532.0 KB, 155 views)

Nexus 7 dash install.

EZ-Lynk PPEI SOTF Tunes
more to come
post #36 of 55 Old 04-04-2015, 08:17 PM

I've heard comments on several Ford Truck boards/threads that the controls on the steering wheel are defined by the individual resistances they develop. This is usual in the answer to a problem that includes incorrect responses from the various controls, and the fix usually includes replacing the "clock spring." Could you tie in between the clock spring and the SCCM? There's a slight chance it would load it down enough to mess up the signals to the SCCM, but the Joycon should draw next to nothing.

On a separate note, I see that pin 1 is labeled Batt, pin 2 - del/acc, and pin 3 - START. That must be how they keep power during engine start. It must be diode isolated.

Lewis

2014 F-250 XLT CCSB 4X4

Last edited by k7lvo; 04-04-2015 at 08:22 PM.
post #37 of 55 Old 04-08-2015, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7lvo View Post
I've heard comments on several Ford Truck boards/threads that the controls on the steering wheel are defined by the individual resistances they develop. This is usual in the answer to a problem that includes incorrect responses from the various controls, and the fix usually includes replacing the "clock spring." Could you tie in between the clock spring and the SCCM? There's a slight chance it would load it down enough to mess up the signals to the SCCM, but the Joycon should draw next to nothing.

On a separate note, I see that pin 1 is labeled Batt, pin 2 - del/acc, and pin 3 - START. That must be how they keep power during engine start. It must be diode isolated.
What page are you seeing Pin 3 start? i see on the first one labeled as 15 but i'm not seeing it as 3?

Nexus 7 dash install.

EZ-Lynk PPEI SOTF Tunes
more to come
post #38 of 55 Old 04-08-2015, 07:08 PM

I don't know where I got 3 from. It's pin 15.

Lewis

2014 F-250 XLT CCSB 4X4

post #39 of 55 Old 04-11-2015, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
On good news i found another place to pull power from that should be both run and start. will do more testing. I picked up a tuner the other day and it said to pull signal from fuse 52 in the engine bay. will do some more research on this but if it holds true i will probably use that to run my relay also.

now the bad ish news. as far as i can tell the SCCM and the clock spring set up against each other so there is no wire connection. just pins and compression contacts. with that it leaves no place to directly pick up the resitance signal. i am debating pulling the steering wheel and clock spring to see how it is set up to see if i can fit some wires in there to pull the signal. if not the best option would be to just but yet another module to read the can bus and get that output. PAX puts out a module for after market radios. from what i can tell it converts the can bus output into voltage readings that the joycon can then convert to usb. will probably spend some more time today seeing if i can make any sense of the can-bus messages. I really don't want to get another module.

Nexus 7 dash install.

EZ-Lynk PPEI SOTF Tunes
more to come
post #40 of 55 Old 04-12-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
So more good news I found what CAN messages are for Media, Seek, and volume. I will post more information on the configuration of the joycon once i get it fully working. as of right now the joycon is seeing me press the button but it thinks i'm holding it down so i am looking at settings to see what i have wrong but this means no need to buy the other module as the joycon EXC can see the correct messages... just a pain in the but to figure out.

Nexus 7 dash install.

EZ-Lynk PPEI SOTF Tunes
more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode