post #21 of 55 Old 03-28-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7lvo View Post
SuchTrk, I hope your project is progressing satisfactorily. So far I've obtained:
and

The N7 is rooted and Temur's Kernel is installed; everything seems to be running fine.

A couple of confusing things:
1. The replacement 90* micro USB cable isn't listed as an OTG cable, but it seems to be doing the job.

2. The description on Amazon for the "Y" cable specifically states that it won't charge the tablet, but it is. ???

I connected the OTG "Y" cable in line with the standard N7 charger while watching the Power Event Manager. I enabled F1 mode, fast charging, and firm sleep. Show suspend screen... And show wake up toast were enabled by default.

External power and charging battery indicated correctly when the power cable was plugged into the female micro USB. The tablet shut down and came back to life when power was disconnected and reconnected.

Where did you find the 12V switched that stays hot while the key is in the "start" position? It doesn't appear that the 12V switched to the stock radio does.

I am currently using the one in the harness but sadly it does not stay on while cranking. I am currently on travel for work right now so I haven't been able to mess with it in a week or so. I apologize for the slow response

For charging with the Y cable it has to do mostly with software and the hardware in the tablet. If you were to uninstall Timur's kernel you wouldn't be able to charge at the same time. Due to how the stock software is designed. On stock otg I'd you plug in say a USB drive it will pull power from the tablet. Since the tablet is outputting power it can't charge. The kernal changes how that works. With their kenal installed and ( if I remember correctly) have fi mode enabled in PEM then if you just plug in the USB thumb drive it won't work till you plug in a power source. That is because the kernal stopes the tablet from putting out power so it can charge instead.

Last edited by SuchTrk; 03-28-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 Old 03-28-2015, 12:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I figured you might be away from home...

I've been experimenting while I'm on the road in my work truck. The audio from the 3.5mm jack sounds really good, but there's an issue when the unit's charging. It has a continuous tone with the audio. Looks like some kind of ground loop issue, but it's not alternator whine - it doesn't change with engine rpm.

Another funny thing is that the FI won't work with the 90* cable in the circuit UNLESS THERE IS SOMETHING PLUGGED INTO THE USB (non-charging) port. And, yes, the USB device won't operate unless the external power is plugged in.

Well, stay out of trouble on your road trip. you'll probably have thought of plenty of new ideas by the time you get home.

Lewis

2014 F-250 XLT CCSB 4X4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 55 Old 03-28-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Hmm intresting that the 90 degree causes that. I have some usb terminations coming in (hhopefully) soon. I'm going to wire up my own "Y" cable. I think the wires are too small in mine to allow it to charge fast enough. I will be home next week to mess with it more.

2011 F350 4x4 XLT Super Cab,
Nexus 7 dash install.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EZ-Lynk PPEI SOTF Tunes
DP back Flo Pro Dual Exhaust
EGR Delete with pass-through plate
No Limit Stage 2 5" intake
more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 55 Old 03-28-2015, 12:23 PM

The description in Amazon of the 90* cable doesn't say anything about it being an OTG cable, and if it's built like the normal cable in this diagram, the otg doesn't look like it would connect through it since there' soothing connected to pin 4 on the micro - but, then, I don't know how to account for it working with a device plugged into the USB plug.

When you start building your own cables, you might find this page interesting:
https://beyondthekeeboard.wordpress....sb-host-cable/

Lewis

2014 F-250 XLT CCSB 4X4

Last edited by k7lvo; 03-28-2015 at 12:35 PM.
post #25 of 55 Old 03-28-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
The sense pin is used for a normal device to decide what mode to operate in. there are some DIYs out there that show putting a resistor between sense and ground enables the otg + charging For some devices. I don't think my cable is using the sense pin that I know of but that could be why yours won't charge. It may not "sense" any thing attached and therefor not charge.

Nexus 7 dash install.

EZ-Lynk PPEI SOTF Tunes
more to come
post #26 of 55 Old 03-28-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
I'll know more on that when I get a chance to build my own cable

Nexus 7 dash install.

EZ-Lynk PPEI SOTF Tunes
more to come
post #27 of 55 Old 04-03-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
So i attempted to build my own cable... utter failure. i have watched and looked at several how tos and still can't get it to work. the pin 4 on the micro usb is indeed used on OTG. with out it the nexus won't move to host mode. i have been able to get the device to recognize that i am plugging in an otg cable but it won't connect to anything. i have been testing with a usb thumb-drive that has a led in it that blinks when it is being read. when i try to use my custom cable it just blinks extremely fast (faster then normal use) and the nexus doesn't' recognize it. I will see if i can do some more testing this weekend with it but i have no idea why it isn't working.

Nexus 7 dash install.

EZ-Lynk PPEI SOTF Tunes
more to come
post #28 of 55 Old 04-04-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchTrk View Post
So i attempted to build my own cable... utter failure. i have watched and looked at several how tos and still can't get it to work. the pin 4 on the micro usb is indeed used on OTG. with out it the nexus won't move to host mode. i have been able to get the device to recognize that i am plugging in an otg cable but it won't connect to anything. i have been testing with a usb thumb-drive that has a led in it that blinks when it is being read. when i try to use my custom cable it just blinks extremely fast (faster then normal use) and the nexus doesn't' recognize it. I will see if i can do some more testing this weekend with it but i have no idea why it isn't working.
Maybe you've got a bad connection on one of the data wires. If you put a cable in between the OTG cable and the N7 I don't think it will detect the OTG, so it should operate normally.

Mine won't go into the FI mode unless a usb device is plugged into the data plug on the OTG cable, but it works fine as long as something is, so I guess I'm not going to be concerned about it.

Until I get the bugs worked out, I'm going to use my N7 with the audio plugged into the Line In of the stock radio. That way my wife won't go nuts when she uses the truck. other than not being able to mount the N7 in the dash, it works pretty much the same; line in is even the default on the factory unit, so it can be pretty much invisible.

Lewis

2014 F-250 XLT CCSB 4X4

Last edited by k7lvo; 04-04-2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Typo
post #29 of 55 Old 04-04-2015, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
the problem with testing that is i don't have a micro to micro cable. i also am having terrible luck trying to figure out the steering wheel controls. its like i'v hit a brick wall lol. the cable i have is working ok i'm just afraid its not going to hold up very long but the steering wheel control is bugging me to death

Nexus 7 dash install.

EZ-Lynk PPEI SOTF Tunes
more to come
post #30 of 55 Old 04-04-2015, 03:29 PM

Yeah, the micro to micro cables are cheap, but you'd probably have to order one... Can you pot the plug on the cable you had to cut down to give it more durability?

Joycon seems to be the one a lot of guys are going with. From some of their write-ups it looks like you connect it to the truck, then plug the USB into your computer, press the steering wheel control you want to program, and select what you want it to do.

Lewis

2014 F-250 XLT CCSB 4X4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode