6.7 Electronics Discussion (2011-2016) 6.7 Electronics Discussion

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 Old 11-15-2015, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I recently bought one from this company. I bought the wifi model but like stated above. I have not played with it much yet and have yet to get the wifi part to work. I was able to get the software loaded and operational. It took a few attempts to get it right. The link is for wifi compatible model but does not include the D-Link wifi modules. It is also needs a firmware update to use the current v97 IDS. If I bought it again, I would not buy the wifi module equiped version.

Quality A WIFI V97 VCM II OEM Diagnostic Tool for Ford wholesale

Video on how to install the software. It is cumbersome but does appear to work. It is installed within VMware. VMware is a virtual machine running on you laptop. Virtual machine emulates a computer within a computer isolating the IDS from the real world and license checking. I would suggest as one did above to buy an old laptop with at least 3gb of memory and 256gb disk drive. I loaded w7 on mine and the software with the VCM comes with WMware and an image of XP sp3 to load for IDS.

Ford 96 VCM II VMware

Is it worth the price I have paid? At this time, I can't say but honestly not sure it is worth the cost if you don't plan on using it more than a few times a year.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 11-17-2015, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1013 View Post
I recently bought one from this company. I bought the wifi model but like stated above. I have not played with it much yet and have yet to get the wifi part to work. I was able to get the software loaded and operational. It took a few attempts to get it right. The link is for wifi compatible model but does not include the D-Link wifi modules. It is also needs a firmware update to use the current v97 IDS. If I bought it again, I would not buy the wifi module equiped version.

Quality A WIFI V97 VCM II OEM Diagnostic Tool for Ford wholesale

Video on how to install the software. It is cumbersome but does appear to work. It is installed within VMware. VMware is a virtual machine running on you laptop. Virtual machine emulates a computer within a computer isolating the IDS from the real world and license checking. I would suggest as one did above to buy an old laptop with at least 3gb of memory and 256gb disk drive. I loaded w7 on mine and the software with the VCM comes with WMware and an image of XP sp3 to load for IDS.

Ford 96 VCM II VMware

Is it worth the price I have paid? At this time, I can't say but honestly not sure it is worth the cost if you don't plan on using it more than a few times a year.
Hi Larry,

I take it you looked under the one end cap to see if the D-link dwa-131 nano usb adapter was there?
If it's not there then you will need 2 of them. One for the laptop and one for the VCM2.
Also in reading you need to use the Microsoft Wireless manager so it will connect right.

Sean
post #13 of 25 Old 11-18-2015, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Hi Larry,

I take it you looked under the one end cap to see if the D-link dwa-131 nano usb adapter was there?
If it's not there then you will need 2 of them. One for the laptop and one for the VCM2.
Also in reading you need to use the Microsoft Wireless manager so it will connect right.
Yes, it is there under the black cover. I have not played with it lately to see if I can get it to connect.

I still think the easy route for most would be use use the USB cable to connect laptop and VCM.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 Old 11-18-2015, 03:23 AM

You are so right on that.
Also it seems that the only time I get to use it is where there is a problem
that I really need to be fixed and so don't have time to tinker.

It would be so nice for it to work out od the box. Too bad we don't get it that easy.
I guess that is what we get for going the cheap road. Potholes.

If I get the time and find an answer I'll be sure to post what I found and the how.

Sean
post #15 of 25 Old 11-18-2015, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

I see there is a 98.1 release. Wonders if one can install it and not lose the whole install up to this point...

There is also a wireless diagnosis for VCM II.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...eless.asp#tab1

Software updates here also

DSFM File Download

Larry

Last edited by Larry1013; 11-18-2015 at 05:38 AM.
post #16 of 25 Old 11-18-2015, 06:05 PM

I have read somewhere that if you try to use the newer
software from Motorcraft it will brick the Chinese units.

I know someone that has the older IDS software from before
the VCMII days when they did not have the phone home feature
in the software. he was able to use the older software. But with
the clone VCMII I am not willing to take a chance of bricking mine.
I did try an install of the older software and it did not connect with
the newer VCMII.It did not recognize the device.

I wished that Motorcraft would come out with a reasonable priced <<<< Ok I know that is a funny one.
tool for the DIY guy. Maybe they could do what the tuner people
do and marry it to the VIN and if you need more than one VIN pay
a bit extra but not the $600+ per year like it is right now.

BTW my idea of reasonable price is lets say $250.00 for the tool and $25.00
and $25.00 year for each added VIN over the 1st one. Also no phone home
built into the software. I have been bit by that a few times by forgetting to
plug something into the internet or not accessing the app and having it lock up
till I reenter my password and let it connect. (sorry pet peeve)

Sean
post #17 of 25 Old 12-17-2015, 01:31 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I recently bought a clone one but I have not played with it much yet and have yet to get the wifi part to work. I was able to get the software loaded and operational. It took a few attempts to get it right. The link is for wifi compatible model but does not include the D-Link wifi modules. It is also needs a firmware update to use the current v97 IDS. If I bought it again, I would not buy the wifi module equiped version.
post #18 of 25 Old 12-17-2015, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawazeer View Post
I recently bought a clone one but I have not played with it much yet and have yet to get the wifi part to work. I was able to get the software loaded and operational. It took a few attempts to get it right. The link is for wifi compatible model but does not include the D-Link wifi modules. It is also needs a firmware update to use the current v97 IDS. If I bought it again, I would not buy the wifi module equiped version.
Same as you, I would not buy the wifi if I bought again.

I have played around with mine. It did take a few attempts to get it loaded correctly. Has been operational about a month now.

Even the authentic Ford VCM-II require the firmware update to use v97 or newer IDS.

Larry

post #19 of 25 Old 12-17-2015, 03:45 PM

I guess I really need to get to work and see if I can get that silly thing to work with the Wifi.

Sean
post #20 of 25 Old 12-17-2015, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

On the Motorcraft site, the user manual foe the IDS goes through setup for the wifi....there is also a test program to look for the wifi signal from the VCM....i have not played with it lately
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wireless_ENG.pdf (1.25 MB, 482 views)
File Type: pdf IDSUserManual_ENG.pdf (1.82 MB, 590 views)

Larry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode