6.7 Electronics Discussion (2011-2016) 6.7 Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool New Head Unit Install - and the fun ensues....

So,

Got tired of my stock unit, like we all do and wanted a little more.

Here I will chronicle the trials and tribulations of my effort. May my battle be swift and the casualties be low.

So, here goes.

Truck: 2011 F350 Crew Cab with Factory Sync and Sub woofer and reverse camera in the rear view mirror.

Goals: Keep the factory sub and amp
Keep the factory camera working but display it on the new head unit

Parts ordered:
from Crutchfield

JVC KW-V950BW DVD Receiver

SiriusXM SXV300V1 Satellite Radio Tuner

iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Universal Radio Replacement & SWI

iDatalink HRN-RR-FO1 Install Harness select Ford models

Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Kit Late Models, DD (Dash install mounting kit)

Chrysler/GM/Ford Antenna Adapt Motorola M to OEM antenna F

Crutchfield RCA Y-Adapter 3.5mm Male to 2 Female RCA (Camera?)

from Amazon
SINCODA 3FT 2 Ports Dual USB 3.0 Male to USB 3.0 Female AUX Flush Mount Car Mount Waterproof Extension Cable for Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Dashboard Panel (that was mouth full)

To the install:

All the parts arrived from Crutchfield andI got straight to work on the wiring harness. I soldered up all the necessary connections and had a few wires leftover that I was unclear about from the Radios and Maestro's instructions.
A quick call to Crutchfield and all was figured out, at least with the base wiring.

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE SYNC AND WILL NOT BE RETAINING IT IN YOUR NEW BUILD, YOU MUST DISABLE BLUETOOTH. I have read in many other posts during my research that if you don't, there will be a very annoying message every time your boot up if you don't do this.
Procedure: go the the bluetooth settings on the original factory radio. TURN OFF BLUETOOTH. That's it. This will disable the factory Sync from looking for your device every time you start up.
If you have installed your new system already, then either remove the sync entirely (I believe it us under Passenger dash/front in the kick panel) or just reinstall your factory stereo, turn it off and then reinstall your new system.

The Crutchfield harness and the Maestro harness are very nice. I like to solder instead of use "crimp connections" those all fail over time. Either that or "military splice." just lasts longer and seems to work better.

Here is the factory harness. It turned out I did need the P. cont wire (power amp) but neither of the others.
<<<First photo>>>

Here are the leftover wires from the Maestro harness. Same thing. I used the Blue/white stripe to power the amp the other two do not get used.
<<<Second photo>>>

Lastly, I got to the point where I tested everything.
<<<Third photo>>>

The only thing that I noticed is that the camera didn't work. I am betting I am just am a dumbass and will need to actually find the source wires and splice into them, as my camera goes to the Rear View Mirror and did not go to the factory stereo.

I did have an issue with my steering wheel controls not working on the new head unit but I realized I didn't attach the control cable from the Head Unit to the Maestro, so DUH!!!! That was an easy fix.

I ran out of time to get all the Antennae (GPS and SIRIUS) routed and where I will put them Last night, so I am going to continue this weekend with more time and figure out the whole camera thing.

SHOUT out to JMAN37 who said he used his factory GPS antennae with his setup. I am going to try that to save one more thing mounted to my dash. No sense in leaving a perfectly good antennae lying around! Anyone know where that unit is plugged in? I assume near the SYNC unit in the passenger/front kick panel?

Thanks all! More to come this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2932.JPEG
Views:	43
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	726771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2933.JPEG
Views:	41
Size:	707.9 KB
ID:	726773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2935.JPEG
Views:	60
Size:	680.1 KB
ID:	726777  

When it comes to mechanics, everything I know is from either breaking it or watching someone else do the same. Then I had to fix it....Is that bad?

Murphy's Law: "things will go wrong in any given situation, if you give them a chance."

Last edited by roverjosh; 01-02-2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: iCloud photo shares don't post. So descriptions go to the thumbnails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 12:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Where is this factory sub and amp you speak of? I have the same truck only without the backup camera. And mine is a LB (if that matters)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiEnD View Post
Where is this factory sub and amp you speak of? I have the same truck only without the backup camera. And mine is a LB (if that matters)

It is behind the passenger/rear seat. Fold the top portion down and it will be in factory box back there. I am not looking to "go thumping", I just want a little better sound and more functionality (read, I am old and cranky) so I don't need 2 twelves pushing 1000 watts. Stock woofer is good enough for now.

Check behind your seat. If you have the Sync setup you may very well have it. I have a Lariat model if that helps.

When it comes to mechanics, everything I know is from either breaking it or watching someone else do the same. Then I had to fix it....Is that bad?

Murphy's Law: "things will go wrong in any given situation, if you give them a chance."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 01:08 PM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i did a very similar upgrade as you (with the idatalink maestro and all that )

got a new phone, now i cant reconnect to sync anymore... so that sucks. havent figured out a work around yet.

also, i couldnt play music through bluetooth and sync with the maestro. i had to connect to sync (with my old phone) for phone calls and the radio for music...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 F-250 Super Crew XLT 6.7L
2007 F-250 Super Cab XL 6.0L (sold)

C-A-P-S CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!
post #5 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not sure what radio you have, but essentially the sync option just blends in with whatever your radio bluetooth is called. Mine had SYNC and my radio name as an option, but if you connected to sync it was essentially useless, you have to use the radio name. I was still able to use my steering wheel buttons to make calls. Should try to delete it and add it again.

'11 F-250 RCLB FX4 6.7 - Deleted, SCT GTX - Tyrant tuned, Duratrac's on Moto Metal 962's - Sold
'17 Grand Cherokee SRT - Stock
'97 SVT Cobra - Few things
'88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, 4.10's - Sold
'06 F-350 ECSB Lariat FX4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Sold
'07 F-250 XLT ECSB 4x4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Totaled
post #6 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeshellback View Post
i did a very similar upgrade as you (with the idatalink maestro and all that )

got a new phone, now i cant reconnect to sync anymore... so that sucks. havent figured out a work around yet.

also, i couldnt play music through bluetooth and sync with the maestro. i had to connect to sync (with my old phone) for phone calls and the radio for music...
Yeah, I am bypassing Sync entirely. going aftermarket head unit all the way. I really wanted wireless Carplay. I have one of teh Qi wireless/magnetic charger mounts from Scosche that I mounted in the open slot on the center arm rest (took the suction cup part off and just 2 sided taped the thing in there and it looks great. I don't need to plug in to charge and I wanted CarPlay so I went with the JVC head unit cuz it was $200 off at Crutchfield with Christmas sales! Whoopie!

You might have to bypass sync and go aftermarket.

post #7 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 01:24 PM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverjosh View Post
Yeah, I am bypassing Sync entirely. going aftermarket head unit all the way. I really wanted wireless Carplay. I have one of teh Qi wireless/magnetic charger mounts from Scosche that I mounted in the open slot on the center arm rest (took the suction cup part off and just 2 sided taped the thing in there and it looks great. I don't need to plug in to charge and I wanted CarPlay so I went with the JVC head unit cuz it was $200 off at Crutchfield with Christmas sales! Whoopie!

You might have to bypass sync and go aftermarket.
i wanted to keep all the factory mics and what not. sucks it suck i guess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeshellback View Post
i wanted to keep all the factory mics and what not. sucks it suck i guess
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I wondered why I had to use the the JVC's mic. I was hoping my factory mic would work, but I didn't ask that of the Crutchfield guys. I will call them tonight to see if that is something I can wire in a well. I was going to route the JVC's mic to the center ceiling console but if I can find a way to use the stock mic, that would be WAY better. I will let you know what I find out.

Do you remember having to make any special settings/wiring for your maestro when you first set it up?

Side note, I found where I think the GPS wire runs from the stock antennae.

See pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F350 Dash wiring.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	726779  

post #9 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't think I've got it but I will check later. Too lazy to get out and look right now. Mines the XLT but has sync

post #10 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 02:13 PM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverjosh View Post
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I wondered why I had to use the the JVC's mic. I was hoping my factory mic would work, but I didn't ask that of the Crutchfield guys. I will call them tonight to see if that is something I can wire in a well. I was going to route the JVC's mic to the center ceiling console but if I can find a way to use the stock mic, that would be WAY better. I will let you know what I find out.

Do you remember having to make any special settings/wiring for your maestro when you first set it up?

Side note, I found where I think the GPS wire runs from the stock antennae.

See pic.
i paid the extra few bucks for crutchfield to wire in the maestro to the harness for the radio and truck connections. maestro does have pretty good tech support.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode