2015 F-250 Platinum full stereo upgrade questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion (2011-2016) 6.7 Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-02-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2015 F-250 Platinum full stereo upgrade questions

Alright, so I've been scouring the forum for the last week getting info and pointers on my build before tearing it apart. Lots of great info from BIGDZL and HyOctane23 for anyone else interested! I have the stock Sony nav, and will be sticking with that headunit. I also plan on applying 80mm Noico to the doors and back cab during the installation. It is a product similar in quality and thickness to Dynamat Extreme...only it costs much less. My question comes into play with whether or not to keep the factory amp. There are so many options out there now, I just want the best sound output.* Another question I have with the factory system is with the bass rolloff at higher volume.* The LC2i and LC7i both have Accubass to correct for the bass roll off.* I haven't been able to find out if that rolloff is coming from the receiver or the factory amp.* That would come into play over the different sytems below that I have to choose from.* Here is a list of the speakers and amps that I have in my posession at the moment, with the exception of the sub and box. Nothing has been installed yet, just want to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row before I start tearing apart my truck.

Front doors - Focal PS165V1 Component Speaker set with tweeters
Rear cab - two choices - Focal 165A1 Component Speaker set with tweeters, or JL Audio C2-525x Coaxial Speakers w/ optional crossovers and tweeters from C2-525 Component Set
Rear sub - single JL Audio 13TW5v2-2 in SupercrewSound box
Amp - two choices - JL Audio HD900/5 or JL Audio JX500/1D

I don't believe I'm a true audiophile, once I have a system in my vehicle that sounds good...I will leave it alone and enjoy it unless there is an issue with it.

Option 1 - Keeping the factory amp and running an Audiocontrol LC2i off of the front channel with the JX500/1D for the sub, while running the new door speakers off of the factory amp.

Option 2 - Same as above, but instead of the LC2i...changing to the LC7i then running the sub and door speakers off of the JL Audio HD900/5 amp.

Option 3 - Ditching the factory amp for the PAC AmpPRO AP4-FD21 Interface with the PAC APH-FD01 Wiring Interface, straight into the JL Audio HD900/5 amp.

I know it's been recommended to upgrade the wiring to the doors, but the Holy Molex connectors are going to be a huge PITA to deal with! I honestly think I would be fine with the factory wiring, considering the max wattage of the speakers going into the doors. Below is the RMS for all of the door speakers I have. The factory amp pushes around 50 watts per channel, so I wouldn't be overshooting it by that much.

Focal PS165V1 Components - no minimum RMS listed, 80 maximum. Peak - 165 watts
Focal Access 165A1 Components - 6 watts minimum RMS, 60 maximum. Peak - 120 watts
JL Audio C2-525X Coaxials - 15 watt minimum RMS, 60 maximum. Peak - 225 watts

I just want a great sounding system with a Ron Popeil set it and forget it attitude. I know that some fabrication will be required to get the 6 1/2's into the door and cab. I'm not worried about that or the installation in the least bit. I'm just looking for some opinions on which way to go for the amp/LOC configuration. Many thanks!

Last edited by jsukey; 09-02-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I've been considering option 3 myself. My current setup is based on BIGDZL's build thread. I went with the JL Audio C2-650's. They added great mid-bass but sound muddy overall. I can't decide if it is the speakers or the factory amp causing it. I recently purchased the PAC AmpPRO AP4-FD21 in preparation of deleting the Sony amp. I'd like to put a JL Audio VX400/4i in front of the JX500/1 because of the built in DSP. That way I can tune the sound to make up for the lack of control in the factory head unit. This design will eliminate the center channel but from what I've gathered it should not be noticeable.

I've also been considering the AudioControl D-4.800 instead of the VX400/4i. It has a built in DSP too. All three of their amp choices offer OEM integration options.

My advice to you, go with the Focal speakers or upgrade to the JL Audio C5's. I'll end up doing that before it's over.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-04-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The Focal PS165V1 component set is for sure what's going in the front doors. Since the bass rolloff is so strong on the rear speakers, it's kind of pointless to spend any money on a quality pair of speakers. I already have 4 of the JL Audio C2-525X coaxials. This is based off of doing a 20hz, 100hz, and 60hz audio test. I'm going to install the JL Audio C2-525X coaxials in the rear cab. That will just be the starting point, to see how I like the sound overall. I haven't ordered the LOC, sub, or box yet..so I'll be able to play with it for a little while to doctor the sound up. I'm going to go ahead and install my JL Audio HD900/5 to use for the sub amp along with an LC7i once I do buy the box and sub. If the sub tends to drown out the sound in the front, I can go ahead and wire everything through the amp without having to change nothing but a small bundle of wires. That amp will be ran with 4 awg wire, which would be the same as the JX500/1D amp. I think the only main difference would be running a remote turn on wire for the amp if I went with the PAC module. The LC7i has a signal sensing remote turn on, so that's where it will be wired initially.

The one thing I've been trying to figure out, is where the signal rolloff is coming from. Does it do it from the headunit, or the amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayW72 View Post
I've been considering option 3 myself. My current setup is based on BIGDZL's build thread. I went with the JL Audio C2-650's. They added great mid-bass but sound muddy overall. I can't decide if it is the speakers or the factory amp causing it. I recently purchased the PAC AmpPRO AP4-FD21 in preparation of deleting the Sony amp. I'd like to put a JL Audio VX400/4i in front of the JX500/1 because of the built in DSP. That way I can tune the sound to make up for the lack of control in the factory head unit. This design will eliminate the center channel but from what I've gathered it should not be noticeable.

I've also been considering the AudioControl D-4.800 instead of the VX400/4i. It has a built in DSP too. All three of their amp choices offer OEM integration options.

My advice to you, go with the Focal speakers or upgrade to the JL Audio C5's. I'll end up doing that before it's over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
The easy fix for that is to use the PAC module. "The AP4-FD21 provides a 6-channel pre-amp output for use with aftermarket audio equipment. Using the full range, fixed level headunit output, in conjunction with CAN messages, the AP4-FD21 delivers a variable 5v RMS (max) pre-amp output with fading, balance, equalization, and level control capabilities.

However, it is my understanding that the ACM (HU) can be programmed to output a variable Line Level Preamp Output.

Originally Posted by Livnitup
So these are the changes you'll want to make with FORScan in the ACM module:
Variable Line Level Preamp Outputs From ACM (for adding aftermarket amp without sound clipping)
ACM 727-01-01 xx5A xxxx xxxx
ACM 727-01-02 00xx
APIM 7D0-01-01 2xxx xxxx xxxx <--- this change required only if you have Sony DSP

Variable Line Level Preamp Outputs From ACM (Factory Radio) For Amplifier Upgrades
post #5 of 5 Old 09-04-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like it's coming from the amp then! I won't be messing with anything from FORScan. According to others, the sound was fine with some of the choices I mentioned. I'm not that incredibly picky...as long as it sounds good!

[quote=RayW72;16326475]The easy fix for that is to use the PAC module. "The AP4-FD21 provides a 6-channel pre-amp output for use with aftermarket audio equipment. Using the full range, fixed level headunit output, in conjunction with CAN messages, the AP4-FD21 delivers a variable 5v RMS (max) pre-amp output with fading, balance, equalization, and level control capabilities.

However, it is my understanding that the ACM (HU) can be programmed to output a variable Line Level Preamp Output.

Originally Posted by Livnitup
So these are the changes you'll want to make with FORScan in the ACM module:
Variable Line Level Preamp Outputs From ACM (for adding aftermarket amp without sound clipping)
ACM 727-01-01 xx5A xxxx xxxx
ACM 727-01-02 00xx
APIM 7D0-01-01 2xxx xxxx xxxx <--- this change required only if you have Sony DSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode