• 1 Post By roverjosh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-12-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2016 f250 6.7 4x4 PCM failure

Posting this Incase anyone runs into this issue or has ran into this issue. I have a 2016 f250 with 26k miles. The other day I got it in, started the truck and all dash lamps came on and gauges would not work. I drove a few blocks, pulled over and shut off the truck and attempted to restart the truck and it would not start. After a few start attempts and waiting about 20 minutes, I finnaly got the engine to start. I was able to drive to the dealer. The dealer diagnosed a faulty PCM and is stating it will not cover it because I have an after market system(Idatalink maestro module interface) plugged into the OBD2 port. The idatalink system monitors the high speed can for gauge information, tire pressures etc. and displays data on my alpine X208u head unit. it is equivalent to plugging in a scan tool to monitor readings (which I can also do with my alpine x208u). With the idatalink plugged in, the high speed can test’s ok- around 5-6 volts added value when key is on. No voltage, current, or short in the connector coming from the idatalink module. I had a meeting with the dealer and asked them to show me how the idatalink system damaged the PCM- they cannot show any hard evidence, but I can show and explain that it did not take out the PCM with my test’s that i presented to them. Before I had this meeting, they wanted me to buy a pcm parts and labor 2k. me being me, got down to the bottom of things and realized they just don’t want to cover it because there is an after market component on the truck. I referred to this https://www.autocare.org/government-...-warranty-act/ and explained this to the manager- only after going through all of this they are calling a field service rep out. The truck has been in the shop for a week now. Any advice or input on what I should do next would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-12-2019, 11:54 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Stick to your guns. They have to PROVE your device caused the issue. I had a PCM getting a stray voltage reading causing issues while in the Jenny Craig program. I was honest with the Service Manager and Tech. They were able to get it covered as the testing required by Ford found one of the voltage inputs out of spec.
Larry1013 likes this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeavyAssault For This Useful Post:
PasadenaMike626 (04-13-2019)
post #3 of 10 Old 04-12-2019, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Look up the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. This act says that the dealer has to show that the installed part caused the failure. Your warranty can't be voided or you denied coverage simply because of the use of the aftermarket part.
The Following User Says Thank You to Romans10-9 For This Useful Post:
PasadenaMike626 (04-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-13-2019, 02:31 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans10-9 View Post
Look up the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. This act says that the dealer has to show that the installed part caused the failure. Your warranty can't be voided or you denied coverage simply because of the use of the aftermarket part.

If you notice the OP placed a hyperlink in his post to the MM act.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

post #5 of 10 Old 04-13-2019, 03:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Shoot!!! I guess I need to order that hooked on phonics kit I keep hearing about.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-13-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have been completely honest with the technician, service advisor, and service manager. As a heavy Railroad equipment mechanic myself, I know that if the operator is being totally honest, problems are solved MUCH easier. They just seem very hesitant to move forward with a diagnosis because of my equipment. I have been in the technicians shoes before and I know that diagnosis can eat into their flat-rate pay scale thus resulting into the issue not being priority for them. I am prepared to ask questions about what diagnostic patterns were taken to get to where we are at today. I have studied the wire schematics and know how to eliminate problems. The circuit is a fairly simple circuit. I would hate to be "that guy" that shows up with my Fluke meter and a set of wire schematics to perform a diagnosis but, if that what it comes to make my point I will. I will keep you guys posted as time progresses. At this point I am think I should have taken the truck to a different dealer. Thank you guys for your input so far.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasadenaMike626 View Post
I have been completely honest with the technician, service advisor, and service manager. As a heavy Railroad equipment mechanic myself, I know that if the operator is being totally honest, problems are solved MUCH easier. They just seem very hesitant to move forward with a diagnosis because of my equipment. I have been in the technicians shoes before and I know that diagnosis can eat into their flat-rate pay scale thus resulting into the issue not being priority for them. I am prepared to ask questions about what diagnostic patterns were taken to get to where we are at today. I have studied the wire schematics and know how to eliminate problems. The circuit is a fairly simple circuit. I would hate to be "that guy" that shows up with my Fluke meter and a set of wire schematics to perform a diagnosis but, if that what it comes to make my point I will. I will keep you guys posted as time progresses. At this point I am think I should have taken the truck to a different dealer. Thank you guys for your input so far.
Its a bummer you have to deal with this. Its a bummer that warranty work doesn't pay right so Dealers put it as a low priority or in this case use it as an excuse to try to blame a customers' part. Thats just plain fraud.... IF and WHEN you get it proven that its something on the truck, they should be writing you an apology.

Curious to see how this unfolds.

When it comes to mechanics, everything I know is from either breaking it or watching someone else do the same. Then I had to fix it....Is that bad?

Murphy's Law: "things will go wrong in any given situation, if you give them a chance."
post #8 of 10 Old 04-18-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

****UPDATE****

2 days ago (Tuesday) I received a call from the service advisor stating my truck would be ready today (Thursday). I went to the dealer yesterday(Wednesday) as I got a phone call from the SA stating that the PCM was installed and the tech had a few questions for me. I went back and spoke with the technician. He asked me about a wire that I had spliced into for the reverse camera power (+) I installed and purchased from camera-source.com (Connector 2280D Pin 13- feeds trailer reverse relay and reverse lights) and he wanted to cut it- I had no problem with that so he did. When I did the install I followed the directions that the manufacture suggested- they specifically wanted to tap into that circuit (not a cheap amazon product). I explained and broke down the circuit for him. He told me they decided that they would install the PCM under warranty. The PCM was installed and the truck was driven 10 miles. While I'm waiting for the truck to be pulled up to the drive today, the SA comes up to me and explains to me that the truck wont start and all lights are displayed on the dash again (original symptoms). Everything that I have installed on the truck (Idatalink maestro and reverse camera) has been disconnected at this time and the truck is still having problems. To add the icing to the cake, the technician that was working on my truck was let go yesterday. So now I am back in the rental trying to get sleep at night . I have been in touch with ford customer service that they told me that the "dealer is their eyes and ears" and that I have to work with the service manager on getting this issue resolved (over seas personnel). I was really expecting to hear other results but I guess the customer service isn't what its hyped up to be.
I will keep posted updates as I get them. Hoping this issue doesn't reflect on my future purchase's of Ford vehicles.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Techs stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasadenaMike626 View Post
****UPDATE****

2 days ago (Tuesday) I received a call from the service advisor stating my truck would be ready today (Thursday). I went to the dealer yesterday(Wednesday) as I got a phone call from the SA stating that the PCM was installed and the tech had a few questions for me. I went back and spoke with the technician. He asked me about a wire that I had spliced into for the reverse camera power (+) I installed and purchased from camera-source.com (Connector 2280D Pin 13- feeds trailer reverse relay and reverse lights) and he wanted to cut it- I had no problem with that so he did. When I did the install I followed the directions that the manufacture suggested- they specifically wanted to tap into that circuit (not a cheap amazon product). I explained and broke down the circuit for him. He told me they decided that they would install the PCM under warranty. The PCM was installed and the truck was driven 10 miles. While I'm waiting for the truck to be pulled up to the drive today, the SA comes up to me and explains to me that the truck wont start and all lights are displayed on the dash again (original symptoms). Everything that I have installed on the truck (Idatalink maestro and reverse camera) has been disconnected at this time and the truck is still having problems. To add the icing to the cake, the technician that was working on my truck was let go yesterday. So now I am back in the rental trying to get sleep at night . I have been in touch with ford customer service that they told me that the "dealer is their eyes and ears" and that I have to work with the service manager on getting this issue resolved (over seas personnel). I was really expecting to hear other results but I guess the customer service isn't what its hyped up to be.
I will keep posted updates as I get them. Hoping this issue doesn't reflect on my future purchase's of Ford vehicles.

I did not purchase an "extended" warranty when I bought my 165k truck. I am thinking it won't do me any good to know, considering your experience with dealers. I'm better off just keeping maintained and just pray.

Cheers and best of luck.
PasadenaMike626 likes this.

Last edited by HeavyAssault; 04-19-2019 at 11:24 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
PasadenaMike

Are you at the only Ford Dealership in Pasadena???

I bought mine from Champion Ford on 45S.

White 2016 F250 CCSWB FX4 4X4 6.7
Added Mods to date: AirLift 5000 Ultimate Air Bags, Wireless AirLift Compressor and controller, Titan 50 Gallon Tank, LED Interior Lights, LED Bed Lights with in bed switch, LED Back-up lights mounted in Bumper, 20" front LED Bar, Spray in Liner, Revolver X2 Bed Cover, Weather Tech Mats, Cabela's Seat Covers, and Viper Auto Start Two-Way paging alarm installed)

Some people are only alive, because it is illegal to kill them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode