Camper not charging going down the road - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Electronics Discussion (2011-2016) 6.7 Electronics Discussion

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 Old 09-27-2017, 12:34 PM

Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
Quoted: 3912 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
this should be easy but it's not
I would look at that link and understand it or I do beleive a compentent U-Haul outfit or RV center can get you dialed in

if that does not work for you I would never spend 2k to resolve this issue

I would outdo the OEM system by installing an ACR ( Automatic charge relay ) and a dedicated lead to the pin #4 ( cut existing feed)
or better yet just have a piggyback harness with ground and power ( this is what I do because it can handle far more amps than the oem tiny 7 pin )

so this or similar

and something like this ( you can get these in winch kits with all the wire attached to both sides

that setup will let you charge the truck from the camper and the camper from the truck ( solar/generator/ETC )
SparkyF250 and gypsees like this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZMANN For This Useful Post:
gypsees (09-27-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 09-27-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you ZMANN! My husband said something along those lines as far as running a dedicated wire but then he said the current system is closed. I forgot the term he used. It is all over my head but I think it is piss poor for FORD to design a truck like this and leave that out. It's ludicrous. Just like the 350 with a piss ant engine. BAD DESIGN. I am still annoyed..lol.. This evening he mentioned the possibility of using one of the upfitter switches? Would the option above be better than the upfitter? I am sending him a link to this thread and hope it helps. Thanks so much!
SparkyF250 likes this.
post #23 of 26 Old 09-27-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
Did you read, and watch the video in the link that Zmann posted?

It explains a brake procedure and then a work around option in the video.
I think I watched it some time back because I remember thinking that I ALWAYS have the brake engaged when have the tow on. I have a slope to my driveway and if that were something that would activate it, we would have been ok. I'm not sure I am remembering the same thing though but my husband will be the one fixing the problem. He understands it a lot better than me. I'm sending him a link and hopefully tomorrow he will have a plan! I leave on the 30th for a 2 week ride so hopefully it won't be an issue for that trip. I am not camping primitive and it is only about a 6 hour drive. Since it's cool my horses shouldn't need the fans. What an aggravation though.
SparkyF250 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 Old 09-27-2017, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Quoted: 3263 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good luck with the electric problems. I love that trailer, it's kinda what we're looking for. We need a 3 horse, with living quarters. I'm just not sure how big we need. It'd be for me, my wife and a big 14 year old boy. Do you happen to know the weight of the one you bought?

Sparky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

post #25 of 26 Old 09-27-2017, 07:20 PM

Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
Quoted: 3912 Post(s)
Quote:
. This evening he mentioned the possibility of using one of the upfitter switches
seems like a waste of an upfitter but it would work for a minimal charge rate aand they only operate when the truck is on
( useone of the higher amp upfitter or a relay )
i would run it to the charge pin and just cut the OEM wire and cap it

i have no idea what Ford did here but my o6 was ready to go charge wise it just wasn't enough power for my truck camper
SparkyF250 likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
post #26 of 26 Old 09-28-2017, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyF250 View Post
Good luck with the electric problems. I love that trailer, it's kinda what we're looking for. We need a 3 horse, with living quarters. I'm just not sure how big we need. It'd be for me, my wife and a big 14 year old boy. Do you happen to know the weight of the one you bought?
I know it is a thousand pounds heavier than previous one. I think the GVWR is around 17K pounds but I will get the listed weight for you later today. Ours is white. I LOVE it! I do have some recommendations for you having been there with a few various trailers. (we worked our way up starting out camping in the gooseneck of a stock trailer..lol..)

First off I would recommend making a "must have" list and DO NOT talk yourself out of any of those items. ON that must have list should be at least 3 things.. A full size refrigerator with separate freezer (I can put enough food in there for 10 people probably for a few days!) Next is power or hydraulic jack(s). Saves SO much time and energy. Next is a slide out. At first I was dubious as to having one because it is more stuff that can break but I swear the difference in using the trailer makes it SO worth it. I personally would not buy a trailer now without one.

IF you can't or don't like a slide out, AT LEAST go the full 8' wide route. In our case that meant mangers - which I love for many reasons. One of them is the storage is amazing and reachable! The difference in that 8' is dramatic on the inside of your trailer! Even without a slide those that are 8' wide are much more comfortable and usable. My last tip is to check out the lady where I got mine. Her mark up is much smaller than anywhere else I looked and I do like the owner a lot. I do advise getting EVERYTHING in writing. We had an issue where she had told me as long as I traded the camper within the first year she would guarantee me all back but 10%. That didn't happen so I needed it in writing. To be fair I think she forgot about that and quoted me a price that didn't give her much wiggle room. I still wasn't happy about it because I expect people to do what they say they will do. But still I got a great deal on my trailer. It would have been 20K more anywhere else most likely.

Here is the link. Hope this helps. Oh one more thing... buy as big as you can afford. No matter how much you say you don't need it, room is ALWAYS used..lol..

Showtime Trailers, New and Used Horse Trailers for Sale

I'm not sure how tall your son is but the bed made using the dinette is not that long. I'm short so I could use it if I had to but a tall person would have to hang feet over the edge so be sure to check that when looking at trailers. I saw a trailer on their site that had bunk beds and that might be a good option for you.

In addition, you might be interested in joining sometime the sheltowee trail ride. It is a week long trail ride done every year but it moves around near the path of the original sheltowee trace. This year it is in Illinois. Last year it was in Kentucky and next year it will be at Mammoth Cave. They feed you 3 meals a day. There is music and entertainment and bon fires and a kick butt auction that helps keep the price of the ride down every year. It is an open breed ride. Cost has been 325 per person for several years and includes your stalls and meals. We sort of become like a family and look forward to seeing folks we only get to see once a year. Really a lot of fun. Here is the link for that.

SHELTOWEE TRAIL RIDE
ZMANN and SparkyF250 like this.

Last edited by gypsees; 09-28-2017 at 05:13 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gypsees For This Useful Post:
SparkyF250 (09-28-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode