10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 Old 05-12-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pioneer NEX Radios

I've been doing a lot of thinking about upgrading my factory stereo. Currently, I have the am/fm/cd head unit. The SNYC features make it nice, but I'd like to have the Android Auto feature. While researching possible replacements, I discovered that some models can tap into the computer of the vehicle and display engine vitals and other readouts. Depending on the actual gauges that might be displayed, I could eliminate my ScanGauge II.

One of the radios that I'm leaning toward is the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. If I'm running Android Auto I won't need a stand-alone GPS that's featured in the higher end models. If I purchase the idatalink Maestro to pair with the radio, I can maintain SYNC and get the gauges if I'm not mistaken.

Anyone have experience with this line of radios or other brands/models with similar features?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 05-12-2017, 09:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger413 View Post
I've been doing a lot of thinking about upgrading my factory stereo. Currently, I have the am/fm/cd head unit. The SNYC features make it nice, but I'd like to have the Android Auto feature. While researching possible replacements, I discovered that some models can tap into the computer of the vehicle and display engine vitals and other readouts. Depending on the actual gauges that might be displayed, I could eliminate my ScanGauge II.

One of the radios that I'm leaning toward is the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. If I'm running Android Auto I won't need a stand-alone GPS that's featured in the higher end models. If I purchase the idatalink Maestro to pair with the radio, I can maintain SYNC and get the gauges if I'm not mistaken.

Anyone have experience with this line of radios or other brands/models with similar features?
I just installed a AVH-4200NEX in my 2012 F-250 which had Nav and Sync etc.
If you want to use Android Auto or Apple Car Play on ANY headunit, you cannot retain SYNC. Do you need SYNC? I don't. This is absolutely positively accurate, I have spent so much damn time with the truck apart, talking to ADS, Pioneer, Crutchfield, etc. I had to escalate to development at ADS regarding an error. Totally true.

Some headunits that have GPS antenna will supplement your phones. This might mean that in a situation where the phone is in your pocket, next to you, covered, in the glove box, whatever.. you'd still get GPS. Do you need it? Naw. Are there adapters to convert from the factory GPS antenna to aftermarket so you dont even have to use those ? Yep. I got one here i can tell you about.

The maestro has nothing to do with the factory backup camera in the tailgate. You will lose that if you just plug and play to any aftermarket headunit. Easy to splice in to the factory wiring. There's threads on page-1 and page-2 of this sub forum with pics. 2 wires in the drivers kick panel for that backup camera. Simply wire it up to a RCA cable.

Gauges? Lots you can pick from. the manual may show them all, you can check... torque, EGT, engine oil temp, coolant temp, tranny temp, mph, rpm, 0-60 time, braking distance, really theres probably 20 more to pick.

I got tired of the 12 factory nav. It was buggy, cruddy and BT sucked on it.

I use Apple Car play but added this 2 port USB (2 separate cables) extender that I put in the dash in one of the 12V power outlets on the left. Simply popped it out, no cutting, it slid right in and looks total factory. I can plug Apple on top, or Android on the bottom.

Sound is clearer over stock. The factory headunit has no power, but that was fine. So now even with factory speakers you have your phone at max BT level listening to music, you can only go up like 20% of the way on the 4200 or its like blasting loud. Wouldnt probably be if you replaced to aftermarket speakers meant more for that wattage. It works fine though, sounds good.

FYI I actually just unplugged the SYNC module completely. If it is disabled in the Maestro firmware, it still sends signals to the Maestro and you can receive a stupid annoying (but totally causes 0 problems) pop-up saying "No paired phones found" when you arent paired to SYNC as well. unplug and it goes away. 90 seconds to re-plugin if u desire, but I dont.

See this for some info
https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7...amera-rca.html

All that data from the truck comes from a OBD-2 cable that goes to the Maestro. You run it down to the OBD-2 port on the truck, plug it in, hide the wire back behind the dash, up to the headunit (ez to route) and then it consumes that data. So it isnt from SYNC. SYNC is really useless once you just pair Bluetooth to the headunit directly, and if you want to use Android Auto or Car Play, plugin. You get nothing from it.
Beerbait and Lennie Nelson like this.

Last edited by AMG1978; 05-12-2017 at 09:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMG1978 For This Useful Post:
cr0ntab (05-13-2017)
post #3 of 86 Old 05-14-2017, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Question

Does the Maestro allow you to keep your steering wheel controls for volume and tuner when used without the SYNC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 86 Old 05-14-2017, 12:35 PM

Whether or not you configure it to use SYNC media and/or SYNC Bluetooth, the steering wheel controls are retained. Depending on this choice your buttons will default to different things. For example if you tell it sync retained the voice button pulls up sync. If not then it does Siri or the google thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ragecajun likes this.
post #5 of 86 Old 05-14-2017, 12:44 PM

If you want to use android auto or apple car play with any new headunit, you won't be using sync. 100% without a doubt.

If you don't use sync in maestro then all it really gives you is an easy way to wire up all the items like speakers, amp on (for factory sub), steering wheel controls (real critical) and then giving you obd-2 car metrics.

Also with maestro you can configure it to supply power during cranking. So you can get in your truck, put the key to ACC sit there for a min, listen to music then turn the truck on and the stereo will never reboot. It's convenient.

I like the maestro RR. I recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 86 Old 05-16-2017, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1978 View Post
I just installed a AVH-4200NEX in my 2012 F-250 which had Nav and Sync etc.
If you want to use Android Auto or Apple Car Play on ANY headunit, you cannot retain SYNC. Do you need SYNC? I don't. This is absolutely positively accurate, I have spent so much damn time with the truck apart, talking to ADS, Pioneer, Crutchfield, etc. I had to escalate to development at ADS regarding an error. Totally true.

Some headunits that have GPS antenna will supplement your phones. This might mean that in a situation where the phone is in your pocket, next to you, covered, in the glove box, whatever.. you'd still get GPS. Do you need it? Naw. Are there adapters to convert from the factory GPS antenna to aftermarket so you dont even have to use those ? Yep. I got one here i can tell you about.

The maestro has nothing to do with the factory backup camera in the tailgate. You will lose that if you just plug and play to any aftermarket headunit. Easy to splice in to the factory wiring. There's threads on page-1 and page-2 of this sub forum with pics. 2 wires in the drivers kick panel for that backup camera. Simply wire it up to a RCA cable.

Gauges? Lots you can pick from. the manual may show them all, you can check... torque, EGT, engine oil temp, coolant temp, tranny temp, mph, rpm, 0-60 time, braking distance, really theres probably 20 more to pick.

I got tired of the 12 factory nav. It was buggy, cruddy and BT sucked on it.

I use Apple Car play but added this 2 port USB (2 separate cables) extender that I put in the dash in one of the 12V power outlets on the left. Simply popped it out, no cutting, it slid right in and looks total factory. I can plug Apple on top, or Android on the bottom.

Sound is clearer over stock. The factory headunit has no power, but that was fine. So now even with factory speakers you have your phone at max BT level listening to music, you can only go up like 20% of the way on the 4200 or its like blasting loud. Wouldnt probably be if you replaced to aftermarket speakers meant more for that wattage. It works fine though, sounds good.

FYI I actually just unplugged the SYNC module completely. If it is disabled in the Maestro firmware, it still sends signals to the Maestro and you can receive a stupid annoying (but totally causes 0 problems) pop-up saying "No paired phones found" when you arent paired to SYNC as well. unplug and it goes away. 90 seconds to re-plugin if u desire, but I dont.

See this for some info
https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7...amera-rca.html

All that data from the truck comes from a OBD-2 cable that goes to the Maestro. You run it down to the OBD-2 port on the truck, plug it in, hide the wire back behind the dash, up to the headunit (ez to route) and then it consumes that data. So it isnt from SYNC. SYNC is really useless once you just pair Bluetooth to the headunit directly, and if you want to use Android Auto or Car Play, plugin. You get nothing from it.
Thanks for the informative reply. Do you have any pics of the install process or the finished project? Do you have a link to the dual USB unit that you installed in the dash?

Sticking my pennies back now with the hopes of a summertime purchase/install. Eventually plan on upgrading the factory speakers. No sub currently, but I'll look into adding that as well.
post #7 of 86 Old 05-30-2017, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I had an AVIC-8200 NEX installed a few months back. I didn't have Sync, so that wasn't an issue. The radio did come with a remote control. The plug where the Aux input was replaced with a dual USB/HDMI input.

On occasion, the radio software gets a little funky with CarPlay and I have to restart it. I have found it best to plug in the phone after the head unit boots up. The functionality, otherwise, has been great.
post #8 of 86 Old 07-18-2017, 07:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm looking at the AVIC-6201NEX to replace my non-navigation radio in my 2012. Are you able to use the factory XM antenna with the XM tuner or did you have to mount the XM antenna that comes with the SXV300 XM tuner?

Also guessing you had to mount the GPS antenna that comes with the head unit of course?

Trying to keep as clean as possible. Also looking at the iDatalink hoping this all together will make wiring the factory sub back in easy etc.

Thanks for any help and input.
post #9 of 86 Old 07-18-2017, 08:28 AM

Garage
As I didn't have SiriusXM before, I didn't have a factory satellite antenna. We mounted the satellite antenna on one side of the dash and the gps on the other. They are just two small boxes about the size of a lighter, so there is almost no clutter. The wires run down the back of the dash.
Truck FF likes this.
post #10 of 86 Old 12-08-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Months later and now I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Here's the short list . . . tell me what I may be missing.

Pioneer AVH4200 NEX
Pioneer microphone (to set equalizer for listening position)
Maestro RR
Maestro FO1 radio harness
Metra Double DIN mounting kit
Dual USB Port
Micro Bypass Parking Brake Switch
bogeyman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in