6.7 Electronics Discussion (2011-2016) 6.7 Electronics Discussion

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 78 Old 02-15-2018, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I still haven't wired in the cameras yet, installed the antenna adapter or turned off Sync Bluetooth via the old factory radio. Too many other pressing projects over the past couple of weeks. This weekend, however, it is on the list of "to dos".

Initial impressions though are very positive. I love the display and all of the options available. I'm not using it to its fullest potential and probably never will. The head unit definitely improves the sound and power of the factory speakers. I purchased the small microphone for the Auto EQ feature as well. Seems to make an improvement as well.

Aside from Sync messing with the unit's Bluetooth on start-up, the only other issue I have with the Pioneer unit is the available readouts on the vehicle info page. I was expecting to get more PIDs so that I could more closely monitor regens and transmission temp. The grams per liter reading I was able to monitor on my ScanGauge II is not an option. And, although trans temp is listed, it is grayed out on my screen and not selectable. I'm not sure if a software update is available for the radio that would make these options selectable or not. If not, I may go back to the ScanGauge.

Overall, very happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 78 Old 02-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger413 View Post
I still haven't wired in the cameras yet, installed the antenna adapter or turned off Sync Bluetooth via the old factory radio. Too many other pressing projects over the past couple of weeks. This weekend, however, it is on the list of "to dos".

Initial impressions though are very positive. I love the display and all of the options available. I'm not using it to its fullest potential and probably never will. The head unit definitely improves the sound and power of the factory speakers. I purchased the small microphone for the Auto EQ feature as well. Seems to make an improvement as well.

Aside from Sync messing with the unit's Bluetooth on start-up, the only other issue I have with the Pioneer unit is the available readouts on the vehicle info page. I was expecting to get more PIDs so that I could more closely monitor regens and transmission temp. The grams per liter reading I was able to monitor on my ScanGauge II is not an option. And, although trans temp is listed, it is grayed out on my screen and not selectable. I'm not sure if a software update is available for the radio that would make these options selectable or not. If not, I may go back to the ScanGauge.

Overall, very happy.
I saw that grayed out trans temp too. I wasn't super happy about that.

I dislike the fact that with the two cameras hooked up, and if "Backup Camera" is enabled, that it will force you to the camera that is backup, and not allow you to switch to the other camera at that time.
Use case: I use the 2nd camera for my trailer. I can switch to that camera if i am driving down the road, but if I back up my truck while hitched, I cannot switch to that trailer camera. Annoying.
post #23 of 78 Old 02-15-2018, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
That seems like a design flaw...I have a 5th wheel and the second camera is specifically for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 78 Old 02-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,098 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 423 Post(s)
Quoted: 3111 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I wonder if its because the "2nd camera" isnt on because its not triggered with the back up signal.

You could easily put a switch on the "back up" input

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #25 of 78 Old 02-15-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
I wonder if its because the "2nd camera" isnt on because its not triggered with the back up signal.

You could easily put a switch on the "back up" input
I asked them a long time ago to open a request to development to add the little option that you NORMALLY see in the UI that lets you switch camera 1 to camera 2. it's like a 1 <-> 2 button
when you are in true backup mode (sensing the reverse signal). They said Ok, but I know pioneer support generally sucks balls and they expect you to really just buy a head unit for updates. They fix one thing in a headunit and break others. In many aspects my AVIC-Z1 did things better than this head unit does and it is 11 years old. Many things obviously not nearly...

If you hit a switch and it interrupted the backup wire + voltage to the headunit, so the H/U doesnt know your in reverse, then you could easily hit the button 1<->2 and switch to camera 2, and see behind your trailer.

Another option is the "backup Camera" menu make it a favorite. Then click Favorites (the star) and then simply say "Off". Then you can go in reverse and select camera 2 or camera 1. The only negative with this is that it doesnt *automatically* put you to B/U camera when you are driving normally. I sometimes do this mode though when I want to use the camera for the trailer. Takes 8 seconds, no big deal, but I hate the fact I have to do it.
Heavy_GD likes this.
post #26 of 78 Old 02-15-2018, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,098 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 423 Post(s)
Quoted: 3111 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Third option is to use the tuner as the additional view

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #27 of 78 Old 02-28-2018, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Finally installed the backup camera. I actually purchased a replacement handle/latch for the tailgate that incorporated the "bay" for the camera. Unfortunately, my camera was a bit smaller than the provided hole. I've done some tinkering with Kydex in the past and made a reducer of sorts to make it fit. I'll post up some pics shortly . . . its pretty unnoticeable. There was no need to use the reverse light wires in the rear of the truck as a trigger or power for the camera. Instead, I tied into the red wire that feeds the radio power right on the harness. I utilized the red wire that is part of the RCA cable that I had to run to the radio anyhow. No issues at all with camera function. Only gripe with the model that I purchased is that it lacks a wide field of view. Works great so far for attaching a trailer to the truck. Awesome view of the ball.
post #28 of 78 Old 02-28-2018, 05:55 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage
I would use epoxy instead of kydex to get a water tight seal. (of course you'd need a new handle if you ever change it)

2012 F350 SRW CCLB Lariat FX4 300K Miles
post #29 of 78 Old 02-28-2018, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Essentially I drilled a hole in some .060 Kydex with the hole saw that was supplied with the camera. Then I sanded it down until I was left with a very thin ring. Superglued the Kydex to the handle camera opening and then pressed the camera in. I don't think there's any need for waterproofing as the press fit was quite tight. Time may tell different.

I'm sure there was a better way to do it, but that's how I solved the issue. I could have just searched for a camera that actually fit the hole as well, but the handle was actually an afterthought and I had already purchased the cameras.

I haven't mounted the second camera yet. I thought about a forward facing camera, but I've just recently purchased a travel trailer and am exploring the idea of a camera mounted to the rear of that and tied into the 2nd camera input. I see a lot of wireless rv/travel trailer cameras but I don't like the extra monitor on the dash and would like to just use the new Pioneer head unit. I may make a separate post on that once I problem solve that process.

Back to the Pioneer. I'm really frustrated that I can't read transmission temperature or see any of the data related to the DPF on the car features screen. I think, now that I'm towing a trailer, I'm going to go back to the ScanGauge II for those readings. I do like the ability to see real tire pressure values like the Pioneer provides. I may try to get a OBD2 splitter so I can hook in the Pioneer and the ScanGauge II at the same time to fill all my needs.
post #30 of 78 Old 02-28-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger413 View Post
Essentially I drilled a hole in some .060 Kydex with the hole saw that was supplied with the camera. Then I sanded it down until I was left with a very thin ring. Superglued the Kydex to the handle camera opening and then pressed the camera in. I don't think there's any need for waterproofing as the press fit was quite tight. Time may tell different.

I'm sure there was a better way to do it, but that's how I solved the issue. I could have just searched for a camera that actually fit the hole as well, but the handle was actually an afterthought and I had already purchased the cameras.

I haven't mounted the second camera yet. I thought about a forward facing camera, but I've just recently purchased a travel trailer and am exploring the idea of a camera mounted to the rear of that and tied into the 2nd camera input. I see a lot of wireless rv/travel trailer cameras but I don't like the extra monitor on the dash and would like to just use the new Pioneer head unit. I may make a separate post on that once I problem solve that process.

Back to the Pioneer. I'm really frustrated that I can't read transmission temperature or see any of the data related to the DPF on the car features screen. I think, now that I'm towing a trailer, I'm going to go back to the ScanGauge II for those readings. I do like the ability to see real tire pressure values like the Pioneer provides. I may try to get a OBD2 splitter so I can hook in the Pioneer and the ScanGauge II at the same time to fill all my needs.

It may not be a pioneer issue but a issue with the Maestro. Their support is way better about that, so call them. I have. Let us know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode