This past weekend I installed the head unit. I spent some time with the manuals, YouTube and all of the wiring at the kitchen table. I went ahead and connected the Maestro FO1 harness to the Pioneer wiring harness. Installed at the same time was the micro bypass switch. Looked almost professional by the time I was done.
The following day, I spent about four hours working on the install. The factory dash and radio removal was easy. Mounted the new radio using the mounting kit. All of the connections to the new head unit were easy except for the "audio" line coming from the Maestro RR. For some reason it was confusing me a bit. Within the instructions for the Maestro, however, there was a small blurb about connecting this wire to AUX on the back of the Pioneer head units. The other issue I had was the factory Ford connection of the antenna for AM/FM did not mesh with the new Pioneer radio. You'll need one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I was able to do a test of the radio and all of its functions before I secured it back into the dash. Everything works as anticipated. I have retention of steering wheel controls, I am able to read vehicle "metrics", and I have access to all menu options without activating the parking brake. I also added a dual USB port in place of the single 12v outlet that sits next to the exhaust brake button. Looks pretty much factory. I was initially concerned about the quality/look of the Metra mounting kit, but I think it looks great installed.
I ran out of daylight during install day and ended it there. This coming weekend I plan to install backup and forward facing cameras. At the same time I'll install the adapter for the AM/FM antenna while the radio is back out of the dash. For the backup camera, I bought a new tailgate handle that has the camera mount built in. Looks factory, but the hole is a little too big for a direct fit for the particular cameras that I ordered. I believe I can fabricate a fix out of some thin Kydex I have on hand.
Oh, and with the Metra mounting kit they supply you with longer screws that are supposed to take the place of the screws that held the factory head unit it. Well, they were longer but not by enough due to the small shims that you're required to use in the Metra kit. I'm planning on picking up some the right size at my local Tractor Supply today.
I'll post some pics of the finalized project once I get it done this weekend.