6.7 Electronics Discussion (2011-2016) 6.7 Electronics Discussion

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 78 Old 12-28-2017, 04:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Interested to see the update to this. Possibly updating my headunit. Willing to wait until Android Auto is wireless and I can integrate a tuner via the headunit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 78 Old 01-09-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger413 View Post
Months later and now I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Here's the short list . . . tell me what I may be missing.

Pioneer AVH4200 NEX
Pioneer microphone (to set equalizer for listening position)
Maestro RR
Maestro FO1 radio harness
Metra Double DIN mounting kit
Dual USB Port
Micro Bypass Parking Brake Switch
So, I pulled the trigger and bought the items above, along with a pair of waterproof cameras. My intention is to mount one camera in the rear and one up front. Looks like, from what I've read and watched, that I have everything I need to dive into the install. Thus far, it doesn't look like its anything outside my scope of abilities. Probably a full weekend project for me.

I flashed the Maestro last night and decided not to retain any of the sync features. I will be retaining steering wheel controls and vehicle info. Looks like two screens are available for vehicle stuff - one with the gauges and one that has tire pressure, doors, and check engine. From what I've seen in manuals, websites, and videos, this is exactly what I was hoping for. I can eliminate my Scangauge II and get all of the gauge info on the Pioneer. Currently, the truck tire pressure monitoring system doesn't display any true tire pressure readings. Wondering if I'll actually get to see numbers now.

I'll post some pics of my progress as I go.
post #13 of 78 Old 01-27-2018, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm actually looking at the same kind of set up, can't wait to see the pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 78 Old 01-29-2018, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Following your lead Ranger...ordered:

Maestro RR
Maestro FO1 radio harness
Maestro Sat Radio Adapter
SVX300 Radio Tuner
JL Audio HD900/5
SuperCrew JL 13tw5 Box
7200NEX H/U
13TW5

Will be ordering:

Hertz Components (for the price, couldn't justify Focals costing more and sounding the same)

Last edited by boardboy330; 02-15-2018 at 10:51 AM.
post #15 of 78 Old 01-31-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This past weekend I installed the head unit. I spent some time with the manuals, YouTube and all of the wiring at the kitchen table. I went ahead and connected the Maestro FO1 harness to the Pioneer wiring harness. Installed at the same time was the micro bypass switch. Looked almost professional by the time I was done.

The following day, I spent about four hours working on the install. The factory dash and radio removal was easy. Mounted the new radio using the mounting kit. All of the connections to the new head unit were easy except for the "audio" line coming from the Maestro RR. For some reason it was confusing me a bit. Within the instructions for the Maestro, however, there was a small blurb about connecting this wire to AUX on the back of the Pioneer head units. The other issue I had was the factory Ford connection of the antenna for AM/FM did not mesh with the new Pioneer radio. You'll need one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to do a test of the radio and all of its functions before I secured it back into the dash. Everything works as anticipated. I have retention of steering wheel controls, I am able to read vehicle "metrics", and I have access to all menu options without activating the parking brake. I also added a dual USB port in place of the single 12v outlet that sits next to the exhaust brake button. Looks pretty much factory. I was initially concerned about the quality/look of the Metra mounting kit, but I think it looks great installed.

I ran out of daylight during install day and ended it there. This coming weekend I plan to install backup and forward facing cameras. At the same time I'll install the adapter for the AM/FM antenna while the radio is back out of the dash. For the backup camera, I bought a new tailgate handle that has the camera mount built in. Looks factory, but the hole is a little too big for a direct fit for the particular cameras that I ordered. I believe I can fabricate a fix out of some thin Kydex I have on hand.

Oh, and with the Metra mounting kit they supply you with longer screws that are supposed to take the place of the screws that held the factory head unit it. Well, they were longer but not by enough due to the small shims that you're required to use in the Metra kit. I'm planning on picking up some the right size at my local Tractor Supply today.

I'll post some pics of the finalized project once I get it done this weekend.
post #16 of 78 Old 01-31-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Here's a couple of pics . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180127_155127.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	675266   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_114202.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	675274  
post #17 of 78 Old 01-31-2018, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Badass, great background too. Wonder if there is a better mounting option for our trucks vs a plastic surround. Looks decent though.
post #18 of 78 Old 01-31-2018, 08:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I removed the 12v cigarette lighter on the left, and installed a 2-port round outlet there i got off amazon. Then I ran those plugs to the rear of the 4200NEX
Remember that with this setup, you'll see this annoying pop-up on your NEX with the Maestro RR (it comes via Maestro) that will tell you "No bluetooth connected" or something annoying, then disappear. That has zero to do with the headunit itself, as you'll notice you ARE connected. It is a message from the SYNC module, which still exists, and even though you flashed the Maestro to say you don't want to use it, it will continue to send that message.
Two choices

1. remove the panel on the passenger side of the dash, by the door. small panel pops off. inside the SYNC module, you can reach with your hands. Just unplug it. The only negatives are (1) you wont have the power from the USB port on the dash to use for charging and (2) you need to remember to hook that back up if you ever revert. Positives, is the message goes away
2. put the stock headunit back in, go to the bluetooth menu and say bluetooth OFF.
then swap back to the pioneer. the SYNC module wont try anymore and it wont result in any errors.
The Following User Says Thank You to AMG1978 For This Useful Post:
boardboy330 (03-21-2018)
post #19 of 78 Old 02-01-2018, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1978 View Post
I removed the 12v cigarette lighter on the left, and installed a 2-port round outlet there i got off amazon. Then I ran those plugs to the rear of the 4200NEX
Remember that with this setup, you'll see this annoying pop-up on your NEX with the Maestro RR (it comes via Maestro) that will tell you "No bluetooth connected" or something annoying, then disappear. That has zero to do with the headunit itself, as you'll notice you ARE connected. It is a message from the SYNC module, which still exists, and even though you flashed the Maestro to say you don't want to use it, it will continue to send that message.
Two choices

1. remove the panel on the passenger side of the dash, by the door. small panel pops off. inside the SYNC module, you can reach with your hands. Just unplug it. The only negatives are (1) you wont have the power from the USB port on the dash to use for charging and (2) you need to remember to hook that back up if you ever revert. Positives, is the message goes away
2. put the stock headunit back in, go to the bluetooth menu and say bluetooth OFF.
then swap back to the pioneer. the SYNC module wont try anymore and it wont result in any errors.
AMG1978

Thanks for the additional advice.

I think I'm going to go with option #2. I forgot to take a CD out of the factory head unit so this'll kill two birds.
post #20 of 78 Old 02-01-2018, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger413 View Post
AMG1978

Thanks for the additional advice.

I think I'm going to go with option #2. I forgot to take a CD out of the factory head unit so this'll kill two birds.
I got the info on disconnecting the SYNC module directly from iDataLink support. They took it to their backend engineers and found out exactly where that message was coming from, and it cannot be disabled. I then later saw someone responded to one of my posts long after and said he did the disable bluetooth and swapped headunit back. I have plans to do this too as I want to pull my entire dash off to replace one of my blend motors, so I figured i'd put the stock back in, and set that, then put the Pioneer in. I miss having that USB port for my passenger to charge from. I have 2 ports on the driver side, but I dont like them reaching over, and most people see that SYNC port and institutionally want to use it.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode