6.7 Electronics Discussion (2011-2016) 6.7 Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-24-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery Light On

I have a 2012 6.7 at 50,000 miles with the single heavy duty alternator.. Noticed the battery light illuminated on my instrument cluster yesterday. Checked the batteries and got 12.6 v with the engine off and 13.7 volts with the engine running. Batteries are 2 year old Napa Legends and tested 12.6 v each when I disconnected them, so they seem to be okay... (I haven't had them load tested yet though) Checked for loose or faulty connections with no visible signs from the alternator to the battery, and ground connections seem okay as well.

It's not throwing any codes just the battery light after about 20-30 seconds after start up, has anyone experienced this and have any suggestions by chance?

Thanks !

Carm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I would try and scan it and get the code if you can and see what it says. I would start from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 Old 02-24-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I'll give that a shot again in the morning but when I scanned it earlier today I wasn't getting any codes come up with my scan tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-25-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well to follow up, I had the batteries load tested and they came back fine with over 800 CCA but just slightly undercharged, so gave them a quick charge and threw them back in the truck. Truck starts no problem but the battery light did come back on. So my code reader just pulled a P068A - Powertrain and I found online the P068A is "Power Relay de-energized too early"

Any ideas what this might be? Could it just be a bad connection at the pcm/ecm or is it leaning toward a new pcm? I'm a little confused at this point and leaning towards taking it to the dealer...
post #5 of 13 Old 02-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Everytime I've had a p068a, it was caused by at least one bad battery. Have seen this code several times.
Check all connections. Particularly at the passenger side battery and junction box next to battery.
You will need to monitor the vbatt PID using a scan tool to start

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
-Michelangelo
post #6 of 13 Old 02-25-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks kaya I did triple check all the connections and no luck but I seemed to clear the P068a code for now, still have the battery light on the dash come on after start up though. On a few other posts most people say new batteries solved similar issues even if the batteries tested ok.. so I'm leaning toward new batteries although I didn't think that would clear the battery light on the dash.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-28-2017, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if there's any followup on this battery light? Over the weekend I also had the battery light come on about 15 seconds after startup. Battery voltage was 12.62V, dropped to 12.52 volts after about 5 minutes of idling. I took it to Ford (still in warranty) and they said it was a "bad connection under the motor". I couldn't discuss it with the mechanic (service writer seemed to only relay what was on the paperwork, so I don't know "the rest of the story".... I did let them know that I've had to clean corrosion from the passenger side battery negative terminal 4 or 5 times since the truck was new, so they also replaced that one battery. I asked about replacing batteries that are "in a pair" as a pair. Ford won't approve that per the service writer, so I've got one new battery and one 2 year old battery. Hopefully I won't start the "battery flip flop" failures.... Anyway, just wondering if SouthWestPiling ever solved his problem......
post #8 of 13 Old 07-12-2017, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had my battery light come on and I went through the whole gambit of checks. Finally ended up taking it to the dealer where they had it for a few days to chase down a bad wire - the one that controls the indicator light on the dash. Everything was working perfectly, just that wire was bad.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-12-2018, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I am having the same issue on my 2011 f250. put new battery's and an alternator on mine and the light is still on. I have read that it's the wire that runs from the alternator down under the motor I believe and to the pcm or ecm. I guess they have a spot that corrodes? Has anyone else heard of this? I am not real crazy about trying to chase this down with as many wires as there are on these things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-31-2018, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes I have the same problem, it’s either the yellow wire or the red wire that goes from the alternator to the computer... anyone know what wire it is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in