1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-24-2015, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2015 XL F350 stereo replacement

I want to change out the stock stereo in my 2015 f350 xl dually. I can't take the sound of the stock stereo anymore. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-24-2015, 07:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
What's your budget? Will you installing yourself? A LOT of good options out there and doing the install yourself can save you some good coin. My suggestion is to use something that can take advantage of the capabilities of the iDataLink Maestro (Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine for example).

David
PSD-Less - '16 Cummins Ram Big Horn MC
QC, AZ
post #3 of 22 Old 11-24-2015, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am hoping to only spend $400.00 to $500.00. I will do the install myself. I have researched kenwood and pioneer and like both equally. I need something that will work well with an android galaxy note 4. I don't really need to have navigation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-24-2015, 09:58 AM

I used a Kenwood Excelon DDX5902 with an iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR in my truck and couldn't be happier. It interfaces seamlessly with the truck with no splicing of the factory harness required and retains all the original features (Sync). Plus, if you're not running a tuner or OBD device, the deck will connect to your OBD port and display a few gauges if you want to configure them. For me the thing that sold me on this setup was the ability to use all the features of Pandora (view stations, thumb up/down, etc) without even having to take the phone out of my pocket. Plus, since it still interfaces with Sync, I didn't have to run a separate mic for handsfree features that would end up looking out of place. I also took it one step further and ordered a Miracast dongle and now I can cast my phone's screen wirelessly to the HU. Who needs nav when you can cast Google nav from your phone directly to your screen! Seriously, I love my setup. I spent about $625 for the whole setup. You may be able to do a bit better if you shop around...

David
QC, AZ
post #5 of 22 Old 11-24-2015, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. What phone do you use with it?
post #6 of 22 Old 11-24-2015, 12:47 PM

Samsung Galaxy S6

David
QC, AZ
post #7 of 22 Old 11-25-2015, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
NSRacer - I'm also looking at the Kenwood Excelon unit to replace my stock radio. My truck is an XL with no sync.

My question is - if I use the Maestro unit, will I be able to display any of the gauge and car info using the idata link if I don't have the sync? And if not, is the sync a module that I can buy and just plug in, do you know? I will be running a CTS2 monitor in my OBD port, so will that make the system info not display? Is it the maestro unit that plugs into the OBD port? And do you know if I buy the steering wheel control module and install it, should it work if using the maestro?

thanks
John
post #8 of 22 Old 11-25-2015, 11:16 AM

So the Maestro unit uses plugs into your original stereo harness where it interfaces with your truck's CAN bus. The OBD connection is a separate one in which 2 wires from the Maestro connect to 2 wires on the OBD port (using either the included OBD connector, or by tapping the wires with wire taps). The OBD connection is not required for the stereo functionality, however; it is only for the ability to use the gauges on the HU. Now, on my truck I was unable to use the gauges since the HU was fighting with my tuner for the data stream from the OBD port. Not sure if the CTS2 will cause the same issue, but just keep that in mind. At the end of the day, your CTS2 has waaaay more available PIDs to monitor than the HU, so I wouldn't sweat not being able to see the gauges on the HU if you're already running a monitoring device.

As for Sync... I'm going to assume all the wiring is already in place since the Sync module seems to be plug 'n play, so I'd guess that once you have it installed the Maestro will "just work" with it. But, that's just my ASSumption

David
QC, AZ
post #9 of 22 Old 11-25-2015, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks - I was hoping that I could get at least the TPMS readout of all the tire pressures onto the HU using the maestro - offhand, I don't know if the CTS2 will display that or not. I'll prob try to just tap those two wires and see if it will work with the CTS2 hooked up.

For the sync - do you know where the stock system gets the mic from? I know the Kenwood unit has it's own, but like you I'd rather not have to install it if I don't have to.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-26-2015, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
I ordered and put in a pioneer AVH-x5800BHS in my 12 last night. It was $600 even with sync and steering wheel control adapters. Even on factory speakers the sound quality is night and day. Can't wait to put my focals and amps in mine. Really really great unit. Clear screen and 13 band EQ, time alignment, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode