2011 F-350 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7l Powerstroke grinding/vibration...please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Drivetrain Problems (2011-2016) 6.7 Drivetrain Problems

1Likes
  • 1 Post By G8orFord

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-09-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2011 F-350 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7l Powerstroke grinding/vibration...please help

Anyone know what this could be, or ‘been there’ and found a solution? There is a strange grinding sound (like metal on metal) and a vibration that is felt in floorboard under the radio and dash when accelerating up to 30lbs of turbo boost pressure on our 2011 Ford F-350 6.7L Powerstroke King Ranch Crew Cab 4x4. We are suspecting something with the driveshaft but are unsure as many google and YouTube searches have proven useless. (Maybe I’m just not describing it properly.) it is pretty loud and the vibration can easily be felt in the floorboard right under the dash. It kind of reminds me of the sound that using a metal grinding wheel on tin would make, it is a very quick vibration and as soon as the pedal is released it immediately stops. It seems to be related to torque and something flexing causing metal on metal contact. If the truck is not under boost or moderate acceleration it does not happen. We need to get this straight soon because the truck is about to have to pull a 43’ 5th wheel.

Recent changes (1 week ago):
Factory turbo was changed to a 63mm Borg Warner Scorpion S3-63 kit Wastegate deleted EFI Live Ez Lynk tune professionally installed

Previous modifications (2 years or longer):
EGR delete with 30hp tune (removed with new tune and turbo) 4” lift 35” tires Bilstein shocks 4” aftermarket exhaust and cold air intake

Any insight is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-09-2019, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 2540 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not sure how close the downpipe comes to the cab on the 6.7, but I know on the 6.0, if you didn't get it back right, it would hit the cab and do exactly what you're describing. Or at leat what I think you're describing.
SparkyF250 likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #3 of 7 Old 01-09-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

G8orFord:
Thank you so much for responding, That’s kinda the track my husband and I were steering toward within the last hour. That it has something to do with the downpipe flexing upon torque, a clamp is not on properly, a bolt is not torqued properly, or the heat shield is rubbing against something when wind gets under there. (We have the fender walls off as well until we know we don’t have to access the area again anytime soon)
That is definitely the area the noise is coming from. It definitely sounds like something grinding metal to metal and the vibration is very quick. And at least one component of the metal grinding sounds thin. Which makes your response sound logical. Fingers crossed, hopefully you are right since that would be an easy fix. I’ll respond back if that’s what we find.
If you think of anything else, it would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-10-2019, 01:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I would have to agree it sounds like the pipe is hitting. Things are cramped in there I've heard many stories of having to tweak the pipe just so to get it back in right. Things might be tight and fit as it is but the angles might be off just enough to rub so if things are tight it still might be the pipe rubbing.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-10-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Our son had the truck yesterday so we will be digging into it, in depth, today now that we have it back.
My husband ran it by the mechanic we use this morning and they took it for a ride and he also said he would start by looking at the downpipe rubbing or a bolt that does not have enough clearance under torque. .......And just for peace of mind we asked him to run a diagnostics on the injectors to make sure we didn’t have another issue as well since we need to be comfortable with this truck on the road ASAP. The injectors checked out fine.
We were told yesterday to possibly look at the torque converter, but the fluid is clean, not overheating, not stalling, not slipping.

I really hope you guys are right on the downpipe, it would make sense.

We are checking it out now, I’ll update if we come to a conclusion or think of anything else to add to the symptoms.

Thanks again for the responses.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-10-2019, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Hi all I have an 07 F350 doing something similar but the boost is not a factor I think. It only happens during acceleration and when holding speeds.
Have you found a solution to your problem?
Thanks ,
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg2019 View Post
Our son had the truck yesterday so we will be digging into it, in depth, today now that we have it back.
My husband ran it by the mechanic we use this morning and they took it for a ride and he also said he would start by looking at the downpipe rubbing or a bolt that does not have enough clearance under torque. .......And just for peace of mind we asked him to run a diagnostics on the injectors to make sure we didn’t have another issue as well since we need to be comfortable with this truck on the road ASAP. The injectors checked out fine.
We were told yesterday to possibly look at the torque converter, but the fluid is clean, not overheating, not stalling, not slipping.

I really hope you guys are right on the downpipe, it would make sense.

We are checking it out now, I’ll update if we come to a conclusion or think of anything else to add to the symptoms.

Thanks again for the responses.

1970 351 Cleveland, 2007 F150 V6, 2007 F350 6.0
Aaron

post #7 of 7 Old 08-10-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

breathingfiredragon : so we actually had two issues going on that were causing the noise we were hearing. Making it very difficult to describe and diagnose.

The first was what others were suggesting with the exhaust :
we had an exhaust pipe metal clamp come slightly loose, due to my husband’s buddy not tightening the bolt at all when he was assisting with the turbo replacement, right near the firewall. (Lesson learned: check behind the work of others on your own vehicle, especially when everyone is tired and up in the wee hours of the night working on the truck after a long day of work)
The second issue we were hearing was: an ignition rattle due to a failed injector(the injector was sending too much diesel causing too high and fast pressure in the cylinder. (We ended up changing all of the injectors with new injectors since we couldn’t afford for this truck to be down while my husband is working out of town and has to have a truck for the job site). Once we changed the injectors we brought the truck to our mechanic who graciously hooked his Snap-On scan tool to the ECM and let us program the injectors ourselves, according to the IQA code on the injector paperwork.

We had a chain reaction of fuel system issues (no CP4 failure thankfully!) that I will spare you a lengthier post on. We did other work to this truck when we did the injectors that, in hindsight, we believe was ultimately the cause of the turbo failure. If you want more details just PM me and I can give you the whole story, but in short, these two things remedied the noise (noises) we were hearing simultaneously. (We didn’t realize it was two noises until the exhaust leak was fixed)
Hope one of these solutions help you out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode