Front end clunk help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Drivetrain Problems (2011-2016) 6.7 Drivetrain Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-09-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front end clunk help

I have a 13 f250 crew cab 4#4 stock suspension. Have replace shocks and a rt outer lower tie rod. The rest of the front it tight. However I am still getting a lot of clunking from the front end over bumps. I live in Vermont so our roads are quite bumpy. It almost feels as if the front hops when I hit a bump that is why I put new shocks on but didnít. Seem to matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-15-2018, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Anyone ??

post #3 of 10 Old 02-15-2018, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,094 Times in 2,003 Posts
Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
Quoted: 3107 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
well you started with a vibration: https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...n-problem.html

Then you replaced ball joints and tie rods: https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...-tie-rods.html

vibrations again: https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7...king-help.html

clunk in dec: https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...-clunking.html

Now we are here... more noises, no pics, no video, no new info, nothing to help us... I'm fairly certain you can see why no one has replied.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-15-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

I tried taking a video but you canít hear any of the clunking. I am able to feel it more than hear it. I have come to conclusion that the violent shaking was death wobble. However I had it at a local shop today and he said everything is tight. I notice the clunk a lot on my uneven ice driveway.

post #5 of 10 Old 02-16-2018, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,094 Times in 2,003 Posts
Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
Quoted: 3107 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well, all I can tell you is to mount a gopro type camera under your truck... or take a tech for a ride with you.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #6 of 10 Old 02-16-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

It is much better the colder it is outside. I will try to get a go pro. Thank you

post #7 of 10 Old 03-21-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Finally figured out the clunk it was the ball joint on the trac bar. What a difference how it drives now

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grassano For This Useful Post:
boardboy330 (03-26-2018)
post #8 of 10 Old 11-28-2018, 07:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I signed up to do research on this and seems a lot of problems are solved with an adjustable track bar and new ball joint.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-20-2019, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
My front diff clunks and the tires jerk violently (they feel like they're jumping off the road) when I'm in 4 hi or 4 low, going forward or in reverse (no matter how slow or fast I'm going) and I turn the steering wheel at the same time, on dirt or pavement. The service manager at the Ford dealer I bought it from tells me this is normal, none of the other 4x4's I've owned have ever done this, not even after they were lifted 7" like my full size 84 Bronco was (she was a beast off road).

2016 F-350, King Ranch, CC, 6.7, DRW, 4x4, FX4, manual/auto front hubs, 3.73 gears front & back, the truck has a little over 17,000 miles on it and the suspension is bone stock with the exception of the steering stabilizer, I replaced the OEM one with the matching Rancho unit since the truck came from the factory with Rancho shocks on it and now the steering doesn't drift when going down the road like it did with the OEM steering stabilizer.

Last edited by Lightning546; 03-20-2019 at 04:51 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-20-2019, 09:07 PM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning546 View Post
My front diff clunks and the tires jerk violently (they feel like they're jumping off the road) when I'm in 4 hi or 4 low, going forward or in reverse (no matter how slow or fast I'm going) and I turn the steering wheel at the same time, on dirt or pavement. The service manager at the Ford dealer I bought it from tells me this is normal, none of the other 4x4's I've owned have ever done this, not even after they were lifted 7" like my full size 84 Bronco was (she was a beast off road).

2016 F-350, King Ranch, CC, 6.7, DRW, 4x4, FX4, manual/auto front hubs, 3.73 gears front & back, the truck has a little over 17,000 miles on it and the suspension is bone stock with the exception of the steering stabilizer, I replaced the OEM one with the matching Rancho unit since the truck came from the factory with Rancho shocks on it and now the steering doesn't drift when going down the road like it did with the OEM steering stabilizer.
Completely normal... its the front end binding up when you turn the wheel with 4x4 engaged. Thats why you aren't supposed to use 4x4 on dry pavement.

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode