1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hydro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 11-19-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question No power steering but brakes work fine.

First time posting.

After searching around for a few days it seems the problem with my truck may not be the power steering pump as I had initially suspected. My truck has always felt like there is no power steering, sometimes in mid-turn, the wheel feels like it locks up (like turning left in intersections), and on the highway it is ok but I can still tell there is no power steering.

But my brakes work fine, if it was my power steering pump I would not have brakes, is that correct?

So could it be the gearbox? Or the joints on the steering shaft?

I have a 6.4 with 191k miles on it (26k on the engine block). I had read these trucks are hard to steer so when I got the truck I thought it was normal, then I got a 6.4 at work as my work truck, and it turns great, wheels turn back and forth while stopped. My truck is all stock (except for EGR delete and DPF delete), no lift, no big tires.

What can I check to get down to the bottom of this? Will I just have to start replacing things until it is fixed? What would you guys recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-19-2019, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Steering box and steering box is most like not the issue. You would have “wandering” steering vs lockup. U joints aren’t generally an issue unless running 4 wheel drive and the front drive shafts aren’t turning unless they are locked. I would bleed the pump and see how it bleeds. There a number of DIYs on that procedure. I would start somewhere in there
post #3 of 3 Old 11-19-2019, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Garage
One of your u-joints at the front wheel is partially seized
gotta use the 4 wheel drive at times to keep the joints free

Lock the front hubs manually one at a time and drive around in a parking lot, if you feel jerking/oscillation -- well that is the one

Had this happen on mine a while back -- thought something was wrong with the steering box -- gray moment I suppose
had to use the 4 wheel drive and noticed the steering pulling/jerking went to a simple oscillation each time the wheel rotated
the joint was binding that bad
kaya likes this.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
power steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode