Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New (to me) 6.4 with fuel issues

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  preachermanhull 
#1 ·
Finally got everything the way I wanted on my 6.0. So today I bought a 2008 f350 6.4! Been wanting one for a while and found a deal. Anyway, the truck is at a diesel shop near me. I know the shop owner...says the truck would start, run a few seconds and die. They found a low fuel pressure issue (didn’t say if it was supply or rail). I’m hoping to have the truck at my place this weekend to start finding the issue. This is gonna be exciting! The truck has 99,000 miles, is an xlt, 4wd crew, auto. And is already studded and deleted! Wish me luck!!

#2 ·
The truck came an Sct x4 with these tunes...anyone know who’s tunes these are?

Attachments

#4 ·
Awesome thanks!!! Any idea what the “E” and “F” would mean on my tunes?

#5 ·
Alright, so I did get a few hrs on the truck today. Was able to bleed the fuel system and get it to fire up but would only run a few seconds. But I have a MUCH bigger issue...steel shavings in the oil filter. The oil was thick and slimy so I was thinking maybe water in the oil from a bad front cover. Radiator was pretty low too. Pulled the oil filter and washed it in a gallon of gas. Strained the gas through a cloth and collected about 2 table spoons of metallic flakes and grit. So I started disassembling everything to pull the engine. Got everything out except the turbos. Someone has replaced the heads and studded recently...as in just barely starting to get surface rust on the studs. Planning to keep this truck so my question is this...1. Should I go with a junk yard engine (100,000 with 90 day warranty for $5500), 2. Go with a reman short block and reuse these new heads then add a new pump and injectors, 3. Completely rebuild my short block and reuse these heads? Your thoughts...

#6 ·
Alright...so I made some calls today and $5500 is about the best I’m gonna be able to do on a low mileage engine any where near me. So I think I’m gonna rebuild mine unless there’s catastrophic damage once I have it apart. I’ll be using oem gaskets and Maxxforce 7 pistons. Probably a stage one cam kit as well. Any suggestions or advice before this goes down?

#7 ·
Lots of penetrating oil and some brand new 10mm sockets for the turbo up pipe bolts. Order a new turbo seal kit from ford also. This will include new oil drain tubes, turbo up pipe bolts, gaskets, copper crush gaskets for the fuel lines and new seals for where the turbos meet. The crush washers are a one time use. Most recommend replacing the lines from fuel bowl to cooler also. The fuel injector feed lines are a one time use also so order new ones. Most of everything else you should know if you are that deep into the motor.

Attachments

#8 ·
Awesome...thanks!

#9 ·
Haven’t had a lot of time to work on the truck but I did remove the turbos, hpfp, front cover and oil cooler. No issues with the cover or cooler that I can see. The truck has had reman heads put on so I’m hoping (fingers crossed) that they used cheap gaskets and the water in the oil occurred as a result. I’m really praying there’s not a crack in the heads or block that caused it!! Hopefully get the engine out and apart next week.

#10 ·
I was able to pull the engine and get it apart. Still not 100% convinced how the water got in the oil. The blocked is at the machine shop and will be checked and pressure tested to be sure. Planning on new heads as well as front cover and oil cooler just to be sure. I did find a bad rod bearing on number 8 and a few hung injectors (which explains the low rail pressure/ no start). The most interesting thing I found was bearings with a 10/17 date code...apparently not been long since someone tried to install a bandaid. Also, whoever had it down last time put the thrust bearing in up side down...lol! So, if the block checks out and the crank will turn...I’ll be putting it back together in a few weeks.

#11 ·
Well...a few things have changed! My block (main saddle) is bad, 2 bad rods and my crank is to bad to turn...so, I found a used reman that ran like a top when pulled. I have it set in the truck and hope to have it running by the weekend. Not really the way I wanted to go but atleast it gets the truck back on the road!

#12 ·
It’s running! I have a few odds and ends to work out but it’s going. Left rear caliper is sticking, 4wd not working and a massive rear main oil leak (why in the world I didn’t put a knew one in while the motor was out is beyond me...I knew I should’ve). 4wd codes are p1828/p1832 if anyone has any insight. I cleared them and 1832 came back instantly...1828 did not. Thanks guys...it’s good to hear it purr!

#13 ·
Quick update...replaced the sticky caliper, ordered a new trans case shift motor, and cleaned the nasty interior. Found out the oil leak wasn’t the rear main...instead it came from a pencil sized hole in the aluminum rear engine cover caused by a bolt that got lodged between there and the flywheel! The bolt that fell out when I pulled the trans wasn’t anything that belonged on a 6.4...all I can figure is someone dropped it down in there when they pulled the engine. Anyway...I had a spare rear cover so that issue is fixed. Waiting on the shift motor. Also waiting on an upgrade trans pan since the one I have is for pre-2008. Apparently someone either put an older trans in or replaced the pan with the earlier style...who knows. Hopefully have everything back together and working by the weekend.

#14 ·
Shift motor is in and working. The trans pan/filter is swapped. Ended up having to swap the rear axle because some miss matched gear ratios at some point. I did ended up with high oil temps (probably due to a filthy coolant system with the previous engine) so I have an oil cooler on order. Looking forward to getting this thing on the road!

#16 ·
I’m sorry...I don’t. I may be able to find the pics of the truck when I bought it and then what it looks like now. I added different step bars and fender flares...plus cleaned it up. It’s in my shop tore down awaiting the new oil cooler which should be here Thursday...as soon as it’s back together I’ll get some pictures posted.

#17 ·
#18 ·
I have it apart waiting on the oil cooler...I’ll post pics of that when I get back on it. Also, I’ll post pics once it’s back together and cleaned up.

#19 ·
Apologies...I forgot to get any pics while torn down for the cooler. I do have it back together now and working as it should. I also installed a touch screen android head unit with torque pro...love that setup! May even upgrade to that in my 6.0. Other than that, not much else has happened with the 6.4...been busy with 2 other 6.0’s and a transmission job. I did get a tag on the 6.4 and have driven it some. I still need to do some paint work and fix a few minor things like a broken ac vent and window switch. I’ll keep the thread updated but it’s basically ready for a new owner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.