6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-16-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question HPFP Tune and Delete Help

Hi, I'm new to the forum, hopefully, this is the right place for my post. I appreciate anyone that can help me out. Got alot going on, and I really could use some help.

Notes: I have done my best to do as much research and looking through the forums as I could, but have a few unanswered questions. I am also in SC and there are no emissions checks here so I don't care.

Some background: Bought a 2008 F-450 6.4 used. To cheap if I might say... had problems from day one. Which most would suspect why I am here. I am confident this was owned by a kid that beat the crap out of it. Mostly had cosmetic dash damage. Which I was able to fix. It is bone stock besides an air intake (that I had to fix btw). It threw a transmission code for a sensor, so replaced it and it fixed my issues with that. Then I got a P0088 high fuel rail pressure. Took it to ford and had the TSB done for the computer. Also had them check over everything. It ran fine for a couple of days then started again. Learned its the HPFP and that it could also be ground issues in the fuel pump harness. I parked the truck for about 2 years while working. I believe the DPF became clogged right as the pump was going so ill have to delete that. So... took to ford agian. they checked the codes and now it has...

Truck:
2008 F-450 6.4L Dually 4X4 Lariat

Codes:
P0088 - High fuel line pressure
P065B - Alternator
P1000 - Computer reset code
P246C - DPF clogged

How it acts:
Runs perfect for about 15 minutes or until I run it hard. Then derates. Turbo seams to build pressure to 4-5psi then die and I hear what sounds like a sputtery leak from the I guess blow off? Doesn't act like a normal semi-truck turbo. Looses power just when it needs the turbo the most. Seams counter-intuitive. And the harder you press the fuel the more it dies out. It cruises at 55mph fine, but no gitty up, won't go over 70mph. Had a little bit of white smoke one time sitting in traffic while it was trying to do a regen.

Parts I know I need:
1.) HPFP remand
2.) Alternator remand (200 amp)
3.) Fuel pump harness kit with new hoses.
4.) Tuner (dunno which one)
5.) DPF/Cat delete pipe.
6.) EGR kit (already have just not installed)
7.) New up pipes without egr pipe end.
8.) Fuel filters (already just replaced will get extra)

Just want to make it clear, to make the truck reliable not trying to add power or anything fancy. Basically, delete the crap off it, and more reliable.

Questions:
1.) Can I delete the DPF, EGR, Cat, and THEN install a tuner? (Like do the repairs and then install hook up the tuner right after.)
Or
2.) Do I need to install the tuner and then drive it around a couple of hundred miles then do all the deletes? I'm asking because If I am going to replace the HPFP I can change out all the up pipes, egr delete and stuff all in one go, but I read here that the tuner might have to be installed first?

3.) Should I install a catch can with atmospheric vent for the intake? Keep seeing mixed reviews. Will this keep the intake oil down? I have some oil spots on the hood, and in the intake pipe.

4.) What tuner is going to do the job? I hear a lot of Spartan, and mini maxx, Bully Dog. But I found a SCT Livewire TS+ on eBay. $519 shipped (Will it come with all deletes?)

5.) Do I have to take it to a shop for the delete tunes? Or does it come with them in the tuner itself (the deletes)?

6.) Should I install a secondary fuel filtration and water filter/system before the factory one? Like an inline filter for extra protection?

7.) If I do this job should injectors be done aswell?

8.) Would my glow plugs be a factor in any of this?

Havnt drove the truck in two years. Have a couple of grand to fix this truck just need some help pointing me in the right direction. Sorry this post is a little long-winded. I really would like to make it more reliable. It has never let me down before, so figure it would be worth it. If anyone has any other recommendations or parts I should get that would help me please let me know. Any and all help much appreciated! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-17-2019, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
So first off, you said it sat for 2 years. Did you change fluids, fuel, and filters before driving it again? At a minimum I would have changed diesel, fuel filters, and done an oil change. That's a long time to sit unused. Driving it with that old fuel is only going to make things worse...especially if it's throwing a clogged DPF code. You should not be driving it anymore until deleted or corrected.

I'm no expert, so hopefully someone will chime in. There is no blow off on diesel engines due to lack of a throttle bottle. If you are losing boost at 5psi, then I wonder if it's some other problem, or the computer trying to keep the truck in limp mode. Or it could be due to the clogged DPF creating too much back pressure. There's just so many things going on right now.

Since you don't have emissions, you should definitely delete EGR and DPF asap. When people say install the tuner first, that's so you are certain the computer took the tune. DO NOT start the engine after uploading the tune...until you have deleted all the hardware you are taking out. Make sense? Start it after everything is complete only. It happened to me (tuner died during install) and thank goodness I didn't start taking parts off cause I wouldn't have been able to drive the truck until the new tuner came in the mail...or would have had to reinstall everything.

If you are replacing HPFP, then you need to do the entire fuel system from what I have read...if you had dirty FOD in the fuel bowls (injectors, lines, etc). Much more involved and expensive. I'm not sure if that's your problem though. What did your filters look like? Did you have glitter metal shards in the bowl?
post #3 of 4 Old 09-17-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been adding some diesel kleen to the fuel system which was two-fold, trying to correct the issues, and I knew it was going to sit. I figured that would at least keep it decent enough? I plan to change out everything before driving it again so no worries. I just wanted to make certain that I had to have the tuner installed and loaded up before I start pulling parts off. Like why not start it after uploading tune? Im sorry just a bit confusing.

The fuel filters that it came with had no sign of metal. At least from what I remember. And the new ones went in as soon as I got the truck. Also from what I remember I don't think there was any water in the water separator.

Last edited by Benjamin Davis; 09-17-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-18-2019, 04:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I still don't think I would use fuel that old. Personally I would have drained the tank and started fresh...always using 8oz of diesel kleen with every fillup. I've heard some stories of people over using the diesel kleen dosage and causing some major fuel system issues. How much have you used? As long as the fuel bowl is clean with no debris or glitter (and the filters too), then your injectors should be fine. But you may want to get them tested while you have the whole system apart. BTW, I've never had any water in my separator, and I drain it probably 4 times a year. I guess that's for people in super humid areas or that fill-up at bargain crap diesel stations.

You can start the truck after uploading the tune...but just for a few seconds to make sure the computer is still good. You DO NOT want to be running the engine with a tune loaded, and not deletes done...or with deletes done and no tune uploaded. Tune is going to shut down all the regen crap, so you don't want to run the engine with a miss-match setup if that makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode