6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 05-23-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Cooler Plugged After One Month!!!

2008 F350 Cab and chassis, 6spd 175,000 miles. Spartan/Patriot tow tune.
Radiator cap failed in and Arizona summer had no choice but to fill with tap water while pulling 5th wheel. I know that's a no no but side of the road in BFE fix to get moving. Drove it that way for a few weeks until I was able to replace the leaking radiator. Since then knew delta split was of 25+ oil vs water. Finally got it in ford house knowing what was wrong and they agreed (oil cooler)! They recommended inspection of front cover witch I agreed needed done and it had cavitation so was replaced. ( I did see front cover to verify). Tech says worst case of rust in system he has seen. Yet only ran one quart of VC9 through system? One week after picking truck up had to return, heater core was plugged. It was isolated from cooling system and flushed both ways and cleared up worked fine. Present moment, hooked up to travel trailer for a two hour trip and went from normal temp splits of 190 water - 244 oil, less then 150 miles, OK to TX.
Dealer that performed work says cant do nothing until it throws the dreaded P0128 +/-. The local ford house ran scan and it pulled nothing? Truck runs 20+ delta split empty on highway. I'm not a new'b or ignorant of these trucks. I do what work on them I can , so no smart remarks are needed thank you. Just wanted some input and support. Please no stupid questions/replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-23-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

FYI. When radiator was replaced ran lots of water through system with no chemicals . Plus 8 gallons distilled flushes Filled with four gallons ford gold concentrate with four gallons distilled.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-24-2019, 03:22 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Not a Powerstroke, but since you mentioned rust...
Last year I noticed my Dakota run warm when pulling a trailer. It progressively got worse to the point of starting to overheat above 60 mph. Replaced everything from the front cover forward, and noticed a lot of rust buildup in the coolant passageways. I ran 2 quarts of CLR and filled the rest with water, with thermostat out, brought it up to temp, and let it sit overnight. I made a fitting to attach to the bleed port and ran a water hose to flush while running. Granted, it doesn’t have an oil cooler, but it cleaned out all of the internal passageways. Whether or not you want to do it is up to you, but I think if rust is an issue, you’ll be going through a lot of coolers until it’s resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 05-25-2019, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At present is there rust in the degas bottle?
post #5 of 23 Old 05-27-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Negative on that, looks like clean coolant.
There was some build up in it when I changed the radiator but it was thoughryly cleaned by myself. Sorry for the delay was busy with the holiday..
Still looking for input and support on this subject.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-27-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

On that same note I thought it strange, they added 6 gallons ford gold, opposed to 4 to make it a 50/50 mixture?
post #7 of 23 Old 05-27-2019, 06:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Garage
So im late to the party but your oil cooler is clogged. As to why the code isnt coming back, i assume you need more drive cycles to throw it. Try disconnecting the batteries and draining the system for an hour. That will reset everything and maybe make it come back quicker.

Motorcraft gold comes in 50/50 pre diluted mix or full concentrate.
post #8 of 23 Old 05-28-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the tip on resetting the system ,will give that a try. I looked up the part # and they did use the 50/50 then I assume finish off with water. Since the system holds close to or right at 8 gallons. Or it still had 2 gallons left in it they didnt drain after the flush. Will keep y'all posted.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-28-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: Truck idled most of day as it is my field office. Drive home 70 mph around 85 ° roughly 30 miles Texas , flat .
Water 190 ,Oil hit 250.° still no codes. I'm reading 260° is a magic # that's supposed to through the wrench. At this rate be there in a few days..
post #10 of 23 Old 05-28-2019, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Garage
Gonna put a coolant filter on to catch all that crud?

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode