'08 F450 - p2263 during Autoenginuity KOER Self Test? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-05-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'08 F450 - p2263 during Autoenginuity KOER Self Test?

Hey guys...

Our '08 F450 blew a lower intercooler boot on the interstate last night. The driver "limped" it home by driving it as fast as it would go which was roughly 40mph.

I replaced the boot today and ran some tests on it. After clearing the codes.. ran the KOER self test with autoenginuity. When it got the the portion of the test where it cycles the VGT system and builds boost, it doesn't seem to function as it normally did. Before, it would close the VGT and would build ~10psi during the test. This time, it was clear that it wasn't as engine sound barely changed... could barely hear the charger pick-up and it only built ~3psi.

After the test, it threw a p2263.

On the road, it's a little laggy down low (not terrible.. just noticeable) and only builds ~32psi full tilt now where it would nearly peg the gauge prior to the failure. It doesn't set a trouble code while driving.. just during the diagnostic tests with the Autoenginuity.

There are no intake leaks... stock intake system. Truck is running a DPF-R "no power added" tune and a gutted cat/dpf. Otherwise, the truck is bone stock with 300k miles on it. The turbochargers are original to the truck.

I'm assuming the actuator for the VGT or the vanes themselves are sticking.

Is there anyway to test or clean the solenoid/actuator without pulling the charger and tearing it down?

It's a company truck so at that point, I would probably just replace the turbochargers if they have to come off the truck anyways.

Thanks
-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-05-2017, 09:05 AM

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,749 Posts
Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
He drove it WOT with a blown boot

It would skyrocket the EGT

Hopefully the turbos acting up is not
Due to the EGT

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-05-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Not sure. The only code set when I got to the shop was the P2263. I would think it would have tripped a code for EGT and went into limp mode.

The driver said it would only pull up to 2200ish rpm with his foot planted.

It currently runs fine.. no odd noises or misfiring.. He claims he was just trying to keep up with traffic even though he was told by the boss to LIMP it home.. He said "well it would only go 40ish and I didn't want to get ran over"...

Whole underside of the truck is soaked in oil from a broken dipstick tube and the boot having a hole in it big enough for my fist. Turbos don't seem to be making any odd noises or anything out of the ordinary other then being a bit laggy on the bottom end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-05-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Pulled the oil cap... no blow-by to speak of. I don't think the engine is hurt.. just the turbo(s). Based on how it's acting, it is something to do with the VGT system.

-Update-

VGT actuator seems to be working as it should. At idle, it is being commanded at 95%. As throttle is applied, the command drops and the actuator is moving smoothly with no binding or odd noises. If it's an issue with the VGT, it's internal.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by acidburn02zts; 05-05-2017 at 10:56 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-08-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Dipstick tube showed up today so I got that changed and pressure washed the engine bay and under carriage. I think that took care of the oil leak...

Drove it a bit and turbo response is terrible down low compared to how it used to drive.. very laggy. If I roll into the throttle allowing the charger to come online, then it takes off and pulls fine. Basically, it drives like anything pre-VGT.

Everything electronic and linkage wise checks out. The arms move freely with the engine off and the solenoid cycles as it should with the engine running... but it would appear that the vanes internal to the charger aren't moving.

It hasn't thrown a code for it yet.. but I'm sure it will after a few weeks (if it even takes that long).

I assume the only option is new charger(s) at this point. From my understanding, getting 300k out of the stock cab/chassis turbochargers is all but unheard of anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode