Stage 2 Kit? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

2Likes
  • 1 Post By onecrazyfoo4u
  • 1 Post By onecrazyfoo4u

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-06-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stage 2 Kit?

I have a 2010 F250 King Ranch with the 6.4 Turbo. Currently I am getting between 11.5 - 12 mpg around town and haven't really had out on the highway to get an avg there. I have not had this truck long and already have a list of things I want to do...however, I don't want to just start tossing $$ at it "just because". I need to keep it 50 state legal, so DPF and whatnot has to stay I do believe...if I am wrong, please correct me. This is my first diesel and I am learning but know what I like.

This truck is straight stock King Ranch with 6.5' bed 275/70R18 tires and most likely factory shocks with bed cover. Truck has just a little under 150k miles. Will be used primarily to pull a 19' camper and two 4 wheelers or one side x side or any combination there of. The very first thing I noticed about this engine is the HORRIBLE throttle response (not turbo lag, although that's bad too). I could out run this thing on foot for the first 20 yards lol...(not really, but its bad).

Having said all that, I have about a $5k budget to get this throttle response, fuel mileage and turbo lag taken care of...obviously, the less it takes the better and I can put it other places in this truck. First thing I found doing a quick search is the Edge Stage 2 Kit going for $1312.95 from Edge Products website (I can't post links due to my low post count so...) comes with cold air intake, Evolution CTS 2 tuner and exhaust that I believe is DPF back 5". Does anyone know anything about these? From what I can see...again this is my first diesel so I am learning and SIMPLE is good, I don't want a degree in diesel engineering to make it work lol...this is a decent deal and should resolve at least a couple issues. Anyone have any input, thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-09-2019, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
You'll definitely want to get rid of that DPF if you want it to last for you. Do some research on the forum and you'll see the reasons why the DPF is so detrimental to these engines. Many of us live in emissions test states...it's simple enough to reinstall the DPF/re-tune and go get tested...then pull it right back off each year. The cheapest kit is the DPF-R by Gearbox Z...about $550 for the tuner and the replacement pipe. There are many other tuner options you'll find.

Ideally you would want to remove the EGR too, but for emission test states that is way too much work to remove and reinstall each year. Most tuners will electronically shut it off, which is better than nothing.

Seriously though, just with a cheap tune, replacement DPF pipe, and a cold air intake, your truck will open up to a whole new world. It really does feel like doubling the power once you get rid of the cancer/asthma that's been choking out your truck. All for under $1k and you can save that $4k for any potential future repairs. I was regularly getting 12mpg and went to 16mpg daily mixed driving...and 20mpg all highway. What a huge improvement! Don't hesitate!
wheelin'78 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to onecrazyfoo4u For This Useful Post:
wheelin'78 (09-11-2019)
post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazyfoo4u View Post
You'll definitely want to get rid of that DPF if you want it to last for you. Do some research on the forum and you'll see the reasons why the DPF is so detrimental to these engines. Many of us live in emissions test states...it's simple enough to reinstall the DPF/re-tune and go get tested...then pull it right back off each year. The cheapest kit is the DPF-R by Gearbox Z...about $550 for the tuner and the replacement pipe. There are many other tuner options you'll find.

Ideally you would want to remove the EGR too, but for emission test states that is way too much work to remove and reinstall each year. Most tuners will electronically shut it off, which is better than nothing.

Seriously though, just with a cheap tune, replacement DPF pipe, and a cold air intake, your truck will open up to a whole new world. It really does feel like doubling the power once you get rid of the cancer/asthma that's been choking out your truck. All for under $1k and you can save that $4k for any potential future repairs. I was regularly getting 12mpg and went to 16mpg daily mixed driving...and 20mpg all highway. What a huge improvement! Don't hesitate!
I appreciate the input! Of 58 views this thread got 1 reply lol...not very good odds of getting an answer. I will do some more research on that DPF and take a look a the DPF-R Kit you posted! Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-11-2019, 06:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelin'78 View Post
I appreciate the input! Of 58 views this thread got 1 reply lol...not very good odds of getting an answer. I will do some more research on that DPF and take a look a the DPF-R Kit you posted! Thanks again!
Yeah that's kind of how things go on this forum...sometimes you'll get a bunch of responses, sometimes nothing!
wheelin'78 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode