Advice needed on buying a potential pig in a poke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-20-2020, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice needed on buying a potential pig in a poke

Hi everybody, newbie here. My neighbor is selling a 2008 6.4 with 214k miles that he said the #2 injector is bad. So in doing research on this engine I've noticed that #2 and #8 injector problems typically point to bigger internal problems. So I took a good look at the truck today based on what I've seen on the internet to look for, and this is what I've found (note: I don't have any of the fancy Snap-on diagnostic/ compression equipment, comparative compression computer systems or bluetooth computers, so looked at the truck using basic information)... no foul smell or fluid in the antifreeze reservoir, oil dipstick looked normal, no sign of any work done to the engine by the owner, no aftermarket computer or performance components, no black soot on the rear fender, factory exhaust system, exhaust tips had no soot or discoloration, started right up with no smoke (I did feel the engine and it felt lukewarm, as if it was started a couple hours before), hesitated on accelerating, runs and drives, check engine light is on, all dashboard dummy lights were connected, no smoke on start up or idle but pushed out white smoke when accelerating in park that immediately dissipated, the smoke smelled very very noxious that burned your nose, like poisonous, not sweet like regular gas engines. I also used the old trick of turning the engine over with the ignition off and I could hear that the engine turning over was not smooth and constant, but could hear that one cylinder wasn't sounding right as it turned over. The engine also clattered when running, as heard from each front fender well, I forgot to check the oil filler cap for blowby, I didn't get a readout of the error codes, was just going by what the seller said about the one bad injector. The truck is also pretty beat up, so was deducing that the current owner is the second owner and didn't take much care of it. The seller said the truck was taken off the road shortly after the bad injector was discovered and has sat for a year, but I'm thinking that (based on the condition of the truck) the owner continued to drive the sh** out of it even after the bad injector was discovered, which could have burned a piston or whatever else. So I'd like to hear what everyone thinks, (although I'm anticipating alot of "run away as fast as you can"s...). I'm thinking best case scenario it is just a bad injector, and worst case scenario is a burned piston.

Last edited by tom999b; 01-20-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-21-2020, 06:14 AM
Hate stupid people

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
are you prepared to dump $15,000-$20,000 into this truck, maybe not to fix it, but down the road?
the 08-10 6.4s are the most expensive and problem prone engines put into a truck.

Illiana Strokers DICtator
EFI Live tuned 6.7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-21-2020, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,141 Times in 2,049 Posts
Mentioned: 437 Post(s)
Quoted: 3170 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom999b View Post
My neighbor is selling a 2008 6.4 with 214k miles
nine9six likes this.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-21-2020, 06:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Garage
Whats he asking and why are you purchasing it? Work? Hobby?
post #5 of 12 Old 01-21-2020, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, from what I'm reading on the internet, it seems that these engines need more attention than a Hyundai, that you just get into and drive for ten years until the wheels fall off. Most of the information I see is more of doom and gloom than anything else.

The truck is currently a farm work truck, it has a goose neck trailer hitch and a class III towing hitch. It's now sitting in the field in the back 40 where it sat for the last year. I would use it mainly as a daily work commuter (I'm an office worker) and to haul an occasional dirtbike in the bed. The amount of load related things I would use it for are about 1%. What lured me to it is that it's a Harley edition, and it's a very nice looking truck. He's asking $6500 but I'm in no way wanting to sink $15-20k into it to keep it running. I figured I'd buy it cheap, find out the problem, and fix it if the repair is within my budget. And if the repair is over my budget then sell it as a fixer-upper and recoup some of the money and go buy a dodge truck.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-21-2020, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Garage
Well for my two cents on the subject. A non-deleted 6.4 with 215k miles isnt a good thing. Emissions kill these engines slowly over time. Also from what ive seen on the forums, most who save money up front lose money in the rear, meaning buy a cheap truck with problems in the hopes of fixing it up and saving a little money. It rarely ends up like that in the end.

If you are looking for a 6.4 i would buy a more expensive one thats maintained better. That will give you better odds of success in the end. Also when you get some time, look into the emissions with the 6.4’s. There are some parts you will want to buy and install asap if you end uo getting one.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-21-2020, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,141 Times in 2,049 Posts
Mentioned: 437 Post(s)
Quoted: 3170 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
As an office worker, unless you have the tools and the know how to not just turn a wrench but to diag and repair, this is a bad investment for a daily driver AND as a flip truck.

If you want to be smart and learn from others mistakes, this is the thread for you:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...ease-help.html

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...

Last edited by Heavy_GD; 01-21-2020 at 08:32 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-21-2020, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

1500 posts on 148 pages??? holy sh**! I've never read than many pages all through high school. Can you give me a quick overview of the story? I'm thinking this guy bought it for real cheap thinking he could save money and it turned out to be a can of worms and way over the top, money-wise...

Are there any success stories with the 6.4's, like someone bought one very cheap needing an injector, and he replaced the injector and drove happily off into the sunset?

Last edited by Heavy_GD; 01-21-2020 at 09:00 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-21-2020, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I got about 6 pages into that thread and forgot how to get home.

I think the only way you can luck out on getting a 6.4 for cheap is if you get one that was well cared for prior to it needing an injector or whatever it needs. Usually that's not the case though, hence the massive repair bills.
Heavy_GD likes this.

'11 F-250 RCLB FX4 6.7 - Deleted, SCT GTX - Tyrant tuned, Duratrac's on Moto Metal 962's - Sold
'17 Grand Cherokee SRT - Stock
'97 SVT Cobra - Few things
'88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, 4.10's - Sold
'06 F-350 ECSB Lariat FX4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Sold
'07 F-250 XLT ECSB 4x4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Totaled
post #10 of 12 Old 01-21-2020, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree. Can anyone give a quick diagnosis based on the symptoms I'd listed in the first post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode