Severe motor oil leak - Any ideas? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-23-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Severe motor oil leak - Any ideas?

I finally got my 08/6.4 running real nice, no odd noises, just running like it should, I got out of the truck, went around the front, saw a bunch of oil on the ground, I then shut it off & crawled underneath to take a look, It looks like it is leaking motor oil from the back of the engine up by the Turbo.

I check with the scan tool, no codes, temps, normal, no engine light.

Any idea what is leaking?

Thanks..

..Gord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-23-2019, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I would look around the turbos. There is a feed line and drain for each turbo. The smaller turbo drain tube has had a couple issues with it leaking but both are possible. You can buy a replacement seal kit. Check your oil dipstick tube also as they can crack and leak too.
The Following User Says Thank You to colesalisbury01 For This Useful Post:
Gord from Emsdale (11-24-2019)
post #3 of 10 Old 11-23-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks, it is not the dipstick tube, the leak is from up high, I guess I'll have to lift the cab a bit & pull the turbos. I was kind of hoping not to do that, I just finished putting it back together. I know it is not the oil line on the top of the turbo, I just put on a new one. It is a really hard job to do this time of year, its cold out here, usually -6 to -10, snows a lot & just miserable to work in. I have another 6.4 truck in the basement of my shop & I can't move it, so I'm stuck working out side.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-23-2019, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would take a small mirror place it under the turbo and have someone start the truck. Should tell you real fast if one of the drains are leaking. The turbos will fit out from under the firewall if you remove the oil filter and fuel filter caps along with the oil filter tube. It’s just the pain of remove the turbo up pipe bolts
The Following User Says Thank You to colesalisbury01 For This Useful Post:
Gord from Emsdale (11-24-2019)
post #5 of 10 Old 11-24-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will do that, its a pretty bad leak, it will pump out a quart in 20-30 minutes. I just put all new cab mounts on so they will be easy to undo and lift it a couple inches. The guy I bought it from is a real moron, when he lifted the cab to do some work, the torched off all the cab bolts, cut the EM brake cable just after it comes out of the cab, he also cut all the ground wires broke the shifter cable, all the bolts he had removed were left in a bucket outside, so they got real rusty sitting in a bucket of water. it was just a night mare to put back together & Now that I'm almost done, I really didn't need this extra leak.

Thank you for the help & Have a good day.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You can order replacement cab bolts if needed instead did reusing the old ones. Anti seize the new ones and should break free every time easily
post #7 of 10 Old 11-25-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I bought all new body mounts, he torched the old bolts & the body mounts were pretty well shot anyway.
I started tearing it down this afternoon, I lifted the cab 5 inches, lots of room now I just have the up pipe bolts to remove & then pull the turbos. I took the heat shield off and it is looking pretty dry under there. Along the right side of the intake manifold is fairly wet under it, the drivers side is dry as a bone. Could the oil cooler leak like that?
post #8 of 10 Old 11-26-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Update, I took the turbo off this afternoon, didn't need to remove the fuel or oil caps. Even with lifting the cab a bit, those up pipe bolts are a pain for sure. When I lifted the turbo I saw cause of the oil leak, I guess the previous owner wasn't careful enough when he put the turbo on. The turbo drain fitting was damaged & with a fitting like that, its not much wonder it was just pumping the oil out like crazy.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01160.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	725527  
post #9 of 10 Old 11-26-2019, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This should be your part number. Should be 9T514. It’s a complete kit. Should come with new up pipe gaskets, that orange drain tube, new up pipe bolts and crush washers for the oil feed lines. I would order another 9T516B. The kit does come with a replacement O-Ring for the drain tube on the low pressure turbo but they bend super easy. Around $150 for both from local dealer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66BFDB92-1F91-4667-8601-567F23831259_1574824987505.png
Views:	11
Size:	661.3 KB
ID:	725535  
post #10 of 10 Old 12-09-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colesalisbury01 View Post
This should be your part number. Should be 9T514. Itís a complete kit. Should come with new up pipe gaskets, that orange drain tube, new up pipe bolts and crush washers for the oil feed lines. I would order another 9T516B. The kit does come with a replacement O-Ring for the drain tube on the low pressure turbo but they bend super easy. Around $150 for both from local dealer

I have every thing back together now, no more oil leak. Now I have another problem, (they just don't seem to stop), Cylinder # 6 reports Misfire P0306 But if I erase the code after it is warmed up, the misfire will go away. I will put this into another message at the proper place. Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode