2008 F-250 Running Terrible, White Smoke, Searched Hundreds of Threds - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-01-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 2008 F-250 Running Terrible, White Smoke, Searched Hundreds of Threds

OK, I'll start from the beginning.

Wife took my truck to town and put about a half a tank of fuel in. About 15 minutes later she's sitting in a parking lot with truck idling and it starts running rough and pouring white smoke. She drives it the ten miles home and I take it around the block. It feels like it is sputtering and falling on its face like its going to die, then after a few seconds picks up and takes off.

I start it up the next day and it feels like its running on about 4 cylinders with white smoke pouring out that burns my eyes. I changed the oil, oil filters, and fuel filters. I go drive it and its still running a little rough, but as once the coolant gets up to 190 the truck runs smooth. No more missing, no more sputtering, and no more smoke. I park it for the night.

Next day I start the truck up and its back to the same old thing. I have practically zero blow by and when I cranked the engine with out starting its smooth, no misses. I took it in to the shop and I just heard back from them. They said every now and then it will run smooth for them then all of the sudden go extremely rough and almost die. They did a power distribution test and said when it was running smooth everything looked good no misses or cylinders dropping out. He said once it goes rough cylinders drop out all over the place. The truck has no thrown one damn code?!?

Its a 2008 F-250 with 89,000 miles. I have an Injen intake, MBRP 5" down pipe back exhaust, and run a sct x4 tuner with the tunes that came on it. I have not done the egr delete. Is it possible I am getting enough coolant from a cracked egr into the cylinders to make it run so bad? I don't think the exhaust smells like coolant. It makes your clothes reek. With out blow by and the smooth cranking I'm led to think (hope) my pistons are O.K.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-01-2018, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,027 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have you drained the tank of whatever your wife put in it and put in known good stuff?

Not blaming her. That just seems to be where it all started.

Seems a bit of a challenge to be diagnosing it with who-the-hell-knows-what in the tank.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djmaguire For This Useful Post:
5bradpeterson28 (05-01-2018)
post #3 of 4 Old 05-01-2018, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
She had the receipt, she definitely put diesel in it and the gas station says they haven't had any other complaints. I didn't have any where to drain it but now that its at the shop it would probably be a good idea. I did treat the fuel she put in after I did the oil change with seafoam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-01-2018, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,027 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My suggestion/comment was merely one of principle. I am not thinking that she did anything wrong or that you did. ...and it may make no difference at all. If I had to make a bet on your problem, I'd prolly put my money on 60% electrical issue/40% fuel. I just don't like diagnosing problems with a maximum number of variables. As such, the fuel must go.

All of that said... you will find the PC/ED for your truck here:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...al-2008-a.html

Although you have no codes and the PC/ED is mostly entirely code driven, there are no start/rough start/rough run diagnostic check lists. They may help you to see something that you are not yet seeing.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode