Mishimoto turbo boot failures - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 07-15-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mishimoto turbo boot failures

So to start, I have a 2008 6.4 F450(H&S tuning, k&n intake, egr cooler and valve delete, dpf and cat delete, mishimoto cold side intercooler pipe, and mishimoto turbo boot kit)

I was towing my toy hauler on the mild tuning stock tune. Fully loaded is about 17,500 lbs for the trailer and the truck is right at 10k lbs, towed from San Diego up to St. Anthony Idaho and back. There are sections of the trip that you are climbing grades for over 2 hours continuously.
Going through the desert it got to about 110*F outside so I'm sure my under hood temps were way up there. I held 28-34 psi of boost for at least 2-3 hours then would stop and get fuel and start climbing again. EGTs were always in check highest peak was 1050 and was usually around 850-930*F.

Anyways I ended up melting the Mishimoto boot between the turbo and hot side pipe enough that it split, I had an extra mishimoto boot so I put that on and continued my trip, on my way home I got on it a little to change lanes and the hot pipe slipped out of the boot and I noticed the new boot I replaced had melted and the inner silicone layer and the first layer of threads were coming thru. I got home and checked the boot between the hot side pipe and intercooler and sure enough that one was melting and coming apart as well.

According to mishimoto the boots are rated for 572*F. I found a calculator online that tells what turbo outlet temp would be with what the inlet temp, altitude, boost pressure, and compressor efficiency would be. Guessing at underhood/air inlet temps were around 200 degrees and compressor efficiency around 70% and at 30 psi my turbo outlet temps would have been around 700 degrees.

So my question is, has anybody else had this problem? If so what did you do to fix it? Should I try different boots? How do I lower turbo outlet air temps before the intercooler?
I was thinking about wrapping the exhaust manifolds, up pipes, and down pipe and getting turbo blankets to help with under hood temps. Is there anything else I can do to help, besides the obvious of keeping the boost lower, because with 17,500 lb trailer it is hard to keep boost psi low when climbing hills.

Also I am worried there are bits of silicone going into and either clogging the intercooler or making it thru and into the engine. Think I should be concerned or no?

Thanks
Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1468598953342.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	551673   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1468598972981.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	551681   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1468598995540.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	551689   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1468599018969.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	551697   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1468599136736.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	870.2 KB
ID:	551705  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode