Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   6.4 Exterior Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4-exterior-discussion/)
-   -   rusting roof (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4-exterior-discussion/1362095-rusting-roof.html)

j0ker 04-19-2019 03:13 PM

rusting roof

I've recently noticed some rust forming in the outer most channels on both sides. I want to get at it before it spreads but appears to be some type of tar/caulk substance in the channels. What is this? How would I go about removing this to get to the rust forming underneath?

JustinOOO9 04-19-2019 03:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by j0ker (Post 16273629)
I've recently noticed some rust forming in the outer most channels on both sides. I want to get at it before it spreads but appears to be some type of tar/caulk substance in the channels. What is this? How would I go about removing this to get to the rust forming underneath?

I went through this on my 1999. You have to grind out the old stuff, and put a special body filler in that dries quickly then repaint. I had to order a product called:

3m automix bare-metal beige seam sealer-8310. the seam sealer goes on bare untreated metal then you have to use a puddy nice and water to smooth it out then prep for paint etc. you can't use normal spray can primer. its gotta be non etching or something. I got pictures of it somewhere. its a super common issue with superduties. the two pics I have left were only haflway done grinding the old seam sealer out.

j0ker 04-19-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 (Post 16273639)
I went through this on my 1999. You have to grind out the old stuff, and put a special body filler in that dries quickly then repaint. I had to order a product called:

3m automix bare-metal beige seam sealer-8310. the seam sealer goes on bare untreated metal then you have to use a puddy nice and water to smooth it out then prep for paint etc. you can't use normal spray can primer. its gotta be non etching or something. I got pictures of it somewhere. its a super common issue with superduties. the two pics I have left were only haflway done grinding the old seam sealer out.

exactly my problem. Can I use a heat gun to warm the putty up and work it out with hand tools? What did you use to get it out?

JustinOOO9 04-19-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0ker (Post 16273647)
exactly my problem. Can I use a heat gun to warm the putty up and work it out with hand tools? What did you use to get it out?

Not a chance on melting it out. Its not just a normal culk/rtv stuff. You can talk to local body shops. it has to br ground out with a wire wheel and its a pita but you'll find your groove. I got plastic and tapes off everything but the roof then taped off around the valley where the seam sealer is and went to work. about 1.5hrs for each side.

Than sanded down the roof and primered/painted, The company I ordered the paint from sent the wrong color and they are refusing to work with me so my dads buddy felt so bad hes gonna repaint the roof for free lol. most shops quoted me $1200 because you have to pull off trim and stuff on the inside to "do it right"

please trust me, you cant cut/melt it out. I tried everything before I just listened and got a wire wheel and an air grinder. It went so smooth after that.

Roccafellas 04-19-2019 06:00 PM

rusting roof

Take a 3M Purple Roloc wheel, on any drill/die grinder attachment and just remove the seam sealer, you can reapply with 3M 5887 EZ flexible multi purpose adhesive.
It will work just fine. It has a better flow/goes on nicer than the 3M Bare metal seam sealer and is cheaper. Tape off the lines of where your seam sealer goes, ONCE YOU LAY THE SEAM SEALER PULL THE TAPE IMMEDIATELY.. if you don't pull it off right after you lay it, it will string to tape and ruin it. It won't flow anymore (drip down..this stuff stays in place once you lay it down after a second not dries just stays in place)Use a proper gun with mixing nozzle, let out a inch of glue on a disposable piece of paper (to ensure the material has mixed properly in the mixing tube) use your finger or take a small paintbrush .5" in thickness and cut the bristles in half to make the bristles about 5/16" in length and it will make a nice straight line to make a factory seam sealer job.

Bodyman 310B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d016dd4feb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c7be47dcfa.jpg

Roccafellas 04-19-2019 06:02 PM

rusting roof

Also, apply seam sealer.. after you prime. (If it's not bare metal sealer) Not before. Sand area with 400 (after primer) Apply seam sealer. And then Before you paint scuff seam sealer with red scotchbrite pad. and Spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk