cluster question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-23-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cluster question

Not sure if this is the correct location or not. Done a little searching and havent seen much.

Got another 2009 F250 XLT diesel in over the weekend with 140-k miles on it. some of the dash lights and some of the gauges are not working. Got a couple of prices to repair this BUT I need to use this truck. Can I use a cluster out of another truck until I original cluster back? Or do these need to be programmed to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-23-2019, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Garage
I am fairly certain they need a reprogram to work with the new truck. I remember seeing an article where the pcm stores some info on the cluster and if it doesnt match it wont work. But i could be wrong. You could buy a used one and have ford tune it to your truck and skip the gauge rebuild all together
post #3 of 6 Old 12-26-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomForumGuy View Post
I am fairly certain they need a reprogram to work with the new truck. I remember seeing an article where the pcm stores some info on the cluster and if it doesnt match it wont work. But i could be wrong. You could buy a used one and have ford tune it to your truck and skip the gauge rebuild all together
If I wasn't interested in keeping the miles on this truck I would do that. BUT this truck has good miles and that is why I need to keep this cluster. Just really needed to use this truck to pull a trailer with cause my main truck in in the body shop and the only other truck I have usable right now is 2 half tons....

But Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-26-2019, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Garage
Ford has software that can change the mileage on a cluster...
post #5 of 6 Old 12-26-2019, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasstroker View Post
Not sure if this is the correct location or not. Done a little searching and havent seen much.

Got another 2009 F250 XLT diesel in over the weekend with 140-k miles on it. some of the dash lights and some of the gauges are not working. Got a couple of prices to repair this BUT I need to use this truck. Can I use a cluster out of another truck until I original cluster back? Or do these need to be programmed to work?
I don't know the answer to your question,, but you could give circuit board medics a call and they will be able to tell you. Several guys on here have used them, they come well recommended. I had mine repaired from my 2003, but its not a daily driver so i wasn't in a big hurry for it.

2003 F-350, CC, LB, 285/75/16, Autometer Gages, Fox 2.0's (Thanks to Corey), Sninister Bypass Coolant Filter, 4" Turbo Back,Leece-Neville 230 Amp Alternator, 6.4 litre starter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to partyman97_3 For This Useful Post:
texasstroker (12-27-2019)
post #6 of 6 Old 12-27-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomForumGuy View Post
Ford has software that can change the mileage on a cluster...
That is correct, BUT as soon as they are complete it is entered at cluster change/repair and when it hits carfax or autocheck they mark it at odometer discrepancy! Already ran into this on another truck we fixed for a customer that demanded we use Ford to fix it. We did and now he is not happy because he has a $17-k truck that has a 142-k miles miles but when or if someone ever runs a carfax or autocheck report it shows up as TMU possible odometer discrepancy. I tried to explain this to him before hand and he just didnt get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in