6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Help with Transmission problem!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was driving to work this afternoon and my transmission (automatic) just quit accelerating and the rpms jumped up. I released the gas pedal and punched it again and it simply revved up the rpms. I shifted it into neutral and dropped it back into drive and hit the pedal again, this time it started to accelerate but wouldn’t shift out of whatever gear it was in. (I was doing about 50 mph when this all started). So I put it back in neutral and just stomped on the gas pedal 3 times. The exhaust dumped the most smoke my truck has ever dumped out before (it usually just puffs a little). When I put back into drive after this it drove fine the rest of the way to work but would still dump a lot of smoke if I stepped on the gas, at least for my truck. I have 105000 miles on my truck and the only thing aftermarket is a 4” turbo back exhaust with a muffler, no cat, and an sct tune with the canned performance tune downloaded currently. I haven’t changed all the fluids as I hoped to at 100000 miles due to no money right now. I haven’t done any towing with my truck since I bought it at around 92000 miles…. The owner before me did tow trailers for his oil company but nothing too heavy. Any opinions or ideas on what might have caused this? Should I ensure I get my trans fluid flushed and refilled asap (or just changed even)? -I posted this under the tranny sub forum but thought maybe i'd get a quicker response here.. and another update.. Got off work 2night and hopped in the truck to head home and all my electronics were dead. Had a guy from work give a jump real quick and got the truck started but the spedometer, odometer, and rpms wouldn't display anything. I figured I'd just drive it home anyways and work on it there but not even 1/2 mile down the road the lights started turning themselves off and on. I turned the truck around and left it at work for the night after it died (luckily had it parked already). Going to go try and get it home tomorrow morning so anythoughts on that too?? HELP!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Sounds like your alternator is out!!! I drove an E350 gasser do the same exact thing to me when the alternator died. All electronics and lights when out and the tranny wouldn't shift or accelerate for nothin.

Blake

2013 F-150 CCSB Oxford White FX4 EcoBoost
Loaded with every option...

2008 F-250 CCSB Dark Copper King Ranch 6.4L FX4
4" MBRP Exhaust w/ Muffler (DPF/DOC Delete), Modded Stock Intake, H&S XRT Pro
post #3 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not saying its not transmission related but the transmission can act up when the engine is misfiring - Shooting from the hip... (FICM related) any batteries/charging issues lately, dead batteries, jump starts?

or more likely the EGR is acting up (very common) even with the mildest tune the EGR can act up more often with the added soot than it already does with out it. Could have been the EGR hanging up, then letting go... gut that baby out! Chance it could be innjector related as well, injector hanging open or something.

Hope its a start keep me posted and I will run this thread past my head tech, he is a 6.0 genius!

Dave

Last edited by Dave at BCDiesel.ca; 05-29-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
Sounds like your alternator is out!!! I drove an E350 gasser do the same exact thing to me when the alternator died. All electronics and lights when out and the tranny wouldn't shift or accelerate for nothin.
If it is battery or charging related, do not hesitate on new batteries... weak batteries or a poor charging system is a sure fire FICM (Fuel Injection Control Modules) killer!! $$

Dave
post #5 of 12 Old 05-29-2010, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Thanks.. I'm going to go pick up the batteries in a little bit and have them tested. I just replaced one not too long ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave At BD Power View Post
Not saying its not transmission related but the transmission can act up when the engine is misfiring - Shooting from the hip... (FICM related) any batteries/charging issues lately, dead batteries, jump starts?

or more likely the EGR is acting up (very common) even with the mildest tune the EGR can act up more often with the added soot than it already does with out it. Could have been the EGR hanging up, then letting go... gut that baby out!

Hope its a start keep me posted and I will run this thread past my head tech, he is a 6.0 genius!
Dave
Quote:
If it is battery or charging related, do not hesitate on new batteries... weak batteries or a poor charging system is a sure fire FICM (Fuel Injection Control Modules) killer!! $$

Dave
I've had the passenger battery replaced just a couple months ago.. I didn't replace both though so I'm going to have them both stuck on Auto Zone's charge tester and see what they're reading. I would love to delete the EGR but I'm broke right now living pay check to pay check so thats not an option lol.. maybe just have to put it back to stock tune for now.. Hopefully I can get this resolved with getting new batteries, that'll be enough money for me for right now.. Thanks though and let me know what your tech says please..
post #6 of 12 Old 05-29-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Update - Bought the 2nd new battery and had the battery i bought a couple months ago recharged. The the drivers side battery that was in there was shot so now I have two new batteries that got my truck to Auto Zone. They threw the tester on the alternator and it was shot as well.. I was recieving less than 30 volts out of the 110 I should get. So now $330 later I have brand new alternator and new batteries running this sucker. Hopefully thats all that caused the trans to mess up.. but for now she starts good again.. Getting ready to embark on a journey back home (2 hrs) for the weekend so hoping for the best on this one!
post #7 of 12 Old 05-29-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrow89 View Post
Update - Bought the 2nd new battery and had the battery i bought a couple months ago recharged. The the drivers side battery that was in there was shot so now I have two new batteries that got my truck to Auto Zone. They threw the tester on the alternator and it was shot as well.. I was receiving less than 30 volts out of the 110 I should get. So now $330 later I have brand new alternator and new batteries running this sucker. Hopefully that's all that caused the trans to mess up.. but for now she starts good again.. Getting ready to embark on a journey back home (2 hrs) for the weekend so hoping for the best on this one!
I hope your FICM survived the low voltage... I let my 6.0L guru read your post and he feels it could be transmission. From what you described he said it may have missed a gear then went into limp mode, check the fluid level.

The 5R110 is a adaptive learning transmission and it is sometimes recommended to disconnecting the batteries to reset and do a re-learn, which you may have jsut done, that alone may solve the issue... when going through re-learn drive it normally for a few hundred miles, not too aggressive or not to light either but consistent. For what its worth I recommend servicing the transmission and inspecting the fluid and pan.

keep me posted.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
I hope your FICM survived the low voltage... I let my 6.0L guru read your post and he feels it could be transmission. From what you described he said it may have missed a gear then went into limp mode, check the fluid level.

The 5R110 is a adaptive learning transmission and it is sometimes recommended to disconnecting the batteries to reset and do a re-learn, which you may have jsut done, that alone may solve the issue... when going through re-learn drive it normally for a few hundred miles, not too aggressive or not to light either but consistent. For what its worth I recommend servicing the transmission and inspecting the fluid and pan.

keep me posted.
Not to hijack, but I have not serviced my transmission in about 90k. I have been told by my dealership to not change it, and run it till it quits since I have not changed it in so long. But everyone on here says to change it, and I know a place that will drop the pan and change the fluid.

What would you recommend?

Blake

2013 F-150 CCSB Oxford White FX4 EcoBoost
Loaded with every option...

2008 F-250 CCSB Dark Copper King Ranch 6.4L FX4
4" MBRP Exhaust w/ Muffler (DPF/DOC Delete), Modded Stock Intake, H&S XRT Pro
post #9 of 12 Old 05-29-2010, 07:53 PM

You should never replace just one batt.... Also, low voltage/amps can cause bad shifting among many other things. If you are doing a full flush with filter change, then yes, go ahead.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-29-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Not to hijack, but I have not serviced my transmission in about 90k. I have been told by my dealership to not change it, and run it till it quits since I have not changed it in so long. But everyone on here says to change it, and I know a place that will drop the pan and change the fluid.

What would you recommend?
Change it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode