Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

85% vgt at idle ok?

9K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  05.6blow 
#1 ·
I'm new here because I had recently bought a 05 f350 king ranch and I plugged the obd2 scanner in it and I got a 299 code. I was already upgrading the turbo to a bd diesel screamer stage 1. I was pretty confident that would solve the problem and maybe fix my vgt which was reading 85%. I installed it and it works great but it still idles at 85% and I still get a 299 code. I also have a ebp code aswell not sure if they are related. I have never driven a 6.0 without a 299 code or anything because this is my first one so I dont know and cant tell if its lacking power, it gets up and goes pretty darn quick a lot quicker then I was expecting though so I'm stuck. If anyone can help trouble shooting my codes or explaining if my 85% vgt is okay I would be very grateful

#2 ·
Does it always stay at 85% at idle? Does it stay at that reading with the transmission in “Park “as well as in “Drive” ? As long as you are not at 85% while actually driving I think you are fine.
BTL

#3 ·
My original turbo ran 75% at idle, always
Started getting the P0299 and a drop in boost so i swapped in a new Garrett and now it runs 85% at idle, I'm assuming that Garrett changed something with the VGT solenoid over the years

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
The EBP sensor places an important role in the turbo operation (except in 2003 and early 2004 year models).

What is the EBP code number?

You need to verify that the EBP, MAP, and Baro all read the same at KOEO. That said, most of the time, the Edge doesn't read the EBP value correctly.

If you are interested, download ForScan Lite to a phone and verify the EBP value.

#5 ·
The EBP sensor places an important role in the turbo operation (except in 2003 and ear;ly 2004 year models).

What is the EBP code number?

You need to verify that the EBP, MAP, and Baro all read the same at KOEO. That said, most of the time, the Edge doesn't read the EBP value correctly.

If you are interested, download ForScan Lite to a phone and verify the EBP value.
@bismic is right - my CTS2 reads EBP as PSIA not PSIG, so to get the true reading, you'll have to add 14.7 to your current reading to compare with MAP and BARO (or better yet, get some device/program that reads everything as PSIG). On the other hand, SCT tuners/devices do not read EBP correctly at all - the values aren't even close to the numbers the PCM is giving.

My truck hits 85% VGT when it goes into factory high idle (~2 mins after starting) to help the truck build heat, but starts to back down as my temps increase. Fully warmed up at idle in gear, i'm usually ~62-65%.

-jokester

Reactions: Hydro
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.