• 1 Post By powerlifter405

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starter issues

I drive a 04 f350 6.0 and i have been having starting pains recently. Used to cold start just fine and would have issues getting the starter to crank over after the truck was hot. Im not talking engine wont start or nothing like that, just purely starter acting very weak. 3 days ago i went to start truck and just a click. Went under truck and removed starter. Found signal wire looked like it was crimped on with needlenose pliers. Crimp it. We are up and running. Truck gets harder and harder to start. Eventually the clicking of dead batteries. Change the batteries and im up and rolling. Truck started weird today after work. Kept it idling and tested voltage at alternator at idle and when under a heavy electric load. With all lights on, stereo bumping it drops to 13.1 on both batteries and a constant 13.1 at the alternator. The weird part is when all the lights are off the hood light flickers and corresponds with an engine surge i have thought i was going crazy feeling for a few months and the voltage hops from 13.8 to 14.6 rapidly and to no end. Brand new batteries put in yesterday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
When it is next starting sluggishly, loosen the serpentine belt(s) just to make sure that an idler or the AC isn't seizing.

If it is still sluggish with a loose belt, remove the starter and put it on the bench. Give it 12V. If it doesn't spin properly, dispose of it and install a 6.4 starter. If it does spin properly, dispose of it and install a 6.4 starter.

That's kind of a joke. ...but only kind of.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #3 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Garage
Unplug the control wires from the alternator when the hood light is flickering -- does it steady the light?

I am thinking the alternator regulator is going out or a loose connection on one of the diodes

either way, disconnecting the control wires will stop the alternator from charging, if the light steadies then there is your problem

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will deffinately have to try that. In response to the 6.4 starter, I have always envied the the quick pace of the newer diesel starters. I have heard a small bit of people puting newer starters on their 6.0s. I deffinately will install a 6.4 or some XDP variant of the 6.0 starter at some point. Itd be nice if it was a diode or so on but this truck sat for months at a time before i bought it 8 months ago so i was deffinately expecting problem with my charging system
post #5 of 9 Old 12-15-2019, 01:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check your A/C compressor see if it is seized up it will act like bad starter and or low batteries you can pull the belt off and it should crank over normally
post #6 of 9 Old 12-17-2019, 04:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Fluctuations could also be bad wiring. Use a set of booster cables from alternator positive to battery, and also from alternator case to battery ground

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 F350 srw Crewcab lariat. 6.0 diesel
post #7 of 9 Old 12-17-2019, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The OP hasn't reported out here, yet. But, he did send me a PM saying that he swapped out the starter (with a 6.4) and it solved the issue. ...and quote "put a smile on his face."

Those 6.4 starters... It was probably 2 years before I stopped thinking "Dang, that's fast" every time I started up. Maybe three.
jokester00 and Hydro like this.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #8 of 9 Old 12-19-2019, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
As far as the light flickering and the voltage 13.8 to 14.6, It could be the alternator. MY buddy has a shop and has seen this many times on 6.0's 6.4's and it has been the aftermarket alternators causing it.. He put 4 alternators on one truck and ended up putting a Ford alternator on it to solve the problem... I have the same issue with my '04, that why I asked him about it and that's what he told me... Mine charges and works fine, I'm just gonna live with it... Seems like a weird deal to me...

Dan
post #9 of 9 Old 12-24-2019, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
The OP hasn't reported out here, yet. But, he did send me a PM saying that he swapped out the starter (with a 6.4) and it solved the issue. ...and quote "put a smile on his face."

Those 6.4 starters... It was probably 2 years before I stopped thinking "Dang, that's fast" every time I started up. Maybe three.
I swapped in a 6.7 and have no regrets, best simple mod. Cheap off ebay, 2018 truck w/ only 40k miles less than 75 bucks. Definitely a must do IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobydog007 View Post
As far as the light flickering and the voltage 13.8 to 14.6, It could be the alternator. MY buddy has a shop and has seen this many times on 6.0's 6.4's and it has been the aftermarket alternators causing it.. He put 4 alternators on one truck and ended up putting a Ford alternator on it to solve the problem... I have the same issue with my '04, that why I asked him about it and that's what he told me... Mine charges and works fine, I'm just gonna live with it... Seems like a weird deal to me...
Dan
The factory specs dictate that the light will turn on after the voltage exceeds 14-and change. I want to say I saw it at 14.4 on my 6.0. It is just the factory parameters designed by ford that set the light on. If you look at newer vehicles they will be in the 14's all the time. My 08 Sub runs around 14.4 and I had a 2015 durango and it was 14.5v all the time. The higher voltage should extend the life of your ficm and potentially your batteries I'd venture.
Tobydog007 likes this.

"New" 05, 100% all factory, all options Lariat w/ now 311k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KC 1.5 w/ + quicktricks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode