Engine bay whistle at high boost - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 Old 01-03-2020, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
After more research I came across a guy who was experiencing a whistling/screeching noise from his degas cap being bad. I recently replaced my Degas cap, I suppose it would be possible the new one has failed already but unlikely... I am going to put the old cap back on to see if the noise goes away just to make sure it isn't something that simple. The old cap wasn't bad just old so I replaced it.
Hydro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 01-03-2020, 05:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
If the whistle IS coming from the degas bottle cap, then you may very well have issues with head gasket leaks.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 31 Old 01-03-2020, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
If the whistle IS coming from the degas bottle cap, then you may very well have issues with head gasket leaks.
I have already had my coolant system checked to make sure it isn't building pressure from exhaust gasses. I suppose it probably isn't the problem because it does it whether its warmed up or not. Im not losing coolant and Im not getting bubbling in the degas bottle at all. My first move will be to replace that turbo boot with an elbowed one to see if it just isn't sealing enough. Im going to replace the belt tensioner and belt while im at it and maybe scuff the water pump pulley to make sure that isnt slipping. The truck runs perfect and builds boost no problem it just has this annoying small whistle/screech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 Old 01-03-2020, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Garage
You can do-it-yourself an air test rig from the hardware store
test the intake and exhaust for leaks

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #15 of 31 Old 01-06-2020, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
You can do-it-yourself an air test rig from the hardware store
test the intake and exhaust for leaks
I have seen this on youtube. Seems pretty straight forward. If replacing the boot on the turbo doesn't fix the noise I will try that!
post #16 of 31 Old 01-07-2020, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Ok bad news bears. I pulled off the turbo inlet to check the size of the boot so I could do a pressure check and my compressor blades are pretty chewed up and I have a good amount of lateral play. I think its pretty safe to say my turbo is kaput. Things I learned, don't trust Remans and cold air intakes aren't all that great. Luckily for me the guy I bought the truck from offered to put the new turbo in for me if I buy the turbo. He said he can get pretty good prices from suppliers for both remans and new.
BTL likes this.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-09-2020, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Brand new stock replacement turbo ordered. Has updated compressor housing and unison ring. Only $750 setback. Surprisingly cheaper than I thought it was going to be. Watch out for screeching noises guys it could be way worse than you think. I'm just glad I caught mine before I broke the compressor and the engine inhaled it.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-09-2020, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Garage
Did you figure why the compressor vanes were damaged?
contacting the housing, or something from the replacement air filter?
really the stock air setup works pretty well

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #19 of 31 Old 01-09-2020, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Did you figure why the compressor vanes were damaged?
contacting the housing, or something from the replacement air filter?
really the stock air setup works pretty well
I suspect either the compressor wheel was not changed when the turbo was rebuilt by the reman company or at some point in the life of the turbo one of the intake connections were loose enough to allow particulates in. I did some research into the S&B cold air intakes and they seem to have no complaints about letting particulates past into the compressor. I wouldn't think that passing of particulates would allow the turbo bearing to fail though. I think the problems are unrelated. The vanes were definitely damaged but I do not think that issue was related to the overall failure of the turbo. I'm just lucky that the bearing failed and I caught it before the compressor got any worse or broke a fin and the engine inhaled anything. I will be trailering it to the shop to get the turbo replaced. No way I'm driving it in its current state.
post #20 of 31 Old 01-13-2020, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Well ****. Another update. My turbo was definitely bad and is now replaced. However THE NOISE IS STILL THERE. It seems like it is the up-pipe connection to the turbo that is making the actual noise. I think that V Band clamp has worn out and isn't holding the connection tight enough anymore. I am going to try to replace that clamp and see if that stops the noise. If it doesn't I may then have to pull the turbo again to replace the y-pipe if the bellows has a leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode