Premium Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WIF light caused by Edge CTS monitor

Hey guys,

Posting for a friend (no...really )

My buddy just hooked up a new to him Edge Insight CTS (thanks again @TwinExcursions ) to monitor his 2004 F350, and now he has a WIF light. Driving with the unit plugged in and monitoring screen up - light comes on. Change screens to another screen other than the monitoring screen and/or unplug the unit totally - light goes off. After he texted me, I told him I do remember seeing this issue on here and other forums before, and when I have seen it talked about, the trucks were 03-04's. So, when I got home, I started searching and found this thread from 2018:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...sight-cts.html

What say ye? Has anyone found a fix for this? Sounds like Edge just has you update the S/W and then they wash their hands of it when it doesn't work.

@freeranchkid
@Tobydog007
@CelticWind

Thanks in advance!

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-30-2019, 10:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Garage
@jokester00

Holy crap - sorry to hear this unit causing trouble like this for your buddy. Was installed in a late model 2004 Ex without this issue. Also that Ex now has a CTS2 without that issue. I would recommend your buddy keeps on working with tech support @edge to find a resolution. When I purchased new CTS2 for my Ex (old one LCD touch failed-Edge replaced no charge and now in wife's Ex) when I recieved the new one it would not allow me to enter enough PID's to fill stock screens. After a few emails/updates from Edge tech support works 100%. I found their support to be really good - not super fast but solid. Also the fact they repaired 3 year old CTS2 no charge unbelievable.

Once again sorry to hear your buddy getting this grief - was looking forward to hearing he was happy with the function of the unit.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
jokester00 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Eddie Bauer, Studded/EGR delete, Kill Devil O-ring heads, Owdags intake manifold, BD Diesel exhaust manifold, 58v FICM, SCT with Gearheads tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S&B stage 2 cold air, Edge Insight CTS2 c/w EGT sensor, fuel pressure sensor, BD Diesel 7.3 fan clutch, Warn Hubs, Eaton diffs front/rear, Buckstop bumper c/w 16.5 Warn Winch
post #3 of 13 Old 11-30-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinExcursions View Post
@jokester00

Holy crap - sorry to hear this unit causing trouble like this for your buddy. Was installed in a late model 2004 Ex without this issue. Also that Ex now has a CTS2 without that issue. I would recommend your buddy keeps on working with tech support @edge to find a resolution. When I purchased new CTS2 for my Ex (old one LCD touch failed-Edge replaced no charge and now in wife's Ex) when I recieved the new one it would not allow me to enter enough PID's to fill stock screens. After a few emails/updates from Edge tech support works 100%. I found their support to be really good - not super fast but solid. Also the fact they repaired 3 year old CTS2 no charge unbelievable.

Once again sorry to hear your buddy getting this grief - was looking forward to hearing he was happy with the function of the unit.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
No worries - not your fault at all. Luck of the draw, I guess I'll have him get ahold of Edge Customer support and see if they can do anything.

-jokester

Edge EAS EGT probe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 04:24 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
My issue with my Edge was it was not activating by touching the screen and would not turn on until the engine was running. I loaded new firmware off the Edge website and it fixed the issue, Perhaps that will work. The only thing to be cautious of, is if it is a programmer and not just a monitor, you may lose some emissions defeating programs. I donít even know if Edge offers emission things in there programmer.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #5 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSki View Post
My issue with my Edge was it was not activating by touching the screen and would not turn on until the engine was running. I loaded new firmware off the Edge website and it fixed the issue, Perhaps that will work. The only thing to be cautious of, is if it is a programmer and not just a monitor, you may lose some emissions defeating programs. I don’t even know if Edge offers emission things in there programmer.
This is just a monitor - no programming functions.

Bump back to the top!

-jokester

Edge EAS EGT probe
post #6 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Hello all, I was the one that had the issue in that other thread about this problem. I pretty much gave up on trying to fix the light problem, but It all started when I loaded the BullyDog tune in the truck. I drove it like that for a year or so, and then I had some work done on the truck and my mechanic did a FICM tune and installed his own " Home brew " tune and the light went off and stayed off. Since then I have overwritten his tune with the SCT X4 tunes and the light remains off.... All that being said, I do not believe this is a Edge issue. I think ( In my case ) it was the BullyDog tune Installed that caused the problem. I don't know what tune, if any you are running, but I would be suspicious of that aspect of it. Good luck and let us know how you end up.

Cheers,
Dan
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tobydog007 For This Useful Post:
jokester00 (12-01-2019), TwinExcursions (12-01-2019)
post #7 of 13 Old 12-06-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Just an update on this:

He spoke with Edge tech and they sent him a new software download for the CTS. As hopeful as we were, it didn't fix the issue. He is currently running an HS Mini Max tuner set on the lowest setting just for a little more umphhh. Thinking about what @Tobydog007 said above, I had him return the truck to stock. Well, wouldn't you know it - no WIF light anymore!! It has to be the tune he was running, and I wonder if it's built on a similar platform as the BullyDog to cause that issue?

Anywho, looks like another piece of the puzzle is in place and it fit!! So, if you're reading this thread and you have this issue, return it to stock and see if the WIF light goes away (seems to be more common to 03-04 years).

Thanks to all for your help. Now, to get him an SCT tuner

-jokester
TwinExcursions and Tobydog007 like this.

Edge EAS EGT probe
post #8 of 13 Old 12-07-2019, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Jokester,

I'm glad you posted this !!! It's nice to have conformation of a "theory " that turns out to be right... I agree that it seems to affect '03, '04 most. Whats odd is I spoke to my mechanic about this just a couple of days ago and he didn't really buy into my " theory " because he said that the WIF light runs through the Body Control Module, not the PCM and Tunes should not affect this... Maybe someone in the know here could chime in and confirm on deny that claim... Either way, The light is out, and life is good !!! LOL

Cheers,
Dan
jokester00 likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-07-2019, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Garage
The WIF sensor connects directly to the PCM -- C1-p15 (2003 wiring diagram)
Same on the 2004
Tobydog007 likes this.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-07-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
The WIF sensor connects directly to the PCM -- C1-p15 (2003 wiring diagram)
Same on the 2004
What about the 05-07? Is it different in those years? Wonder if it has anything to do with the elimination of the fuel heater on the HFCM and the new pigtail wiring?

-jokester
Tobydog007 likes this.

Edge EAS EGT probe

Last edited by jokester00; 12-07-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in