Coolant loss, no smoke/vapor, no performance issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant loss, no smoke/vapor, no performance issues

About the truck: new-to-me 2007 6.0 F350 with 180k miles that was bulletproofed (studs, head gaskets, EGR cooler, oil cooler, injectors) about 30k miles back (I have full service records from the previous owner).
Performance is lovely, cranks easily, no power loss, and runs very smoothly with no smoke/vapor, but I drove it about 3 hours yesterday and lost the entire degas bottle worth of coolant. I do not see any white residue on the bottle or cap, or anywhere immediately visible, even under the truck (without taking anything apart yet). However, I did notice a little bit of black liquid slowly dripping out of the exhaust at startup (watery, sooty) that stopped after about 3 min of warming up. It didn't have a strong smell, but I'm wondering if this may be related.
Anyway, I know the EGR coolers are notorious on these things, but according to the service records the one that's currently on it is from BulletProof, so I'm not certain that it's that. I'm also not convinced it's a head gasket issue either, because they are relatively new OEM gaskets with ARP studs, and anyway, I'm pretty sure if it were that and I lost THAT much coolant in just a few hours, it would have an effect on performance, or I'd see white smoke coming out of the tailpipe.
Before I tear into this, I want to hear from people who may have more experience with an issue like this. If it is a leak, what locations are the "usual suspects?" Again, I really am not convinced that it's a head gasket/EGR cooler, but what's a good way to rule those out just to be on the safe side?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 11:52 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Fairly common if not headwork was done even oem gaskets and arp studs allow burning coolant. I never had the telltale signs of white smoke when two of my three 6.0ls had bad headgaskets. Get your coolant system pressure checked by an electronic tester. Don't want to sound rude but sounds like headgaskets 99.9% of the time based on your provided information.

Many get unreadable results with manual gauges (was my case too) had a professional re-do work that was supposedly done and no more coolant loss plain and simple...

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Old 11-19-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the reply. The service records on this truck indicate that the heads were worked on when it was being bulletproofed. To be fair though, I don't have any personal experience with the shop that did the work (Ford dealership in Plano, TX). When yours blew, did you lose coolant at a fast rate? That's the part that's puzzling me a bit- lots of coolant gone in a short amount of time with absolutely no other symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in