21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 11-11-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hpop?

I have an 04 6.0 with late style oil rails and early style pump. I was driving it a week ago and it just died throwing a p2290 code. It will crank for about 30 seconds and dies. Will not throttle up. Ipr is 450-500 icp is .24v ficm is 47.5-48v. I have just replaced the icp and ipr 2 days ago. I air leak tested it yesterday and at first heard a leak but couldn’t figure out exactly where it was coming from. I do have the valve cover off. I unhooked the hose and hooked it back up for over an hour and never heard anything. Could the hpop be very weak? I put headstuds and gaskets with and egr delete less than 5000 mile ago and have had no trouble till now. The oil guage on dash shows normal oil pressure within seconds of cranking. Please give me some help I’m about to pull my hair out. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 11-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Remove the oil filter cap and filter and then repeat the air test.

A bad HPOP will frequently have air leakage detectable at the oil filter housing (or turbo oil drain tube).
john galt and jokester00 like this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bismic; 11-11-2019 at 02:43 PM.
post #3 of 52 Old 11-11-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok. Just as soon as I get back to the shop I’ll do that. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 11-11-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There is no air that I can see or hear coming out of the filter housing.
post #5 of 52 Old 11-11-2019, 07:51 PM

Have you listened from the oil fill tube and the ccv opening? Sometimes you need to listen w/ a hose, or better yet an automotive stethoscope.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 52 Old 11-12-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes sir I have. I did that and then pulled the valve covers off hoping I could hear something better. Only air I could hear was very faint for just a few seconds and it quit. Best I could tell maybe was coming from the pump area. I tried the air test again last night for about 30 minutes and couldn’t hear anything.
post #7 of 52 Old 11-12-2019, 05:59 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,070 Times in 999 Posts
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you doing the air test through the ICP or the IPR port?
What brand ICP sensor and IPR valve?
What does the pigtail to the ICP look like? Oily? Frayed?
Was the screen intact when you pulled the IPR?
Have you tried cranking with the ICP unplugged?
The early pumps are more prone to failure. How many miles on it?
Since you have been in the engine recently, a nicked injector or standpipe o-ring is also a valid culprit.

Just thoughts. @bismic is a lot better at internet diagnosis than I am.
bismic, zsargent and jokester00 like this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #8 of 52 Old 11-12-2019, 06:01 AM

It is always easier to find leaks by doing the leak test w/ a hot engine, but clearly that isn't always possible.

If you are getting around 450 psig ICP pressure when cranking, then the ICP voltage should be around 0.7 volts.

Clearly you have something else going on to cause it to die while driving, but did you install an OEM ICP sensor?
When you replaced the ICP sensor, did you closely inspect the wiring to the connector?

Edit - nice post G8orFord! Better (and more timely) than mine!
john galt likes this.

Mark
No-start thread:

post #9 of 52 Old 11-12-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

At first I air tested through the icp. Now I’m going through the ipr. Everything I’ve installed I’ve went with motor craft. The truck has 157000 miles and I did the head gaskets at 152000. It has never given me any problems till it just died. I’m using Rotella t6 with archoil. The pigtail looks good. I have not tried to crank with the icp or ipr unplugged. The screen on the original ipr had a little trash on it but very little. Inside looked good. I put 12 volts to it and clicked very faintly. I have not tried that with the new one. I replaced the standpipes and dummy plugs when I put it back together. This is going to drive me nuts. Thanks very much for all the help.

Last edited by WylieTx107; 11-12-2019 at 09:27 AM.
post #10 of 52 Old 11-12-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK maybe I found something. I had my wife crank over while i watched the oil filter housing. Plenty of oil pressure. So then rehooked air back to the ipr and immediately could hear gurgling out of oil filter housing. So what I’m thinking thanks to bismic is high pressure oil pump is bad. Please tell me that’s the problem. Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode