6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-10-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Excessive Boost Question

So I just got back from a camping trip towing my toyhauler and experienced a new/strange excessive boost issue.

Towing my 10k toyhauler today it ran great for the first 40 miles. At around 40 miles I stopped to help a friend with a blown trailer tire and let the engine idle for roughly 30 minutes. After taking back off again it ran good for about 20 minutes until while pulling a grade I blew the boot at the turbo off. After stopping and putting it back on and tightening everything down I experienced an excessive boost issue where at 1/4 throttle the VGT command was 55% and I was making 24 lbs of boost. If I tried to go over 30-40% throttle it would peg the boost gauge at 28 psi and likely over that, and the VGT command was still 55%.

The whole ride home I had to baby the throttle and the VGT % would stay at 55% and I would make 24 psi of boost at 2,100 RPM. Anymore throttle and the VGT command stayed at 55% but the boost would approach 28 psi and blow the boot off. At stoplights the VGT command would go to 75%.

I finally got home, but any hill would result in me doing about 10 mph and accelerating was a bear.

I cleaned the turbo about 2,000 miles ago when I did the HPOP, IPR, and ICP sensors. Does this sound like a stuck turbo condition or potentially a bad turbo solenoid valve?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-10-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to add this is a 2003 that is bone stock. It has the flash that removed the EBP sensor and went to the inferred calculation. No CEL were thrown either.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-10-2019, 08:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Donít think anything is wrong with your turbo. I suspect the boot that blew off needs to be cleaned, secured with hairspray, or replaced. Blown boots are quite common. The boot should stay secure as much as a stock turbo will put out, 31 PSI or so.😣

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-10-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Excessive Boost Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSki View Post
Donít think anything is wrong with your turbo. I suspect the boot that blew off needs to be cleaned, secured with hairspray, or replaced. Blown boots are quite common. The boot should stay secure as much as a stock turbo will put out, 31 PSI or so.

I agree with the suggestion to clean the boot they were definitely oily. My concern is that it has never made that kind of boost at such light throttle, and that fact that it never moved from the 55% command was odd. I had not power as well at times even though I had 25 lbs of boost. I could barely get the trailer over 20 on flat ground at one point. At 40-50% throttle it was definitely getting over 31 psi, it had the boost gauge pegged (on my edge which only goes to 28 psi).

This starting happening on the way home, so it had already towed the trailer 100 miles to the campsite. It was on the way home where it started acting up and had no power.

Last edited by nubrun; 11-10-2019 at 08:19 PM.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-11-2019, 04:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Do you have anything to pull codes with. Something thorough, like ForScan Lite on a smartphone, is recommended?

Do you still have a functional EGR system?

Any black smoke w/ the issue?

What are your MAP and Baro readings at KOEO?
Patriot likes this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

post #6 of 22 Old 11-11-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Do you have anything to pull codes with. Something thorough, like ForScan Lite on a smartphone, is recommended?

Do you still have a functional EGR system?

Any black smoke w/ the issue?

What are your MAP and Baro readings at KOEO?

I only have insight for now, but will have the obd module to run forscan today. I did look at the codes I could see and only saw P132b which doesnít help much.

Yes, the EGR system is still functional.

No black smoke at all.

MAP is 13 and Baro was 13.8 KOEO.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-11-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

I looked for the codes with ForScan and the only code was p132b.
post #8 of 22 Old 11-11-2019, 07:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
P132B is a code related to the calibration from the recall 06E17 (part of the Inferred EBP strategy). It means that there is a problem with the VGT system. P132B is a fault code that is set if the required boost levels are not achieved during a learn cycle or at specific speed fuel demand points.

This code indicates that there are issues with the turbocharger, MAF sensor, MAP sensor/hose, IAT2 sensor, intake leaks, or exhaust leaks, etc. Frequently it is a sticking turbo issue. This code can also throw a P0401 EGR code. (see video below at 1:55)

On vehicles built before Sept 29, 2003 (PCM ignores EBP sensor input and infers the value from the MAP and MAF sensors). On these vehicles, the MAF is used for fuel correction. The PCM will learn MAP and MAF and then learn the VGT action by cycling the VGT duty cycle in steps from 85% to 0%, and then back up, again in steps. It will learn the MAP and MAF action during this process. It takes 6 cycles to learn the VGT. P132b will be set if the PCM determines that there is something wrong with what it learned for MAP and MAF as it relates to VGT duty cycle.

edit - sorry the video link is no longer valid. I will try to see if I can find another link.

P132b is a tough nut to crack sometimes!

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

post #9 of 22 Old 11-11-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bismic. The video link isnít working, any chance you could try it again. It sounds like cleaning the EGR, MAF, and the IAT and pressure sensors will be a good start. I havenít cleaned the EGR in at least a couple of years, it might ease an intermittent rough idle as well.

I have had the p132b code a couple of times in the past and itís always cleared itself up. If Iím bored I may split the turbo and clean it while Iím at it. I know VGT solenoid valves rarely fail, but could a weak/lazy solenoid cause issues?
post #10 of 22 Old 11-11-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post

edit - sorry the video link is no longer valid. I will try to see if I can find another link.

!

Haha-beat me to it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode