1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 10-14-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powerstroke loss of power fixed!

First off it’s an 03 6.0 powerstroke. For anyone having similar issues as what I’m describing hope this helps. Start by replacing your degas bottle cap with a factory motorcraft cap not Ebay junk. OEM cap is only $9 whether at the dealer or Amazon.
So for the past couple months I’ve been throwing parts at my truck trying to diagnose my issue. I was having loss of power while going up inclines, whether I’m pulling a trailer or empty, and also erratic or surging idle. I changed the mass airflow sensor and pigtail, that took care of some of the issue, changed the icp sensor and pigtail, new ipr valve, ebp sensor, changed the coolant cap because the old cap was cheap aftermarket garbage and was failed. I don’t have a tuner, but got ahold of a snap on scanner, all the codes I had I fixed the issues, and cleared the codes. Turns out it was my degas bottle causing the issue. It had a tiny pinhole in the top causing the system to not remain pressurized. Not being pressurized caused the truck to lower the boiling point of the coolant, and putting itself in limp mode. I hope this helps someone else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-14-2019, 03:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Glad you got it resolved. You sure should consider getting a scan tool to watch engine parameters when driving! I am constantly watching coolant and oil temps!
Hydro likes this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bismic; 10-14-2019 at 03:51 PM.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-14-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bismic I definitely plan on that in the near future. I did go out and get a set of gauges. I got a pyrometer, boost gauge, and fuel pressure. I bought the truck bone stock, never been tuned according to the small dealer I bought it from. It’s been a learning experience that’s for sure. I figure by the time I get rid of the truck I’ll be a diesel mechanic 😂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 10-14-2019, 04:09 PM

Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
Quoted: 3912 Post(s)
confused
Boiling coolant / degas pressure do not set codes

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-14-2019, 04:15 PM

I assumed he lost level in the system and/or had boiling inside of the engine that prevented good flow and heat transfer. Again an assumption, but I figured he got an excessive oil temperature or an excessive differential wrench light, then limp mode.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

post #6 of 21 Old 10-14-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ZMANN I had other issues with the truck as well. The codes I was getting was for the other issues and parts I replaced.

Bismic never had a light pop on the dash which is weird. It just lost power and would barely go up a hill. I’m talking pedal to the floor 3,500 rpms and top speed of 40mph. Let off the pedal and truck cools down a little and it’s back to running like normal.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-14-2019, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0360powerstroke View Post
Bismic I definitely plan on that in the near future. I did go out and get a set of gauges. I got a pyrometer, boost gauge, and fuel pressure. I bought the truck bone stock, never been tuned according to the small dealer I bought it from. Itís been a learning experience thatís for sure. I figure by the time I get rid of the truck Iíll be a diesel mechanic 😂
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX or the BAFX adapter for your monitor

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 mounted on the cup holder drawer
the OBDLink MX is Bluetooth and wifi -- also auto shut off -- I think BAFX offers one similar

Don't bother with the knock off adapters -- it is a roll of the dice on those

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-14-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0360powerstroke View Post
Bismic never had a light pop on the dash which is weird. It just lost power and would barely go up a hill. I’m talking pedal to the floor 3,500 rpms and top speed of 40mph. Let off the pedal and truck cools down a little and it’s back to running like normal.
Forgot it was an 03 - no wrench light, only on 05 and up IIRC. No limp mode on high differential either - will happen on high coolant and high oil temp

Mark
No-start thread:

post #9 of 21 Old 10-17-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
in my ī05 I had 16psi and more coolant pressure before EGR delete. Now its climbing up to 3-4psi until it is at operating temp.
Then the pressure disappears very slowly within ~ 1 hour to almost zero psi
post #10 of 21 Old Today, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so I lied. Truck is not fixed. It ran great for 2 days, and went back to having issues. Icp sensor and pigtail are new as well as the ipr valve, new degas bottle and cap. I lose power going up hill with my 16 foot landscape trailer. Saturday the truck actually stalled. Pedal to the floor from a stop and I could barely hit 5mph shut the truck off for 5 minutes and it’s completely fine. I do not have a scan gauge yet, the picture I posted is of a friends snap on scanner a week previous to changing the IPR out. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38BB4FD9-8AE3-47CA-A75E-D236D9C61880_1571672424064.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	724279  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in