6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-20-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck died

First time posting here in the 6.0 as I have a 7.3, but a friend is having trouble and I told him I’d try to help.

Guy I work with was driving into work and literally had a half mile left to go and his truck just died on him. It wouldn’t start back up, not even a click of the starter. We used the dead crank wire to the starter and the engine turns over just fine. Tried two different code readers and both were unable to communicate with the PCM at all. Also, his mileage (total and trip) only shows dashes. He thinks the PCM died. I really just don’t know.

We weren’t able to do much testing and won’t for the next few weeks as he just deployed for a short time but I’d like to have some info to give him when he returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
A PCM issue is not likely.

Check fuse F2.22 (under the dash). Also check the fan clutch wires. If nothing is obvious with the wiring, try cranking w/ the fan clutch disconnected.

Lastly, it may be an issue w/ one of the multiple sensors that are tied into the v-reference circuit. The EBP sensor is one of the more common ones to have issues, but there are numerous possibilities. If the first suggestions (the fuse and the fan clutch) don't reveal anything, then have your friend attempt to crank while you wiggle the engine harness around.

Another possibility is the transmission range sensor. See if it will crank in neutral or when the gear shift lever is moved slightly.

Last edited by bismic; 09-20-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-20-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This is what he said:

Thanks man. I did some more trouble shooting because we had some jet issues. The fuse at the 22 spot (ECM) blows the fuse every time you put a new one in and try to start. I have a box of em, and it went through 3 fuses with 3 start attempts.

He then said his wiring harness does look rough but he thinks his ECM is fried.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-20-2019, 11:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Well, best of luck. IMO most of the time it is wiring (the fan clutch and EBP sensor are the two most common sources of the problem) and it is very uncommon for it to be the ECM (PCM), but it is only money to just change it out since it is a possibility. It would be good to hear what troubleshooting was done to lead him to that conclusion ....

Last edited by bismic; 09-20-2019 at 11:09 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-20-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks. I’ll let him know. He probably hasn’t looked at the price of one yet. I would venture its a shorted wire somewhere but I’ll let y’all know what becomes of it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode