Diesel smell in cab-even when not running??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-17-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel smell in cab-even when not running???

Not sure what's going on, however, I have a strong diesel/grease/chemical smell in the cab even when the truck is just sitting. When driving, the AC doesn't really blow that cold anymore, it goes from cool damp air to cold air for a few seconds, back to cool damp air, and it never really takes the humidity out. Yet, the AC sometimes blows the smell of fumes in with it. Sometimes, it's pretty strong when you throw open the door and the cab smells like a dirty garage and diesel fumes.

Maybe the air box is leaking in the air from the engine compartment? Any idea's what this could be would be very helpful; I'm no mechanic but really need this issue fixed. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-17-2019, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Not long after I bought my rig (from original owner, bone-stock and dealer serviced) I began to get the diesel smell in the cab. My dad said his 6.0 had the same problem. His mechanic did the blue spring upgrade and the smell went away.

I thought he was nuts, but since the blue spring is cheap, easy and highly recommended I figured I had nothing to lose except the diesel smell.

Sure enough it worked... Maybe the gasket over the spring housing was seeping or something, I don't know - but it's worth a shot!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

140k+
Blue Spring
SCT Livewire w/ EGT (Stock Tune)
Otherwise Bone Stock
FX4 Option
Tow Package
Daily Driver
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skifter22 For This Useful Post:
TommyW (09-18-2019)
post #3 of 5 Old 09-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Garage
Only takes a small diesel fuel leak to make a lot of smell -- you need to look over the truck with your eyes and nose to find the source

If the smell is diesel smoke, then look for the black soot from the leak

The heater/AC air intake is in the vent just in front of the windshield, so any fumes coming up from the engine compartment will be sucked in there

As far as the 'no cool' situation, that is anyone's guess on here -- need a hands on to access the problem

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hydro For This Useful Post:
TommyW (09-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-18-2019, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll take a look into the blue spring upgrade and see what that does. Appreciate the heads up on that.
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
skifter22 (09-18-2019)
post #5 of 5 Old 09-18-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Only takes a small diesel fuel leak to make a lot of smell -- you need to look over the truck with your eyes and nose to find the source

If the smell is diesel smoke, then look for the black soot from the leak

The heater/AC air intake is in the vent just in front of the windshield, so any fumes coming up from the engine compartment will be sucked in there

As far as the 'no cool' situation, that is anyone's guess on here -- need a hands on to access the problem
I put my eyes on it a few days ago, right after my mechanic finished doing some work on it and I couldn't find anything. I'm going to check it again later today and see if I can't find the source. It's a pretty nasty smell and once it starts coming in through the AC vents, it gets downright obnoxious; especially in the hot SW Florida sun! Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode