Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2003 6.0 No start, ignition issue

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CSDRacing 
#1 ·
So recently my truck did not want to start. Basically when you turn the key and crank the truck the starter solenoid rapidly engages and disengages and will not start the truck. My batteries are fairly new, i even tried jumping it and still had the same problem. I checked all my battery cables and they were good, clean and tight. I checked all my grounds including body and frame grounds and they were good, even replaced the starter and i still had the same issue. Replaced the ignition relay with a known good one and no luck. I than decided to jump start the truck with that jumper wire on the passenger side by the battery and the truck fired right up with no problems... As a diesel mechanic i can honestly say that i have no clue as to what the hell is going on. I'm thinking a possible bad ignition or perhaps a switch somewhere? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? popping the hood and jumping the truck with that little wire is getting pretty old. Thanks.

#2 ·
Was just with my mechanic the other day and he had a truck doing virtually the same thing. Found the issue in the steering column, something to do with the ignition switch and wiring. He fixed that and I was standing there when the truck fired right up. Not sure if that's your issue but I thought I'd put it out there since this was two days ago. Best of luck!

#4 ·
Low voltage for sure -- you can rule out starter and cables, since the jumper will spin the starter

The start relay in the fuse box is chattering also? -- jumping this relay will start the truck reliably?

#5 ·
I'll see about jumping the relay. Sorry about the late response, just got internet back, moved a week ago and pulled the motor out of the truck on sunday to finally stud and replace head gaskets and other goodies. I did however swap out the ignition switch under the steering column on saturday and the truck fired right up. Shut her off and tried again and no luck. Switch didn't work. As soon as the truck is back together i'll reinspect those relays and i'll jump that starter relay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.