• 2 Post By bismic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-05-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
someone keep me from pushing my 6.0 off a cliff

k so here goes...2004 6.0, had a hot side intercooler blow off. figured it was due to the oil in the pipe, found out that was normal. so i changed boots and clamps on my hot side. didnt fix the problem. changed the MAP sensor and the hose, still same thing. used ford boots and clamps the first time (mistake) so i replaced them with mishimoto clamps and hoses. still same thing. got a tip that the butterfly valve on the intake sometimes will not operate properly and this could lead to pressure buildup. removed that, changed the original ford cac pipe to metal with new hoses and clamps, everything torqued down properly. ran it this last time, and it felt like i only got about halfway into the powerband, and that was all i was going to get, watching boost gauge, 19psi. then the hot pipe blew off again. any ideas on what im missing? is it possible that the manifold is that coked up and not running air thru? id appreciate any help anyone can give, bout at wits end with this damn thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-05-2019, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Garage
Wouldn't hurt to stick on of those snake cams in the intake and take a look

Use denatured alcohol to clean the inside of the hose and outside of the turbo fitting -- then use VO5 hair spray to give some stickum to the hose joint -- be sure the clamp is square to the hose and just behind the "bump" on the fitting

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-05-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

um not good at this posting thing, tried, dont know if the response ever went thru, apparently this site thinks im a robot. anyway, tried hairspray trick, clamps are square to the pipe and behind the lip on the pipe. the last time i ran it it felt like it was starving for air going uphill, ever hear of an intercooler getting gummed up? really just trying to figure out which part to take off next
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-05-2019, 05:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
As far as manifold getting coked up, with an EGR it will leave carbon deposits, whether it interferes like you think I don't know. A manifold is time consuming to get to. I like the idea of snake cam down the intercooler. You could always remove it. Doesn't look terrible to remove if you really wanted to take a look:

IMO, the boots blowing off are a problem with the boots. I feel the other stuff you're thinking would make higher pressure than 19 PSI. If you used an old fashioned hairspray like V05 or Aqua Net extra hold, let it dry overnight, after changing clamps and boots, then I can only recommend calling whoever you got the boots from for options. I have a couple of metal O-RIngs that I could add that would prevent my pipes from slipping off if it happens again. They go between the boot and the pipe.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-05-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ive changed the boots twice already aquanet both times, new clamps both times. from the way the engine sounds, im thinking somethings backed up. hell im no expert, but every time i get up over 15psi, the sound of the motor changes, like its struggling to breathe. what i was thinking is that the MAP sensor is getting incorrect info causing the turbo to work overtime to try to dump more air into the motor. just dont know what the cause is. figured someone would have had that problem. i hear you about the boots, but ive tried two different types, and although im inexperienced in diesels, i am familiar with turning wrenches. pretty sure ive ruled those out. just wasnt sure which direction to go. feel like it would be hard to clog up an intercooler tho. but like i said, im no expert. was hoping someone would have seen or heard of someone dealing with this in the past.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-05-2019, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
You need to scan for codes w/ a quality code reader.

Also, you need to tell us what the MAP and Baro readings are w/ KOEO.
Patriot and jokester00 like this.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-06-2019, 04:28 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Tee in a gauge on the MAP line and lets see what your actual pressure is -- the system should hold 30psi easily

General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-06-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

was watching the pressure from my scangauge 2 as i was running, thats where i was getting my info from. didnt pull any codes from that, didnt hook up my good obd 2 reader tho, tore damn thing down last nite, so its gonna be a day or two before its back together, but when ive got it back up and running, ill take a look with the good scanner. the readings i was getting for map was 0.1, and it seems like it was moving up properly. like i was saying, i got about halfway into the throttle, and it sounded like it started to bog down, and then the boot blew off, was watching scangauge and it was at 19psi, which if i understand correctly is directly from map sensor, correct? which i did change, and really hadnt seen any difference before and after changing the map sensor and hose. got about the same readings both ways, and am consistently blowing the hose off at about 19psi. thanks all of you for your help. i do appreciate it. cant afford a new truck or to take this in to a mechanic, and i value you guys effort for someone you dont know.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-06-2019, 03:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
If the units are in psi, the LOWEST MAP reading would be atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi at sea level).

That is why we need to see MAP, Baro, and EBP (if you have the late 04 engine) at KOEO.

Oh btw - the scangauge is a terrible code reader.
jokester00 and Hydro like this.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-06-2019, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Barometric usually reads out in inches of mercury (29.9 Hg) = atmospheric pressure 14.7 -- depending on your altitude

The Baro sensor is inside the cab near the steering column

As @bismic mentioned, all three should read the same or nearly

Use Forscan(windows version) or Torque Pro(android)

General note:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode